April 15, 2024, 10:24:56 PM

1,531,643 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

retro handheld emulator

Started by reeper, February 01, 2022, 10:49:05 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

reeper

Anyone have one? If so which one do you have

I ordered this one since it had good reviews, won't have it for some time though

https://www.keepretro.com/products/miyoo-mini

silvertone

i sorta do. I bought a tiny monitor that theu use in cars and a raspbery pi that i can power both by a batter if i wanted to but i hadnt purchased any products specifically designed for it.

i was considering getting a steam deck to be an emu console + my gaming comp but i canceled it and im gonna wait unril
money is moar stable

C.Mongler

i have two. i was actually considering a miyoo mini, but then i was like if i'm spending that maybe i should just get a retroid pocket 2+, but then i was like if I'm spending that maybe i should just get an odin lol. but also i have a steam deck preordered so probs should just get neither. but anyway, the ones i have:

PiBoy DMG

the piboy dmg is p good, and it runs on a pi4 so its relatively very powerful, however i've kind of stopped using it lol and it mostly comes down to the hardware design tbh. the thing is VERY heavy, it's not really ergonomic for longer play sessions and anything with more advanced controls than the 16bit era is a pain to play on the thing, the shoulder buttons suck, the ventilation is bad, and the speaker is actually straight up garbaly doo doo. on top of that, there's a lot of bugs with the software; phantom inputs, fan speed issues, booting issues etc. it requires a shitload of tinkering to get it the way you like it, and it seemingly can fall apart sometimes due to buggies. idk, i don't hate it by any means, but for the price I was hoping it was going to be a bit more solid.

RG351P

i bought this because i wanted something lighter and more pockatable than my piboy. honestly, i really like this thing. 351elec is a nice firmware, it more-or-less works as expected out of the box, and feels great to play. the only complaint is power; this thing's a weak little bitch and only really is good for up to SNES and some lighter PSX games. hope one day there's something in this form factor that can do N64 and Dreamcast (the 552 is a lot bigger than this thing and also is way too expensive for what the chipset offers lol)

Mando Pandango

I have mega Game Boy nostalgia so I'd really like to get an analogue pocket for a bunch of reasons.
Quote from: Magyarorszag on August 22, 2018, 10:27:46 PMjesus absolute shitdicking christ, nu-boyah

reeper

The steam deck looks cool,

Also just finding out about the Odin too. Guess I'll have to see what they both can do. Hopefully they're will be one that can play emulation and new games too.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/odin-the-ultimate-gaming-handheld#/

C.Mongler

Steam Deck should be the GOAT handheld in terms of power, though it's definitely a chonky guy. Not something I really plan on leaving the house with lol, but will be good to play some PC games or emulate PS2/Gamecube while I watch Golden Girls in the background with my wife lel

The Odin is super compelling tho. The upper end pro can even run Windows on ARM and play some lighter PC stuff. I do want to see how the Odin Lite shakes out before I consider a purchase though; the chipset might be enough for what I'd want to play on it, and it's like $100 cheaper than the pro and should have a better battery life.

also probs should hack my launch switch at some point lol

silvertone

Odin looks cool from a glance. if it can play gamecube - ps2 games im sold.

Mando Pandango

agreed odin looks cool, but being android-based i can't help but get flashbacks to the ouya
Quote from: Magyarorszag on August 22, 2018, 10:27:46 PMjesus absolute shitdicking christ, nu-boyah

strongbad

fuck these all are so cool. i had no idea this market even existed

reeper

C.Mongler

i dunno if i'd bother with a pi based handheld at this point tbh

the retroid pocket 2+ is a hundred bucks and blows even pi4b out of the water lol

the gpi case plus a pi zero 2 (if u can even find one cuz Pi's are hard to find right now) would run you a hundred bucks, and then u got a device that can't even play all PS1 games (maybe even some snes tbh) as opposed to the retroid which can play n64 and dreamcast well

strongbad

okay real question where do you guys get your roms in 2022? i haven't torrented in ages and idk what is good anymore.

Hiro

C.Mongler

Quote from: strongbad on February 08, 2022, 05:15:23 PMokay real question where do you guys get your roms in 2022? i haven't torrented in ages and idk what is good anymore.
most stuff is on archive.org lol
also i would never suggest going to the roms subreddit and reading the pinned post on where to find roms, that would be illegal

Go Up