April 24, 2024, 02:07:07 PM

1,531,645 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

The real reason for the war in Iraq?

Started by Daddy, July 14, 2007, 08:08:12 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Daddy

QuotePresident Bush attempted to convince the nation that Saddam Hussein had WMD as justification for invading Iraq in 2003. In Oct. 2002, for example, he stated, ?If we know Saddam Hussein has dangerous weapons today ? and we do ? does it make any sense for the world to wait to confront him as he grows even stronger and develops even more dangerous weapons??

But today on the progressive radio program The Cappy McGarr Show, host Cappy McGarr reveals through a conversation with former Sen. Majority Leader Tom Daschle that in private, Bush?s real motivation was a personal vendetta:

Of all the reasons used to justify this awful war, the one that stunned me the most?and will shock you?was the one I heard from a close friend of mine former Senate Majority Leader Tom Daschle. Senator Daschle was Majority Leader at the time.

The Senate and The House Leadership were meeting with President Bush for a weekly breakfast back then, and as our country was leading up to the Iraq war. ? Bush got to talking about why we needed this war, and here?s what he said to Senator Daschle ?We need to get Saddam Hussein?that Mother _______ tried to take out my Dad.?
Listen to the audio:
http://websrvr80il.audiovideoweb.com/il80web20037/ThinkProgress/2007/CAPPY%20-%20Bush%20Revenge%20War.mp3

http://thinkprogress.org/2007/07/14/bush-saddam-dad/

What are your thoughts on this?

I'm not surprised. I thought his father's history with Saddam had a major role in his invasion of Iraq.  Now it's out.  Just another reason to say that he's a horrible president.

Flameow

Wow.  He sacrified American soldiers just to settle some stupid grudge?  His dad isn't even harmed, I don't know why he was blubbering about it.
I'm really at a loss for words here...that's shocking.

Ash

Didn't his dad let Saddam go in the first Persian Gulf War?

The Americans had him cornered, but they let him go with a cease fire or peace treaty.

Kalahari Inkantation

Wpw. Now that's unbelievable. A a reason this war started was because Hussein tried to kill his father? He didn't even succeed...

Snorkel

I believe it completely. But it was definitely part of a bigger picture.

I think the war was pretty obviously to
A) give the Bush Administration more power than it should have over the country (Patriot Act, wiretapping, etc all in the name of "security" from "terrorists") and
B) to be like "this is what will happen to you, bitchez" to the Middle East, for oil

So, 9/11 happens (by real "terrorists" or the government, who knows, it's another argument), Bush & Co. (really Cheney) sees it as a perfect opportunity to achieve aforementioned things, however they need a scapegoat to make the public feel like the war has a discernible purpose, so Bush probably goes "oh howbout that Hussein guy, yeah fuck him he tried to take out my dad"; Hussein works perfectly, the lines between him and Al-Quaeda can easily be smeared in the media and retarded American public, so they go with that.

Further evidence of the oil part is probably the Bush Administration's whole reluctancy to touch on global warming at all, because that would obviously lead to the conclusion that oil is bad, and at this point anyone who can see what's happening in the Middle East can see that we're there at least partly because of oil. However, a federal judge ordered the Administration to release a full report on global warming soon (they're 2 years overdue), so that's good.

I had a good conclusion to this in mind, but I forgot what it was.  psyduck;

YPrrrr

I'm pretty confident we didn't go in there for oil. They're supposed to have a lot, yes, but much of it is untapped. The revenge for his father thing seems far more likely, especially knowing how stupid our president is and all.

As for trying to kill his dad? WTH? Sadaam would have trouble launching an attack on Israel let alone a country halfway across the world. What a dumbass.

Snorkel

Quote from: Your Posting Rival on August 23, 2007, 07:43:31 AM
I'm pretty confident we didn't go in there for oil. They're supposed to have a lot, yes, but much of it is untapped. The revenge for his father thing seems far more likely, especially knowing how stupid our president is and all.

As for trying to kill his dad? WTH? Sadaam would have trouble launching an attack on Israel let alone a country halfway across the world. What a dumbass.

But plenty of the surrounding countries have oil, and I believe the war was in part to say to them, "you better pass legislation allowing foreign companies to take your oil, or else".

YPrrrr

Quote from: Snorks B. Hindenbergh on August 23, 2007, 09:05:22 AM
But plenty of the surrounding countries have oil, and I believe the war was in part to say to them, "you better pass legislation allowing foreign companies to take your oil, or else".
I don't know... Kuwait already practically worshipes us

Title27GT

Haven't we known this from the begginning?
Ever since the soldiers were starting to come up with nothing as far as WMDs, and the morale of the country started to fade, we started questioning Bush. Republicans have always been the more violent party, and Bush is the epitamy of what that means. We have killed so many Iraqi's, yet we are only treading water. The Problem is, we're so deep into it that it would take possibly a year to pull our soldiers out.

Gman61

Lets think about this. Even if they didnt have bio weapons we still should have gone. What kind of people are you that you think we shouldn't intervene to save hundreds of thousands of innocent lives? Saddam husein was a mass murderer. If you think this war is wrong then you must think WWII was wrong too.

ncba93ivyase

Quote from: Gman61 on November 12, 2007, 09:09:10 PM
Lets think about this. Even if they didnt have bio weapons we still should have gone. What kind of people are you that you think we shouldn't intervene to save hundreds of thousands of innocent lives? Saddam husein was a mass murderer. If you think this war is wrong then you must think WWII was wrong too.
lets stop murder by murdering millions more AWESOME

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on June 18, 2014, 07:58:34 PMthis isa great post i will use it in my sig

Gman61

We havent murdered millions. We killed terrorists whose daily activities consisted of making car bombs and killing jews and shiites

Daddy

Quote from: Gman61 on November 12, 2007, 09:12:56 PM
We havent murdered millions. We killed terrorists whose daily activities consisted of making car bombs and killing jews and shiites
They weren't terrorists. And how dare you try to claim that we haven't killed any innocent people.

Also, here is an interesting quote from Immortal Technique's "Bin Laden"

QuoteThey say the rebels in Iraq still fight for Saddam
But that's bullshit, I'll show you why it's totally wrong
Cuz if another country invaded the hood tonight
It'd be warfare through Harlem, and Washington Heights
I wouldn't be fightin' for Bush or White America's dream
I'd be fightin' for my people's survival and self-esteem
I wouldn't fight for racist churches from the south, my nigga
I'd be fightin' to keep the occupation out, my nigga
You ever clock someone who talk shit, or look at you wrong?
Imagine if they shot at you, and was rapin' your moms

We're shooting at them, we're blowing up their houses, we're destroying their nation.  If some one came to our country and did that, even if you didn't like Bush, would you sit around and let that happen, or would you fight to preserve all that you know?

o ya but things like blackwater and abu ghraib r okay cuz they isn't christian

ncba93ivyase

Quote from: Gman61 on November 12, 2007, 09:12:56 PM
i think i was going more into the millions that were killed during world war two HINT: we killed hundreds of thousands of innocent japanese

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on June 18, 2014, 07:58:34 PMthis isa great post i will use it in my sig

Gman61

WE keep collateral damae to a minimum and we actually havent killed many innocent people. And we certanly havent killed any on purpose. And how dare you accuse our military of doing that

Go Up