April 18, 2024, 07:24:59 AM

1,531,643 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

suggest horror movies

Started by 6M69I69B9, October 19, 2022, 07:25:16 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

6M69I69B9

weird of me to post this considering maybe ive watched the most horror movies here but havent really been into the grind in a long while aside from just a few new releases

also just wanna say out of nowhere that halloween ends was kinda lame
cannot believe i went to the theatres for it. really wished id go to the theatres for h18 or at least hkills then...
Quote from: Travis on April 03, 2015, 10:52:52 PM
gotta eat the booty like groceries

Quote from: Travis on March 01, 2018, 08:44:39 PM
Quote from: reefer on March 01, 2018, 06:15:08 PM
Technology and globalism go hand and hand. If you want to be on the forefront of technology then you gotta be global

the earth is flat you globecuck

ME##

Have u watched the Scream series? Honestly top tier horror camp

And was Kyle Richards bad in Halloween Ends? saddood;

strongbad

good thread, also want recommendations

what would you recommend MIB?

Samus Aran

6M69I69B9

October 25, 2022, 05:29:00 PM #4 Last Edit: October 25, 2022, 06:54:34 PM by 6M69I69B9
Quote from: ME## on October 20, 2022, 09:15:56 AMHave u watched the Scream series? Honestly top tier horror camp

And was Kyle Richards bad in Halloween Ends? saddood;
no actually. idk i cant get into horror if it's like an on going series (specifically 40min episodes like some soap opera), only exception is if it's an anthology. i need a movie lol.
but anthologies in movies kinda kill it for me, idk my tastes in media are kinda peculiar

also idk who they are, but i didn't see any significantly bad acting, though that cunningham guy was a bit iffy but w/e

Quote from: strongbad on October 21, 2022, 03:24:43 PMgood thread, also want recommendations

what would you recommend MIB?

im gonna make a write up soon hol up boyzzzzz

Technology and globalism go hand and hand. If you want to be on the forefront of technology then you gotta be global

6M69I69B9

October 30, 2022, 04:48:38 AM #5 Last Edit: October 31, 2022, 02:53:36 AM by 6M69I69B9
@strongbad

DAMN I can't believe I was cooking this shit for the longest. DISCLAIMER: Some may not be horror movies, or marketed as at least. Moving on, I actually have a ton of oldies as my favorite, most are mainstream, but definitely threw some indies in there. Also, I just feel the more modern movies are, the more of a caricature of horror it becomes and how it values production and graphics more than a well-thought out plot.

Halloween (1978)
Just a classic slasher. I don't even know what to say more about it. The build up/pacing is actually great. The exposure to Michael is pretty conservative, but conditions the viewer to be stalked as much as the other characters. Also, the lighting in this movie? So prolific, that I'd honestly suggest artists even sketch frames from this movie to study contrast. Fun fact: in Halloween Kills, one of the guys behind the lighting contacted the original lighting guy for the original Halloween movie to get some input. They did a great job with it. Mandatory horror film for cinema enthusiasts in general.

The Exorcist (1973)
Honestly, I don't know exactly where to put this, my top five favorites? Top 3? Anyway, this movie and even the trivia behind this movie is actually so interesting and unironically creepy. I was very religious, God-fearing when I was a kid, it was so bad I repeated mantras of my own  Back to the movie, the build up is bomb. Damien, the main priest involved in Regan's case has a side story and background that really influenced the exorcism's process. Seeing his faith and patience tested imo is very powerful to me. And the cases surrounding Regan's possession is insane.

Jacob's Ladder (1996)
Veteran and his war buddies are facing some hallucinations. Authorities intervene as Jacob and co. seek out answers. I don't even know how to write this up more considering the nature of this film, and you might revisit this tidbit knowing why after watching. I love a good cover up story despite how much it stresses me when immersed. The halllucinations can be intense to people in general, but imo slightly corny. Typing this up, reminiscing about the ending still boggles my mind, and the fears and paranoia being immersed into the plot is off-putting. And fun fact: the scenes in this movie actually inspired some of Silent Hill's content, it's a favorite of Akihiro Imamura.

Ok, I definitely am gonna get back to this, but I NEED to get to sleep and I've been screwing around for too much before I gotta attend something later today, but I'm gonna list the rest, BUT going to have a little write up on some of these later on, possibly... :

:::::::::::::::::NEW DESCRS ADDED AS OF 10/31/2022::::::::::::::::

Ok so w/ the following I became much more loose. I've gone through too much today, but still wanted to detail a little more for Boyagers for the sake of Halloween. Even if I haven't given a movie a description, tbh I think all movies listed here are generally solid regardless.

Halloween (2018)
IMO the best one in the trilogy, unironically a good standalone movie as a sequel to the og. This honestly set the tone for what the next two installations could bring, but damn lmao that was FUMBLED hard. Definitely watch if you like Myers and Laurie Strode and co. to be continued. Other timelines unfortunately don't really capitalize on it and went for weird paths to furthering Myers lore when they already had a great cast. Don't get me wrong, the recent trilogy in general I guess is a celebration of Halloween (franchise) over the years as well and sort of ties each of the original Halloween movies 1-6 in these three movies through themes, but the next two after this one can simply be dismissed imo.

The Omen (1976)
This movie annoys the hell out of me, but definitely unsettling concept to me in particular. With having mentioned my religious background, it's obvious lol. The "spiritual stealth" the omen has going on in this movie and influence of Damien is tiring. Actually, I don't know if I wanna include this movie in the list anymore bc it's literally a baby getting what they want in the lamest possible way. This movie's lame nvm, leaving it on here to warn the masses.

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
among us

Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Tbh, I just loved this movie when I was younger, nothing too special, but it's like a Hollywood Video classic rental for me. Just survival tactics and zombie killing going on, done in a solid way.

V/H/S/2 (2013)
even then, just Safe Haven imo was the best one

Creep (2014):
Definitely recommend. It's just those unjustified assumptions of someone being creepy being justified in this one. Unsettling atmospheres. Weird body language. Weird phrasing, weird tone. I actually like this movie and truly suggest it.

Get Out (2017)
if I get sus vibes from whitey toward me, it's definitely this movie that captures some of it LMAO.

Us (2019)
Actually a favorite of mine recently. Family goes on a trip and are met with their dopplegangers, each one faces their own. I wish I could say more about it, but it's actually a movie to watch mostly blind imo. I felt the theme of this was a tie to validation and self-esteem in some ways, very ambiguously put but that's just my general take on it. I recommend this entirely. It's a fun trip.

The Poughkeepsie Tapes (2008)
If you're into general murder, disappearances, kidnappings, with a fairly competent serial killer with some mystery involved, then you might be down for this one. Lots of VHS vintage editing, too if you like that aesthetic. I believe the settings is through the late 90s to 2000s. The format of this movie goes by some order of: documentary setting, to news reports, to found footage reports. The psychological aspects of some of the characters this movie depicts is insane. We have the manipulative, egotistical, dominate serial killer, a break down of a victim's mentality- worth a watch imo.

Rosemary's Baby (1968)
Possession (1981)
The Thing (1982)
Misery (1990)
The Blair Witch Project (1999, favorite)
The Strangers (2006)
The House of the Devil (2008)
Hereditary (2018)

shit horror spectacle unironically or ironically:
Jack Frost (1996)
Jack Frost 2 (2000)
This movie and its sequel both always had my interest in convenience stores in the late 90s, early 2000s. Not worth it, but if you just want a shitpost in the form of a festive horror movie that doesn't take itself seriously, well, there you go. Unironically funny with that other Jack Frost movie getting associated with these movies by premise and title, despite no true connection.

The Room (2001)
CLASSIC.

Birdemic (2008)
Birdemic II (2011)
BASED environmental propaganda

Poultrygiest (2006)
Frankenhooker (1990)

Terror Firmer (1999)
former favorite of mine when i loved trying to be edgy and facetious

Killer Condom (1996)
based gay rep in based plot

The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra (2001)
The Lost Skeleton Returns Again (2008)

?????:
Guzo (2003)

Another horror movie that scared me as a kid, was Deep Blue Sea from I think 1999? That shit was so rough for me to watch, I unironically think I was traumatized from that movie by imagining sharks in my carpet floor for a while. But I don't think I'd recommend it. Just wanted to mention it because why not.

Go Up