April 23, 2024, 03:31:31 PM

1,531,645 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

52 GAMES IN 52 WEEKS 2022

Started by Samus Aran, January 01, 2022, 07:04:19 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Samus Aran

January 01, 2022, 07:04:19 AM Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 08:03:17 PM by Samus Aran
As usual, here's your 52/52 thread for the year. But also, here's a question y'all. In addition to just seeing how much you can knock off your backlog, do you have any other personal gaming goals for 2022? I know I'm going to try to finish as many JRPGS and visual novels as I can this year, as well as spend more time on speedrunning and randomizer races.

Anyway, have at it!

GAMES OBLITERATED

1. MELTY BLOOD Actress Again Current Code - 1/5 - 1 hr
2. Left 4 Dead 2 - 1/19 - 10 hrs
3. Elden Ring - 4/9 - 204 hrs
4. Tsukihime Plus-Disc - 4/16 - 1.5 hrs
5. Baba Is You - 4/20 - 7.5 hrs
6. Touhou 11: Subterranean Animism - 5/8 - idk many, many hours of attempts
7. Sonic Adventure 2: Battle - 5/16  10 hrs
8. Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight - 6/17 - 5 hrs
9. UDONGEIN X - 6/26 - 3 hrs
10. Rhythm Heaven Megamix - 7/14 - 8 hrs
11. Save Room - 9/15 - 2 hrs
12. Bomberman 64 - 9/17 - 9 hrs (for true ending)
13. Pokemon Emerald - 11/8 - 70 hrs
14. Threads of Fate - 11/22 - 20 hrs
15. Pocket Fighter/Super Gem Fighter Mega Mix - 12/1 - 45 mins

C.Mongler

January 01, 2022, 07:45:32 AM #1 Last Edit: December 28, 2022, 05:48:33 AM by C.Mongler
o shit

THE MONGLERZONE

Hmm my goal is to beat some games I already own lol. I spent a shitload on making old games look good on modern displays last year, this year I need to actually play some old games lol

GAMES DEFEATED

1. Umurangi Generation - 1/4/2022 - A couple of hours
Rating: 4/5
umurangi generation is a pretty neat game that made me think quite a bit. it's essentially a tale of the end of the world where you're some youngins' trying to live life while the world collapses around you. the game's a first-person photography game where it gives you a list of shots to take, and by doing so it forces you to investigate the world, which is entirely how the story is told. there's no actual dialogue in this game despite it definitely having a plot. it's pretty interesting overall, and definitely made a lot of parallels to the world we live in right now. that said, the game did have an ametureish quality to it, with a fair share of bugs and jankiness, and some parts of some levels feel a little undercooked or plain, and it's also a very short experience, though does invite some replaying. p good game tho.

2. Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart - 1/12/2022 - 10 hours or somethin', forgot to check lol
Rating: 5/5
aight so this is admittedly only my second ratchet & clank game; the first being the 2016 reboot/movie tie-in which i found kind of meh overall. thankfully this game outshines that one in almost every fucking way imaginable. the movement is super fluid and there's an expansive amount of mobility options, decently big levels to zoom around, fights are fun with a big ass arsenal of silly guns, the graphics are SHINY and so are the tunes. all-in-all i had a good time playing this one; i think my only complaint would be i would have liked a little bit more boss variety. it seemed like 75% of the  boss fights were just the same big robot. but otherwise, v good.

3. Inscryption - 1/20/2022 - 15 hours
so this is definitely a type of game that you should go into blind because it does a lot of neat, special little things that are very cool when they happen. that said, lol i don't know what to say about it that doesn't give too much away. it's a card game with a really cool spooky aesthetic and a very wacky, interesting story. it's extremely good. the only criticism i could give it is it kind of strips away a lot of the initial difficulty that draws you into the game at a certain point, but the game's still pretty engaging regardless. definitely recommend it.

4. Doom Eternal: The Ancient Gods - 1/30/2022 - 9 hours
this includes both parts 1 & 2. i had a really great time with this dlc; i think it gets rid of a lot of the bloat the core game had, has a much more focused story that doesn't rely on a lot of world building nonsense that most players don't care about, the platforming sections are a lot better this time around, and oh boy is this shit a challenge. if you didn't like the base game, tbh you will probably still hate this dlc, but i love doom eternal's combat loop. i had some minor gripes, like there's now a few enemies that have very specific ways to kill, so it kind of shoehorns you into a certain playstyle, and then the part 1 final encounter was gruelingly difficult, and the part 2 DLC final boss was just kind of annoying. like the dude has several phases, but ultimately doesn't change all that much while you also get MASSIVELY punished for making mistakes, so the boss fight is kind of tiring after a while. still, great DLC that adds a lot to what i thought was a great game.

5. Touch My Katamari - 2/10/2022 - a couple hours
Rating: 3/5
randomly was fucking with my vita and decided to boot this up and ended up playing the whole thing lol. it's pretty short, only about 10 levels with a couple more side challenges. i think the biggest issue is this game just feels like a katamari game you've already played before, which i guess isn't the worst since portable katamari is a cool novelty, but it tries to mask and market itself as a new game which it doesn't totally feel like lol. also maybe its just me, but i found katamari controls on a vita to be fucking painful; the tiny vita nubs dig into your hands trying to play this shit. and i didn't care for the touch controls at all lol. i also thought the sizing pick-up consistency was largely kind of terrible; you can pick up one object that looks clearly bigger than another, but you can't pickup that other object lol. this issue of bonking into shit constantly that you think you're big enough to pickup with the vita's inability to have as many objects on screen as other katamari games makes some of the levels SUPER fucking clutch to actually beat; if you accidentally dick around without many pickups for more than like 15-30 seconds on some levels, which is easy to find yourself doing, you will not clear the level. its certainly an impressive game for hardware like the vita, but all-in-all just kind of an okay experience lol. also the way they animated The King in this game was fucking frightening lol

6. Elden Ring - 4/3/2022 - 49 hours and 17 minutes
i really really liked this game. i think an open world concept works decently well for a souls game, and this game is filled with so many different options for play that its really cool to experiment with stuff and see how other people are doing builds. spirit ashes were real cool. arts were cool. definitely had some neat bosses, neat locales, and neat music. i think the second half of the game around atlus plateau the cracks start to show a bit; at least for me I kind of stopped wanting to organically explore because 95% of the things you find are just a cave with a boss you've already faced at the end. which i get, making games of this size with 100% new content all the time just kind of isn't realistic, but still kinda lame. also the enemy scaling in the late game is weird; dudes take like 10 hits and a whole ass battle to kill but only give you like 1% of runes needed for a level up. eventually i just kind of ran past all the common enemies because it felt like a waste of effort to fight them because i would only have like 10% of the runes needed at the next grace for a level up lol. idk still had a lot of fun tho

7. Murder House - 4/10/2022 - little less than 2 hours
decided to cop this on Switch since it was on sale and i've been interested in trying a puppet combo doink for a while. all-in-all, pretty entertaining and spooky, and they definitely hit the retro horror video game and classic slasher film vibes very nicely. it basically plays exactly like og resident evil. i also really liked how many visual options were baked into the game; definitely thought it was cool to play the game like it was some old ass found footage tape even though it made the dialogue illegible lol. the game did have some minor drawbackts tho. i thought the easter ripper chases (basically mr x shit from re 2 lol) were a bit too aggressive, but also probably felt that way because the environment was so small. he often also just appears without any sound queues whatsoever; i got attacked multiple times while investigating objects and only knew he was there because blood starting appearing on my screen lol. on that note, the game in general is pretty buggy, especially on switch. textures constantly do this weird sliding thing when you get near them, music sometimes gets fucky, and the game hard crashed three times in my 2 hours of playing lol. also loading when it reboots takes foreverrrr. still, deff worth a look if you're a fan of this kind of stuff.

8. Forza Horizon 5 - 4/13/2022 - 24 hours and 34 minutes
i guess I beat this?? there's no actual win condition to this game as far as I know lol but I got to the hall of fame post-game stuff after checking all the story mission boxes so i think that counts lol. idk it's a great game, definitely a fuckton to do, see, and unlock. looks amazing, great soundtrack, and feels like an uber extension of the burnout paradise concept if you're looking for an open world driving game in the same vein. at the end of the day though, it just feels like more forza horizon lol. like it's certainly better than 4 by nearly every metric, but would you get the exact same satisfaction from just play horizon 4 or 3 or whatever? probably lol. the story stuff is uninteresting at best and trying too hard annoying at worst, and honestly i got the most enjoyment just driving around and smashing signs and doing cool jumps and shit than i did from any of the missions or races lol. it's a great game but i think you really are gonna have to be a driving-a-virtual-car fan to get the most out of it because it's not going to grip you on story or anything like that.

9. SUPERHOT - 5/11/2022 - a little over 2 hours
the most innovative shooter i've played in years heheheheh. yeah, it's superhot, it's 2022, idk what to say about it that hasn't been said. neat game, though I prefer the VR version because you feel a bit more in control; definitely some times I got hit that felt like bullshit that would have missed me lol. also miss the ability to fucking duck from the VR version was missed in my brain, but also probably would have made the game a lot easier lol. still a fun time, interesting story, and goes by pretty quick.

10. Kirby and the Forgotten Land - 5/30/2022 - somewhere shy of 10 hours
a really dang good kirby game; would say this would crack most people's top 3 kirbs. personally i still like robobot a little bit better, but this one is really good. really interesting levels with a lot of little nooks and crannies to explore, tons of upgrades for your kirb and his copy abilities, good tunes, and a good challenge (for a kirby game lol). i don't know if it's quite "kirby's botw/odyssey moment" tbh, it's still definitely a kirby game, but it's a really fun one all the same.

11. Disco Elysium - 6/6/2022 - 20-some hours
so this is the second time i tried playing this game; the first time I kind of petered out because I couldn't figure out where to go or what to do on the second day. this time I decided to be the biggest, dumbest, highest, communistic cop in the land, and I managed to beat this bad boy. MAN, this game fucking rules. It's the role-playingest role-playing game, however doesn't have any real combat or anything like a final fantasy or elder scrolls or anything like that. you just go around trying to solve a crime while resisting (or giving in, baby!) to drugs and alcohol, or your talking tie. It's an insane, funny, and really creative experience unlike any other.

12. Donkey Kong Country Returns- 6/16/2022 - idk like 10 hours
lol idk why i decided this is what i should emulate on my steam deck, but i did, and ended up playing through the whole thing. god DAMN tho, this shit is probably in my top platformers of all time. the fucking music, the level gimmicks, the tight controls; shit fucking rules. I'm probably going to end up playing tropical freeze sooner rather than later now cuz damn this game had me smiling from beginning to end. except the last world, that shit was hard and the last boss was especially a pain in the ass lol. still got gud tho

13. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge - 7/1/2022 - 3 hours
man I was worried this might be sloppy cuz lol nickelodeon, but honestly it was basically everything you would want from a new turtles game. it has 16 levels, lots of bosses, lots of characters from across the turtles continuum, a surprisingly expansive move-set and upgrades for every character, good tunes, good art, the works. only thing mid about it is some of the levels felt a little short, and some of the voice acting was kinda eh, but that could also just be modern day turtles VO, idk lol. kowabunga dudes

14. Neon White - 7/6/2022 - 23 hours and 18 minutes
wowwieee this game fucking ruled, one of the few games that i have bothered to 100% lol. basically it's a speed running first-person kinda-shooter. you play through a bunch of bite-sized levels with specifically places powerups and weapons, while defeating all the enemies and racing to the finish, trying to get the best times that you possibly can to progress the game. basically, mirrors edge, but way more guns, movement mechanics, and speed. it's so fucking satisfying to clear a level and get that ACE badge for getting a top speed; absolutely love this style of game. the only complaint i really had is you could probably have cut like 80% of the character dialogue; a lot of it is fluff and a lot of it is annoying/cringe too lol. i assumed it would be like some cheeky character development and go somewhere eventually, but honestly, naw not really lol

15. Omori - 7/27/2022 - hair over 20 hours
finally got a chance to check out this Earthbound-like, which is probably the easiest way to describe what it is lol. it's an RPG/adventure game that takes place dually in a dream world you built as an escape and the real world where you are a depressed hermit interacting with your now severed friend group. it's way way more mature in theme than Earthbound is, and borrows quite a bit from games like Yume Nikki too, having quite a few horror moments. all in all it's really good. the game has some great characters, some interesting, endearing and emotionally challenging story moments, great music, and does a lot of cool stuff in the relatively limited rpg maker engine. that said, the RPG aspect of this game is definitely its weakest aspect. I won't say Mother as an RPG really ever set or broke any bars, but the rpg mechanics in omori are really simple. the real world rpg segments are effectively linear because you don't have any cool special abilities at all and so you can kind of only take the fights one way, and the dream world rpg fights are really easy to find a combo that works well for you and never have to try any other skills or abilities. I never changed my tactics that I decided on using like a quarter into the game through the end of it. all-in-all, would definitely give it a thumbs up though, especially for Mother fans

16. The Quarry - 10/9/2022 - Like 10 hours
Rating: 3/5
man this game is so close to being pretty good, but it very much falls on its ass in the final like hour of the game. it just so rapidly concludes itself without any sort of tension or a follow-up feeling of relief, so you kind of sit there thinking "it can't be over, can it?" but no, it is! also the epilogue is presented in the form of a fucking 20 minute podcast that is hosted by two annoying assholes. anyway the rest of the game is pretty decent, though pretty standard supermassive fare. it does kind of play with familiar spooky tropes, but peppers in some nice changes of their own. that said, nothing pays off lol

17. Xenoblade Chronicles 3 - 10/25/2022 - 65 hours and 9 minutes
I'M.THE.GIRL.WITH.THE.GALL!!!!! Pretty dang good game. I've only ever played Xenoblade Chronicles (DE), so can't compare to 2 or X, but feels like a natural extension of that for sure. Same MMO-lite, auto-attack style gameplay with a neat little combo and chain attack system, and now, a class system! Don't think this would change anyone's mind if you didn't like the playstyle of previous ones. Unlike XCDE, this game has a plot that gets interesting really quickly off the jump and stays strong most of the way through. Great characters (and maybe the best Noppon of them all???) great music, great game. Only complaint is the game is omega easy on Normal mode; without even trying you will be overleveled. Also the last dungeon went on forever and only had like 3 enemy types so that wasn't the best either.

18. Scorn - 11/21/2022 - like 5 hours
Rating: 2/5
for being so horrifying looking this game is fucking boring lol. so the good: Scorn looks fucking incredible. as a piece of walk-through (gross) art, it's actually pretty cool and very well put together. unfortunately it also sucks ass to play. it's primarily a puzzle game, but not a very interesting one. the game basically has you walk down hallway after hallway looking for the one thing you can interact with, you spend a few minutes sliding some weird alien toober into some kind of disgusting zot, it unlocks a door, rinse repeat. but honestly if it was just that, I'd be a bit more positive on the game. what's worse it is it has combat and the combat is FUCKING TERRIBLE. i've never played a game where it's felt so terrible to have to try and kill something. your character is painfully slow, reloading is slow, hitboxes are wonky as shit, ammo is super limited, and your unlimited melee weapon has goofy recharge times that has you running backwards during fights to give it time to recharge without being hit by enemies that have seemingly HOMING projectiles. and if you die, the checkpoints are fucking shit and will send you back to the beginning of the chapter, forcing you to redo fights and puzzles. parts of the game are neat I suppose, but moreso it's just really frustrating.

19. Konami Krazy Racers- 12/8/2022 - less than 2 hours
lol some people were talking about this online and i ended up playing the whole thing lol. not too bad, deff one of, if not the best kart racers on the gba. i've never liked the mode-7 kart racer style game really (sorry super mario kart and super circuit) and while this one didnt like blow me away or change my mind by the end i had warmed up to it quite a bit. it's 4 cups with 4 tracks, and some side missions, and a weird little story inspired by the cool new world of the personal computer and email!! that said, similar mode-7 complaints here: gravity doesn't feel real and hard to tell what are obstacles or just part of the track. precision items suck ass to try and aim. the final cups uses a shitload of course hazards (water, lava, etc.), which is fine, but if even one pixel of your sprite touches a hazard you fall into it, so it feels really weird and unnatrual. still p fun tho

20. God of War Ragnarök- 12/8/2022 - like 24 hours
pretty dang good game. while it takes a 5 hours for the game to really show that it wants to be different from 2018, once it gets rolling it doesn't stop until the game concludes. i don't think this will change the minds of any 2018 haters, but i felt it built and refined upon it in every way: way more enemies, way more environments, a shitload more interesting content, tons of different fighting styles and ways to experience and approach combat. only real complaints is i am so tired of walk-and-talk not-cutscenes and I still wish they had boss fights of the scale of the old games. you do fight a couple big-ass bosses in this one, but they're very "hit it until it dies" fights with no climbing and smacking or anything like that.

Nyerp

January 01, 2022, 09:58:57 AM #2 Last Edit: December 25, 2022, 04:17:18 PM by Nyerp
i'm not going to beat 52 again this year lmao. but still

my gaming goal this year is to play elden ring and beat elden ring and maybe beat elden ring a second time. really gonna focus on clearing out my elden ring backlog in addition to playing more games in the elden ring genre. EDIT: i am now bored of elden ring,

EDIT SPACE:

1. It Takes Two | 15 or so hours | 7.5/10 | Jan. 5th
  • Fun co-op adventure with lots of varied gameplay ideas and locations. However, it is held back greatly by weak characters and humor combined with weird frontloaded pacing and flaccid resolution.

2. Yakuza: Like A Dragon | 72:50:00 | 8/10 | Jan. 15th
  • I have huge gripes with how grindy this got towards the end, along with how the lategame boss fights are boring brick walls that take 20 minutes to kill, but honestly I always found Yakuza combat to be repetitive and tedious so replacing it with an RPG equivalent didn't bother me at all. I just really liked the story tbh. Easily my favorite of the 3 Yakuza games I've played so far. Bonus points for replacing the awful trial-and-error Pocket Circuit minigame with actual skill-based go-karting.

3. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order | 30-ish hours | 6.5/10 | Jan. 23rd
  • An inconsistent, janky mess with a decent story that shits the bed at the end out of fear of THE CANON. Nevertheless, I enjoyed the 3D Metroid/Souls world design and the art design/skyboxes. Combat feels okay when it's working but dreadful when the animations are glitching the fuck out or you're fighting a swarm of 10 annoying enemies with full stamina meters and an empty force bar. Boss fights were going to be my favorite part with their Sekiro-lite parry focus but the jank just made me tired of them by the end. Maybe a polished sequel could rectify the issues, but that's not likely thanks to THE CANON. Oh well. EDIT: Apparently I'm dumb, a sequel is allegedly on the way THIS YEAR (???). Welp, now they have the chance to hopefully learn from their mistakes!

4. Hyper Light Drifter Special Edition | 14:21 | 8/10 | Jan. 26th
  • Great aesthetic and atmosphere, decent gameplay and challenge, effective otherworldly soundtrack, enticing world and exploration.....but most of all I just like it when indie games know how to shut the fuck up.

5. Anodyne 2: Return to Dust | 12:06:59 | 7.5/10 | Jan. 30th
  • Prime example of an indie game that DOESN'T know how to shut the fuck up, but the story's actually pretty good so it works (despite heaping helpings of Homestuck/Undertale-tier Tumblr overwrought and tonally misplaced quirkiness). Strictly speaking the gameplay's a step down from Anodyne 1, going from Zelda-like action to story-adventure with very light puzzling, even though the story is so much better. But the game is so striking in ways that I can't really describe, like the music and visuals and some standout unexpected moments, that really made all the issues worth it in the end.

6. Tales of Arise | 74:45:13 | 7/10 | Feb. 15th
  • No matter how pretty you make the graphics, Tales just doesn't have good enough writing to create a truly immersive fantasy world. The combat in this entry is fun and flashy, but ultimately devolves into mindless mashing until you get the kill-cutscene to play. Even the beauty of the environments is a promising lie when you slowly realize how almost every screen is a wide hallway and later on, literal plastic-looking repetitive corridors. Said latter third of the game is especially disappointing, with the story unfolding in a series of hollow revelations revealed via long exposition dumps or the characters endlessly reiterating their thoughts and feelings through static skits. This is all topped off with a final dungeon filled to the brim with miniboss type enemies that can barely be staggered like regular enemies, meaning you're just spamming attacks on brick walls for minutes on end, which plays to literally the opposite of the combat's strengths (pulling off sick juggles and combos on enemies that are truly staggered for more than a couple seconds). In the end, it's just a pretty Tales game. Good, but never great.

7. Hypnospace Outlaw | 15+ hours | 8/10 | Feb. 24th
  • Playing as a moderator in a fake internet based on late 90s geocities shouldn't be this fun. Put a weirdly gripping narrative on top of that and you get a great game. So many of the dumb little original songs that play in endless loops on the many individualized webpages are still stuck in my head days later. It's like the devs took their nostalgia for a very specific time period and refined it into an art piece that anyone can enjoy.

8. Kaze and the Wild Masks | 5:57 (100% Good Ending) | 8/10 | Feb. 25th
  • Cute but shameless DKC clone with good pixel graphics and smooth platforming. When I say clone, I MEAN it. It's not like Yooka-Laylee Impossible Whatever where it's clearly inspired by Donkey Kong Country but does a lot to set itself apart so it feels fresh and different; this is literally an indie team going "hmmm I wonder if we can recreate DKC2 and get away with it." The main character controls like Dixie Kong with her rabbit ears acting like Dixie's hair, there are 2 portals per level that take you to timed bonus stages, one of the titular masks pretty much just turns you into Squawks in levels that look like Bramble Blast......it's great! Who wouldn't want more DKC2?

9. Elden Ring | 177:52:17 | 8/10 | Mar. 22nd
  • Really cool game but I think I'm cured of Dark Souls Disease now.

10. Vib-Ribbon | 1 hour | 7/10 | Mar. 27th
  • Well that was short. But cute.

11. Gunstar Heroes | 2 hours | 8/10 | Apr. 25th
  • Treasure was awesome, wish they were still around.

12. Control | 2 many hours | 5/10 | May 20th
  • Aggressively boring and mediocre. I'm surprised I managed to force myself to finish this. A collection of bad and/or superfluous ideas wrapped in the package of a throwaway third-person shooter. 2019 was so dead that this was nominated for GOTY that year lmao.

13. Azure Striker Gunvolt (True Ending) | 8:44:51 | 7/10 | Jun. 1st
  • Decent start to a Mega Man X successor series. Definitely need to see more enemy variety and more interesting level design in the sequel though. Screen crunch and massive HUD elements are also a problem.

14. HarmoKnight (All Levels) | 5:12 | 7/10 | Jun. 7th
  • Simple little rhythm platformer by GameFreak that I downloaded off of the 3DS eShop before it was shut down (RIP).

15. Kirby: Star Allies | 5 hours or more | 6.5/10 | Jun. 8th
  • Babiest easiest Kirby game there ever was. Only had some fun because I played it in co-op. Did know what I was getting into though so I'm not mad about it or anything. LOVE the ability to play as all the past Kirby characters though (even if they all trivialize the game even further).

16. Cuphead: The Delicious Last Course | 5 hours | 8/10 | Jul. 2nd
  • Can't go wrong with more Cuphead.

17. NEO: The World Ends with You | too long | 7/10 | Jul. 14th
  • I think I grinded unnecessarily way too much and accidentally dragged the game out for waaaay too long. Oops. Pretty decent other than that, at least for a JRPG that only has 17 (seven-teen) screens of world map.

18. Pocky & Rocky Reshrined | too short | 7/10 | Jul. 16th
  • Cuphead: Japan

19. Axiom Verge | 11:23:56 | 8/10 | Jul. 17th
  • Really solid Metroid-like but I do not personally care for the aesthetic choices and the final stretch of the playthrough is unexpectedly lame.

20. The Great Ace Attorney: Adventures | 35 hours | 7/10 | Aug. 7th
  • Felt like the first half a story and a couple of the cases are complete filler, but I liked the characters and the courtroom "gameplay" despite lots of handholding.

21. Freedom Planet | 4:21:59 | 7/10 | Aug. 12th
  • Decent indie Sonic clone but with cringey furry fanfiction-tier story and voice acting, although thankfully you can turn the cutscenes off and just play the levels in order. Also cool that there are multiple characters to play through the game with unique abilities and a couple of character-specific levels, but I didn't quite enjoy this enough to jump right back in. All in all it's a fun retro throwback that has decently varied level design and flashy spin moves to perform so that's good enough for me.

22. Trials of Mana | 25:55:28 | 7/10 | Sep. 11th
  • Cute but too easy with brainless combat, subpar graphics and long load times.

23. Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition (100%) | 9:02:43 | 8/10 | Sep. 18th
  • Kuro's actions were justified idc. Cool game.

24. Hades | 25-30 hrs? | 7.5/10 | Sep. 30th
  • Saw credits so I beat it. Extremely fun & addictive at its core and has amazing visual and sound design but it's all still severely strangled by its own grindy, repetitive rogue-like game loop.

25. Cotton Reboot! | what | what/10 | Oct. 5th
  • what

26. Alan Wake Remastered | 20+ hours (incl. DLC) | 7/10 | Oct. 29th
  • Fun, but the linear checkpoint-driven level design and a plot that's constantly spoiling itself through collectibles kind of take the "horror" out of "horror game" here, and the action elements aren't fleshed out enough to pick up the slack either. Plus the tedious first DLC episode is so annoying and lazy that it inadvertently revealed to me that, yeah, you can just sorta run past most enemy encounters (with good timing). At least it's better than Control though.

27. Disco Elysium | a long time (50 hours?) | 9/10 | Nov. 10th
  • Dunno what to say, it was just great. Really good book in game form.

28. Untitled Goose Game | like 2 hours | 6/10 | Nov. 11th
  • Overrated, expired-flavor-of-the-month, beta test of a game. An unimpressive one-note meme that didn't deserve 10% of the attention that it got.

29. LocoRoco 2 Remastered | 10-ish hours | 7/10 | Dec. 7th
  • Same as the first game pretty much. Cute & wholesome on the outside, weirdly stressful and full of vaguely racist-looking, locoroco-devouring terrors on the inside.

30. Xuan-Yuan Sword 7 | 22:30 | 5.5/10 | Dec. 16th
  • Utterly average Taiwanese (?) third-person action-RPG-lite based on Chinese history and mythology I guess. Basically a lesser copy of western 7th-gen+ gaming "standards" with all the usual suspects: linear corridor world design, tons of shot-reverse shot dialogue scenes, sidling through wall cracks while the level loads, automated 'climbing' sections, upgradeable armor, craftable loot, etc. etc. A good combat system might have salvaged it from mediocrity, but alas all we get is mashing R1 and spamming big cooldown moves. Boring!

31. Mighty Switch Force! | a couple hours | 6/10 | Dec. 17th
  • Okay-ish puzzle-platformer except the player character emits an awful shill screech when you die. Point deducted!

32. Destroy All Humans! | 10-ish hours | 6.5/10 | Dec. 23rd
  • Dumb, fun, trash. Emphasis on the dumb. And the trash.

33. Azure Striker Gunvolt 2 | 8:36:05 | 7/10 | Dec. 25th
  • Okay so this isn't going to be the X successor series that I want it to be, it's a score attack game all about chaining kills as you rush to the end of the short, easy stage. It wasn't going to ditch its core concept between games and that's fine. Copen is a lot a fun to play as.

ME##

my goal is to beat at least six games.  i'll be proud of that

silvertone

January 02, 2022, 03:58:05 PM #4 Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 06:07:48 AM by silvertone Reason: adding games yes papa
I don't rly plan on completing 52 games but i do plan on playing as much sega saturn-dreamcast games as i can this year. but first im playing thru klonoa

Games
leted
this Year [/i]

Sonic Adventures 2 - I just finished sa1 (which i rly enjoyed) and decided to replay sa2. Chao garden is better and more levels is nice but the world isnt as interesting to me as the first one. I dont rly like the heavy human involvement in this one compared to first. but i rly enjoyed the game still and thinks it holds up better than reputation. Also shadow and eggman are stinky chars and rouge boobs are too fucking big for her body. 

the good tho is sonic and shadow levels and the music is awesome and the general feeling of the game is rly enjoyable. a game i can enjoy despite its flaws cos it feels good but i think first one has a better vibe. more mystical...magical

klonoa: door to phantomile
Loved the world in this game. It's bright and colorful and everything is really cute. Loved the story even though it is kinda sad. Also great music. Final boss design is really cool. Has a good vibe, nothing bad to say about these game at all. I wish they pumped a million games of these just like kirby because they feel somewhat similar.

Hiro

My goal is to beat 6 video games

C.Mongler

silvertone

Quote from: C.Mongler on January 04, 2022, 09:05:26 PMbeat my first game yeah bitches
same lol. actually beat my second last night. what did you beat?

Finished sonic adventures 2 on the first and just completed klonoa last night.
need more story driven hyper colorful platformers

C.Mongler

umurangi generation. fun little photo shooting game that takes place during the fictional end of the world, it's pretty neat

Nyerp

i also finished first game. silverton are u not going to keep a list?

silvertone

Quote from: Nyerp on January 05, 2022, 08:09:01 PMi also finished first game. silverton are u not going to keep a list?

oh. yeah. i forgot that was a thing. ill edit my post tomorrow morning and make a list.

C.Mongler

beat racthet n clank rift apart hell ya

C.Mongler

beat inscryption hell yea what a neat game

C.Mongler

beat the doom eternal ancient gods dlc finally, was real good and real HARD

C.Mongler

beat touch my katamari for no reason lol

Go Up