April 18, 2024, 01:52:33 AM

1,531,643 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

ban discord

Started by 6M69I69B9, December 15, 2021, 07:29:15 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

ikanaide

yeah i'm on the discord, hiro got me to join when i first came back here as myself. i talked on there for a little while when i joined but i basically don't really say anything on there anymore mainly because it was too active and i couldn't be arsed to keep up with all the messages. from the times i have looked there though it seems ok, there were some more aggressive people but it didn't seem super toxic or anything

Samus Aran

Quote from: strongbad on December 17, 2021, 04:46:56 PMwe could be the change we want to see

i don't have the power to ban lawlz i'm afraid

strongbad

I mean he doesn't post on boyah.net so posting more here would be a solution

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

Quote from: Samus Aran on December 17, 2021, 02:50:12 PM
Quote from: strongbad on December 17, 2021, 08:43:26 AMMy other issue is that i still don't know who half the people on discord are

Like I didn't even know you were on it ikanaide lol

he is???

anyway my problem with the discord is that there are genuinely shitty people there that i really don't want to interact with at all

and the general humor style of the boyah discord seems to be stuck in 2007 with a lot of edgy bullshit with stuff like racism, misogyny, and bizarre "anti-sjw" discourse that teeters between ironic and genuine

it's fuckin stupid tbh and there's no real reason for me to ever say much in there when i have much better communities to hang out in. and that makes me genuinely miss when this forum was active after all the shitters were purged out

ah man kaz im sorry. this bums me out so hard.

I don't really moderate the Boyah discord like I should. There's only like two people there that I genuinely have a problem with and IDK how to navigate that because don't want to make things personal. I feel like i also was an asshole to a few users there that won't come back and that...well for lack of a better term feels shitty and i regret it.

the Lawlz thing puts me in an awkward position too. I have a very different history with him than a lot of boyagers cause we were roommates and he's been super chill to me. I wasn't so active when Lawlz was on the forum so I missed a lot of his shittiness then. Really the first interactions we had were when we were about move into Boyahaus. But i do see and get why people have a problem with him. This most recent time I haven't seen him be too shitty, most of my annoyances come from the lame anti-sjw stuff that can be attributed to like three very active members of the discord.

Part of me feels like I'm in this position where my friends are mad at my friends. Since I like both parties i don't want to get involved. But being like this has also made people i think are rad not want to be part of the community which fuckin blows cause in my mind they are the community.

IDK if that makes sense, i feel like I'm rambling pretty hard. Kaz, Thyme, and Nyerp I'm sorry the boyah discord feels like an unwelcome place for y'all. That goes to anyone else that feels put off by the discord. By being unable to manage the conversations in the Boyah Discord i feel like I'm letting my friends down. I miss that stretch from like 2012 to like...idk 2016/17? Maybe sooner? when we were all hanging out being goofballs. I just want people to hang out and have a good time.

strongbad

Quote from: The Hand That Fisted Everyone on December 18, 2021, 10:05:17 AM
Quote from: Samus Aran on December 17, 2021, 02:50:12 PM
Quote from: strongbad on December 17, 2021, 08:43:26 AMMy other issue is that i still don't know who half the people on discord are

Like I didn't even know you were on it ikanaide lol

he is???

anyway my problem with the discord is that there are genuinely shitty people there that i really don't want to interact with at all

and the general humor style of the boyah discord seems to be stuck in 2007 with a lot of edgy bullshit with stuff like racism, misogyny, and bizarre "anti-sjw" discourse that teeters between ironic and genuine

it's fuckin stupid tbh and there's no real reason for me to ever say much in there when i have much better communities to hang out in. and that makes me genuinely miss when this forum was active after all the shitters were purged out
I miss that stretch from like 2012 to like...idk 2016/17?
QFT

I'm happy that boyah's still around but I do miss other eras

ME##

Let's start Boyah Discord 2.0

silvertone

Quote from: ME## on December 18, 2021, 02:19:56 PMLet's start Boyah Discord 2.0
you fool. notsids discord is discord 2.0.

ME##

Hiro

So I feel like since this thread and since discord had a little chat things have been slightly better, but not by a huge amount. I think having the dipshit rank and some more moderation (I think discord has some new mod tools too) would help a lot, but I also feel like boyah itself has been fine because the same topics/people haven't been all over. I think the active discord members have changed a lot in the last year or two where it doesn't feel the same. I still check in a lot because it's still boyos but ultimately I'm trying to use discord less, both for the reasons kaz (kaz really nailed some key issues) and others said and also for my own personal reasons.
I think having politics contained to the politics channel is good and all, but I don't think boyah in any form needs to have that 2007 4chan, /pol/ energy, or anything like that. trolling and being a dickhead isn't really funny and everyone should feel welcome and free to post on discord, and saying things are just a difference of opinion is a cop-out. this doesn't mean everyone should be policing each other, because I think the way we've been doing that has just led to double-standards or people just accepting shitty behavior to avoid an uncomfortable discussion.
I feel like I'm ranting a lot and everyone has generally been behaving better than a month ago, but I still think we need to work on this.

reeper

we need shadow ban on discord, it's the only way we can make the discord great again

silvertone

whenever i go on the boyah cord i expect it to be really harsh and mean based off these posts but its always pretty chill

strongbad

i think it's not as bad as the posts here make it but i also might have a higher tolerance for certain kinds of humor

Mando Pandango

Quote from: strongbad on January 18, 2022, 08:24:40 PMi think it's not as bad as the posts here make it but i also might have a higher tolerance for certain kinds of humor
also where i'm at

lawlz is the only one that crosses the line for me but it's infrequent. usually directed at hiro or snowy. bums me out. being a dick for a laugh is fine but i'm not sure the guy gets when he's being a bully
Quote from: Magyarorszag on August 22, 2018, 10:27:46 PMjesus absolute shitdicking christ, nu-boyah

Mando Pandango

i know i'm guilty of quasi-ironic shittery too now and again and i want people to say something if i ever cross a line with them. thank you ily boyah
Quote from: Magyarorszag on August 22, 2018, 10:27:46 PMjesus absolute shitdicking christ, nu-boyah

strongbad

Yeah I think a lot of people on boyah have a "people know I'm actually nice and just joking so I can say ridiculous things and they know I'm joking" and this is true to an extend but I think the balance gets pushed sometime

Go Up