Boyah Living Dictionary & Thesaurus [ENGLISH MAJORS & VOCAB ENTHUSIASTS WANTED]

Started by Kalahari Inkantation, September 19, 2022, 02:42:17 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Kalahari Inkantation

In this thread we will help each other remember or newly discover that one extremely specific word (or phrase or expression etc.) we need for whatever particular purpose. happydood;

or merely to satisfy our curiosities

('hmm'st i wonder if there's a word that means _______')

Providing context for your intended usage of this mystery word helps. hocuspocus;

Fictional terms, or dictionary-unrecognized terms, slang, words coined for fictional media, or from amateur 'wordsmith' projects like the Dictionary of Obscure Sorrows (and so on) are allowed, please just make sure to indicate that they're fictional and cite their origin (if from fantasy media etc.) if possible. wariodood;

Kalahari Inkantation

September 19, 2022, 02:46:17 PM #1 Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 02:54:04 PM by Magyarorszag
What is that word that means something like the opposite of tactile or tangible? A word for a category of non-physical objects. befuddlement

CONTEXT: It's for my next thread idea (naturally). sillydood;

Quote[non-tangible] items u collect

ME##

Quote from: Magyarorszag on September 19, 2022, 02:46:17 PMWhat is that word that means something like the opposite of tactile or tangible? A word for a category of non-physical objects. befuddlement

Vapourware u collect

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: ME## on September 19, 2022, 02:58:43 PM
Quote from: Magyarorszag on September 19, 2022, 02:46:17 PMWhat is that word that means something like the opposite of tactile or tangible? A word for a category of non-physical objects. befuddlement

Vapourware u collect

Hmm. befuddlement

actually i like this one lol

But what if I mean something non-tangible that actually does exist (...like Chrome tabs sillydood;)? confuseddood;

Samus Aran

Kalahari Inkantation

Mando Pandango

I also assumed that's what this was and was disappointed when i got here

"Intangible" is a word btw. You can just use a regular thesaurus
Quote from: Magyarorszag on August 22, 2018, 10:27:46 PMjesus absolute shitdicking christ, nu-boyah

Mando Pandango

I'm good at repairs and I'm under each snare
Intangible
Bet you didn't think so I command you to
Panoramic view
Look I'll make it all manageable
Quote from: Magyarorszag on August 22, 2018, 10:27:46 PMjesus absolute shitdicking christ, nu-boyah

YPrrrr

I really thought Tec was baiting someone to say intangible for some ulterior purpose

Kalahari Inkantation

Mando Pandango

Kalahari Inkantation

i wonder if happenstantial is a word

Still, it wouldn't quite capture the 'serendipity' of serendipitous, if that makes any sense. smth;

Mando Pandango

deliberate
premeditated

i was thinking more about the aspect of fate in relation to the way i think about serendipity BUT the internet gives me these which are in their own way antonyms of "happenstance" and yet I think they apply also

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: Mando Pandango on September 20, 2022, 10:18:31 AMYou can just use a regular thesaurus

also to address this point

thesauri are neither 100% reliable nor nearly 100% comprehensive

my search always begins with a regular thesaurus, yet all too often they're completely missing a related word i know exists

Now just imagine the words I don't know exist that they're also missing. smithicide;

i forget what the example was the other day that was the last straw that prompted this thread, but an extremely obvious synonym was missing from most of the popular online thesauri, which was infuriating because it was so obvious lol

No computer or index of any kind can yet solve that problem. Yet a large enough group of knowledgeable humans can.

Hence I come to you, Boyah, for our living thesaurus. happydood;

Go Up