Started by Corbin, July 13, 2007, 10:22:32 PM

previous topic - next topic

Are you promilitary or antimilitary

Promilitary
Antimilitary
My thoughts are somewhat in the middle
Go Down

Corbin

Alright, I've heard many different opinions on military and war and Bush, and I have my own. But I wish to hear others as well. Constructive arguments, please...I don't want to see flaming at all -_- I may be new but I know how to run things...anyway.

My thoughts are that...well, I'm really unsure. I'm kinda in the middle. Sure, I'm all for protecting myself, and my country if it comes to it, but did Bush go too far with basically taking Iraq over? Maybe taking over is too much...we captured Saddam Hussein and he has been executed, but we still stay, even though we've trained plenty of the Iraqi citizens to defend their country from more Al-Qaeda attempts (not sure if I spelled that completely right...). My thoughts are, we keep our troops there longer and they will come to rely on us instead of their newly acclaimed skills. Pull out now and watch from the sidelines to see what happens and maybe they will do better. What do you all think?

Snorkel

July 13, 2007, 10:25:17 PM #1 Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 10:34:05 PM by Snorkel
I see it this way. Militaries fight in war. War kills people. Killing people is bad.

Militaries also absorb massive amounts of federal funds, which is not a particularly good thing either.

I'd be fine with a little military, like border-control and homeland security for the most part military, but I'm totally against any organization whose purpose is to go overseas and kill people.

ncba93ivyase

If any country is to have a military, it should be for defense only. No country should ever raid any other country, and if one does, allied nations should just defend their land. Still, I'd prefer it if no nation were to have a military, but then most nations would just have a few nuclear weapons and cause destruction on a far greater scale.

My father is in the military, and I'm against it in almost every possible way. I'd say police forces can be considered a form of military, and maintaining peace and harmony is completely understandable. Aside from that, I'm against it.

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on June 18, 2014, 07:58:34 PMthis isa great post i will use it in my sig

Daddy

Any idiot knows a military is required....  They are supposed to protect and keep order.

Invading countries to fight in wars is the issue.

Corbin

Quote from: JMV290 on July 13, 2007, 10:31:49 PM
Any idiot knows a military is required....  They are supposed to protect and keep order.

Are you quite sure it is truly a requirement? I mean, what if there was never a military to begin with. What if, due to there being no military, we had no nuclear weapons? Then what? Would we still fight? I think we would...I have heard a saying once, and I think it fits this nicely. To light a candle is to cast a shadow. Meaning, for all the light, there is dark. And here, it translates to, no matter if we have peace or not, there will still be chaos, destruction, despair, and everything else that comes with crime. We, as individuals are plenty capable of learning to defend ourselves. So, a military is not required. But we use it anyway because the human race is a lazy one that doesn't like to do things. The select few in the military are the ones who are actually doing something for us. So, in that sense, a military is required. A matter of opinion it is whether they are required or not.

Daddy

Quote from: Corbin on July 14, 2007, 11:42:55 AM

Are you quite sure it is truly a requirement? I mean, what if there was never a military to begin with. What if, due to there being no military, we had no nuclear weapons? Then what? Would we still fight? I think we would...I have heard a saying once, and I think it fits this nicely. To light a candle is to cast a shadow. Meaning, for all the light, there is dark. And here, it translates to, no matter if we have peace or not, there will still be chaos, destruction, despair, and everything else that comes with crime. We, as individuals are plenty capable of learning to defend ourselves. So, a military is not required. But we use it anyway because the human race is a lazy one that doesn't like to do things. The select few in the military are the ones who are actually doing something for us. So, in that sense, a military is required. A matter of opinion it is whether they are required or not.
A military is responsible for protecting the government.  If a rebel group arises the military should squelch the threat.   

Offensive-wise though, there is no need to use the military, only in defense.

Corbin

Quote from: JMV290 on July 14, 2007, 11:47:56 AM
Quote from: Corbin on July 14, 2007, 11:42:55 AM

A military is responsible for protecting the government.  If a rebel group arises the military should squelch the threat.   

Offensive-wise though, there is no need to use the military, only in defense.
Well, suppose you were the military, just you, and your neighbour attacked you. You defended, but still took some lateral damage due to lack of defence. Would you not return the attack? A counter-attack, so to speak?

Daddy

Quote from: Corbin on July 14, 2007, 11:58:33 AM
Well, suppose you were the military, just you, and your neighbour attacked you. You defended, but still took some lateral damage due to lack of defence. Would you not return the attack? A counter-attack, so to speak?
Attacking a threat is part of defending yourself.  If you must attack to protect yourself, then there is no problem with it.

Corbin

Meh, true..I can't think of anything to argue back at this point...will get back to that one in a bit. >.<

Houdini

Corbin

Quote from: Houdini on July 14, 2007, 12:45:05 PM
Give peace a chance.
I would gladly give peace a chance if others would allow me to do so. But with those around who act out in violence, peace is a thing of fiction in this world.

Go Up