April 16, 2024, 12:08:07 AM

1,531,643 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

daft punk

Started by Dullahan, February 22, 2021, 06:50:09 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Dullahan

ngl a part of me died today when they announced their breakup

Nyerp

shoulda released one last album, R.I.P. :/

Dullahan

Quote from: Nyerp on February 22, 2021, 07:00:08 PMshoulda released one last album, R.I.P. :/
i was wondering if they would ever play live again as their last performance was back in 2007. guess i'll never see them play

strongbad

Quote from: Dullahan on February 22, 2021, 07:27:00 PM
Quote from: Nyerp on February 22, 2021, 07:00:08 PMshoulda released one last album, R.I.P. :/
s wondering if they would ever play live again as their last performance was back in 2007. guess i'll never see them play
i was sad that they didn't do a big 2017 tour (since they also did 1997)

sad that they're broken up but I did not love Random Access Memories like their first 3 albums and I was pretty sure that they wouldn't be going back to their old style anytime soon. Alive 2007 is one of my favorite albums of all time (if not my favorite?) and Daft Punk definitely eased my transition into electronic music in general. Top 5 artist for me but I respect them retiring while they are still ahead.

C.Mongler

tis a bummer, though daft punk in my mind has long left the space of being a "band" and basically has become an inaccessible musical enigma so it's hard for me personally feel too sad about it. i don't have any sort of personal connection to members of the band through interviews/tweets/whatever, they didn't really regularly release music/albums, you were certainly not just going to casually catch them on tour, so i never really had the same relationship with them as i would some normal rock band; i just had some good times listening to their tunes.

not saying it doesn't suck that they're never making new music, just that hits kinda different 4 me lol

i agree woulda been nice if they put out a final album or a TRACK or something lol, kinda weird to not make anything for 8 years and then go 'oh yeah we're done done lol bye'

YPrrrr

Hiro

Yeah I'm super fucking bummed about it, although I kind of expected they were mostly done after the lack of a 2017 tour anyway. I pretty much agree with cmongler, I didn't expect them to release a whole lot ever, but it's just weird that they had to have an official final ending after such a long period of nothing. It would have been fine if they'd just kept doing what they had been, or at least had a farewell track or something.
I will say though, while Discovery is clearly their best album imo, Random Access Memories is also really great and a solid send off for them. Another thing about formally ending like this is it doesn't even give them the option of working on small projects or anything, and I thought I Feel It Coming with The Weeknd was really good.
There were rumors last year that they were working on a new album, so I wonder if they split because of some frustration there. Maybe they couldn't agree on anything, or maybe neither of them liked how it sounded and after years of work maybe they just felt they had finally done all they could. There was also talk that one of them has hearing troubles, so that could play a part as well.
Whatever happened, they could always get back together again if they chose, unless this is an MF Doom situation and one of them already died or something  >.<

YPrrrr

That was pretty brutal when the one guy exploded. You can't do a reunion tour when a guy is exploded

silvertone

Not rly interested in this type of music but I can understand why fans would be upset

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

more like daft cunt

Go Up