April 18, 2024, 04:59:17 PM

1,531,643 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

do you follow any esports/competitive games

Started by Samus Aran, December 14, 2020, 09:11:51 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Samus Aran

December 14, 2020, 09:11:51 PM Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 09:18:33 PM by Samus Aran
Obviously with COVID right now things are a bit wack, but generally speaking do you follow the competitive scenes for any games?

I try to follow DBFZ stuff as much as I can, the regional finals lately have been really hype, even if they are online. Japan's finals next week are gonna be offline though...might not be a great idea lol

YPrrrr

I used to follow competitive Melee a little bit a long long time ago

Ill watch highlights from LoL and Rocket League but I never live watch matches and have no idea which players are on which teams anymore

Hiro

Mando Pandango

I watched Overwatch for a hot second but stopped caring. Feels like rooting for corporations rather than teams.

Rocket League should be on ESPN main.
Quote from: Magyarorszag on August 22, 2018, 10:27:46 PMjesus absolute shitdicking christ, nu-boyah

strongbad

Quote from: Mando Pandango on December 15, 2020, 02:01:53 PMI watched Overwatch for a hot second but stopped caring. Feels like rooting for corporations rather than teams.
same exact experience here lol

i used to follow ssbm super closely and i just started following it again now that that i'm a melee degen again

YPrrrr

That is actually how I feel about pro sports too hm. Only real difference being that you can pretend the team represents your city/ area rather than the corporate ownership I guess since the teams are named for places rather than ROCCAT or Cloud9.

Maybe with exception for the Green Bay Packers since they're publicly owned

Mando Pandango

Overwatch actually does have city associations. First season was fun for that reason, but then players started getting traded and I was like "oh yeah professional sports"
Quote from: Magyarorszag on August 22, 2018, 10:27:46 PMjesus absolute shitdicking christ, nu-boyah

YPrrrr

Quote from: Mando Pandango on December 15, 2020, 07:32:23 PMOverwatch actually does have city associations. First season was fun for that reason, but then players started getting traded and I was like "oh yeah professional sports"
Yeah it's lame. You get attached to players and then suddenly they play for a rival and you're supposed to turn on them? It's weird. That's why college sports always made more sense to me from a fan perspective because players generally don't go to another team short of turning pro

Samus Aran

See this is why the ambiguity of "pro" fighting games is so good, a lot of people wish it was more like big esports games but I rather enjoy how grassroots fighting game tournaments still kinda are, even when they get as big as EVO. It's still all about individual players. I love that.

strongbad

Quote from: Mando Pandango on December 15, 2020, 07:32:23 PMOverwatch actually does have city associations. First season was fun for that reason, but then players started getting traded and I was like "oh yeah professional sports"
yeah and until you have like a 100% korean team for somewhere that isn't korea lol

YPrrrr

Quote from: Samus Aran on December 15, 2020, 08:09:38 PMSee this is why the ambiguity of "pro" fighting games is so good, a lot of people wish it was more like big esports games but I rather enjoy how grassroots fighting game tournaments still kinda are, even when they get as big as EVO. It's still all about individual players. I love that.
It also helps that fighters are typically 1v1 so you don't have that conflict of rooting for team vs player. You can just always root for the player. That's what I enjoyed about Smash in the beginning anyway. You can just root for a personality you like

Samus Aran

i somewhat followed smash ultimate for a bit, and i know plenty about melee's top dogs from watching old sets and stuff

i do prefer watching more "traditional" fighters but good smash sets are still hype as fuck too

ikanaide

i started following ssbm kinda close-ish at around the time when the first melee documentary thing came out because i thought it was really interesting. stopped following it so much when armada quit but recently started getting a little more into it again after randomly stumbling on a recent zain vs hbox set that had me really glued. my favourite player in the scene is probably m2k.

i've been following rocket league on and off for a long time (like since OG season 3). recently started watching more again after a long time of not really following it and was pretty mindblown at how much the meta has progressed in the esport. it's actually crazy how the players have consistently continued to improve. nutty plays that i used to only joke about being possible are now looking more possible than ever. i feel like there a bunch of stupidly skilled kids that are barely too young to participate in the esport right now and over the next few years they will be unleashed on us, not to mention players from regions that don't have a place in the esport yet. i've been a turbopolsa fan ever since his debut on northern gaming and will probably continue to support whatever team he's on.

lastly i'm really into the competitive scene for modern tetris and have been since around may last year, a scene which is still very much grass roots. the classic tetris scene has gained a decent bit of traction in the last few years with the ctwc event but for modern tetris there still isn't really anything apart from jstris cup and more recently tetrio cup which aren't even official tetris releases but fangames. despite all of that and the lack of support from the official tetris company, the competitive scene still has a wealth of extremely skilled players and a very strong community in which i've made a lot of good connections. i play tetris myself as well but i'm only about average.

Samus Aran

armada's been speedrunning sm64 instead lately n_u

and improving extremely fast, god gamer that he is

strongbad

Quote from: ikanaide on December 16, 2020, 12:56:45 AMlastly i'm really into the competitive scene for modern tetris and have been since around may last year, a scene which is still very much grass roots. the classic tetris scene has gained a decent bit of traction in the last few years with the ctwc event but for modern tetris there still isn't really anything apart from jstris cup and more recently tetrio cup which aren't even official tetris releases but fangames. despite all of that and the lack of support from the official tetris company, the competitive scene still has a wealth of extremely skilled players and a very strong community in which i've made a lot of good connections. i play tetris myself as well but i'm only about average.
i'd like to get more into competitive tetris- i got super sucked into tetris 99 but never really followed up on traditional 1v1 tetris

Go Up