April 23, 2024, 01:19:08 PM

1,531,645 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Habitable planet found

Started by Selkie, April 26, 2007, 02:15:59 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Selkie

So as most of you probably know by now, a rocky planet much like Earth has been discovered in the Milky Way galaxy, some 20 light years away. It could possibly harbor water, and even life.

So, what are your thoughts? Anything.

Do you think we should speed up production of technology to send us that far to see what the planet holds in store?

If we do, what if there is life there already?

Do you think that there is intelligent life like humans there? or soon to be there? Or even once there, but were destroyed?

What if they actually thinking the same exact thing about Earth as we are about them?

Share your thoughts.

ncba93ivyase

I think the idea just watching the world from afar would be good enough for now. It would be impossible for us to send humans twenty light years at this point in time, and it may takes many millennia until we could have such a technology and until our species just begins to adapt to life with lower gravity and an artificial environment; assuming we have space colonies orbiting earth, that is. (and even then, we'd be far from being fully adapated and would still suffer.)

I'd suggest we just build a few probes to check out that planet and a few others to check out other regions of our universe. We should focus on Mars and Titan for now, since they're the most similar to Earth and are much closer.

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on June 18, 2014, 07:58:34 PMthis isa great post i will use it in my sig

Daddy

Quote from: Lawlz on April 26, 2007, 02:24:21 PM
I think the idea just watching the world from afar would be good enough for now. It would be impossible for us to send humans twenty light years at this point in time, and it may takes many millennia until we could have such a technology and until our species just begins to adapt to life with lower gravity and an artificial environment; assuming we have space colonies orbiting earth, that is. (and even then, we'd be far from being fully adapated and would still suffer.)

I'd suggest we just build a few probes to check out that planet and a few others to check out other regions of our universe. We should focus on Mars and Titan for now, since they're the most similar to Earth and are much closer.
What about Europa?

Also, I think terraforming Venus would be likely.    If we can reduce the levels of carbon dioxide Venus will cool down a lot.   It will also decrease the atmospheric pressure.

ncba93ivyase

Quote from: JMV290 on April 26, 2007, 02:45:14 PM

What about Europa?

Also, I think terraforming Venus would be likely.    If we can reduce the levels of carbon dioxide Venus will cool down a lot.   It will also decrease the atmospheric pressure.
If we can't restore our own planet to good condition, turning an inhabitable planet like Venus into a suitable environment would be impossible.

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on June 18, 2014, 07:58:34 PMthis isa great post i will use it in my sig

mariofreak55

Quote from: Lawlz on April 26, 2007, 02:58:43 PM

What about Europa?

If we can't restore our own planet to good condition, turning an inhabitable planet like Venus into a suitable environment would be impossible.
QFT, lets fix the Earth before we go off and fix Venus.

V

Quote from: mariofreak55 on April 26, 2007, 05:03:34 PM

What about Europa?

Venus is mah fav planet.

Seriously though, Earth needs all the help it can get right now. Why the hell are they trying to make other planets suitable for human life.

Necro

Quote from: The Infamous V on April 26, 2007, 05:04:50 PM

What about Europa?

Venus is mah fav planet.

Seriously though, Earth needs all the help it can get right now. Why the hell are they trying to make other planets suitable for human life.
In case we ever need to move there, and keep the human species going, if we're unable to un-fux our planet.
You asked me once, what was in Room 101. I told you that you knew the answer already. Everyone knows it. The thing that is in Room 101 is Necro

V

Quote from: Necro Gaara on April 26, 2007, 05:20:17 PM
Quote from: The Infamous V on April 26, 2007, 05:04:50 PM

What about Europa?

Venus is mah fav planet.

In case we ever need to move there, and keep the human species going, if we're unable to un-fux our planet.

I meant, why are we trying to do it NOW, while our own planet is suffering? Shouldn't we just put all our effort into fixing up this one?

But that would be awesome if we were to move to another planet.  flower;

anus

I think it's amazing that it's possible that there actually may be life out there. If there isn't, I'd be astounded that we may be the only creatures in the whole universe. The Virgo Supercluster is about 900000000000000000000 meters in diameter. How amazing would it be if we were the only life in all of that? And that's just a portion of the universe.

If there's life, that's great. Unfortunately, it's so far away, that it's probably impossible for us to go visit it or even interact with the possible life over there. It's still awesome.
dicks

Corporal Atlas

Inter-Galactic War is win. But I don't think we should explore it. We've screwed up this planet enough, we'll just do it to another planet in good time.

I am the Atheist God.
*Is searching for way to be noticed*

Necro

Quote from: GCD333 on April 26, 2007, 08:13:34 PM
I think it's amazing that it's possible that there actually may be life out there. If there isn't, I'd be astounded that we may be the only creatures in the whole universe. The Virgo Supercluster is about 900000000000000000000 meters in diameter. How amazing would it be if we were the only life in all of that? And that's just a portion of the universe.

If there's life, that's great. Unfortunately, it's so far away, that it's probably impossible for us to go visit it or even interact with the possible life over there. It's still awesome.
I don't. I think that's a given.

I'm amazed that I may live to see it. Doubt it, though. sweat;
You asked me once, what was in Room 101. I told you that you knew the answer already. Everyone knows it. The thing that is in Room 101 is Necro

ncba93ivyase

Quote from: Necro Gaara on April 30, 2007, 07:44:50 AM

We won't be able to travel to faraway planets during our lifetime, but I'm sure we will find life in the next five decades. I can see space hotels becoming popular before we reach the next century.

Necro

Quote from: Lawlz on April 30, 2007, 10:11:43 AM
Quote from: Necro Gaara on April 30, 2007, 07:44:50 AM

We won't be able to travel to faraway planets during our lifetime, but I'm sure we will find life in the next five decades. I can see space hotels becoming popular before we reach the next century.
I know, I wasn't refering specifically to this planet, and not really a habitable planet. Just the chances of us sending something to a closer one if we ever find one. And with advance in technology, it won't be long before we finally go to Mars. I can't wait for that, defianetly happen before 2020 at the least. educate;

cackslop

Quote from: Ripster on April 26, 2007, 02:15:59 PM
So as most of you probably know by now, a rocky planet much like Earth has been discovered in the Milky Way galaxy, some 20 light years away. It could possibly harbor water, and even life.

So, what are your thoughts? Anything.

Do you think we should speed up production of technology to send us that far to see what the planet holds in store?

If we do, what if there is life there already?

Do you think that there is intelligent life like humans there? or soon to be there? Or even once there, but were destroyed?

What if they actually thinking the same exact thing about Earth as we are about them?

Share your thoughts.

Speeding up the production of tech will do nothing but make more tech...

And it doesn't matter if we try harder...there are inventors & scientists working on upgrading EVERTHING, ALL THE TIME.

and we can't travel the speed of light anyway....not physically possible..the human body passes out at 5 g's...light speed is 47,382,093 G's....our bodies would implode, our organs smashed into nill due to the sheer force exerted by the craft.

and even THAN....we'd have to endure such a punishment for 20 YEARS!!!

Embrace Your Carnal Urges.

NYY3085

I think we have a better chance at terraforming Mars, if necessary.
...Only if we end up making our own planet uninhabitable. suicide;
Or if the human population grows too large.

Go Up