April 15, 2024, 09:35:16 PM

1,531,643 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

What phone do you have 2020 Edition

Started by Hiro, October 20, 2020, 02:06:11 PM

previous topic - next topic

Which mobile OS do you use?

Android
5 (50%)
iOS
5 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Go Down

Hiro

yeah phones are way too fucking much now, i feel like high end flagships from 3 years ago had far more value than flagships nowadays, there's just nothing that they can really do that makes the 900+ price tag worth it at all. Instead they just keep removing features from phones so the flagship will look more appealing, but then again only budget phones have headphone jacks nowadays lmao
I just found out about altstore recently, so long as apple doesn't take it down it seems like a good resource

ME##

yeah phone prices def make no sense lol

like how is an iphone 12 mini $100 more than an ipad air.  it boggles the mind, i blame all of the installment plans for them shooting up in price and not really being worth it

also remember when people freaked out over the original iphone starting @ $499 lmao goonish

Hiro

srsly, the profit margins are just getting higher and higher

C.Mongler

OH i forgot the other holdup; i have an apple watch 4 lmao. and i actually use it quite heavily as my running GPS tracker. i don't think it's really possible to use it independently of an iphone? lol, I guess i could plug my ole' X in somewhere as homebase and use it that way, but i would have to go back to my super old all garmin GPS watch if i switched to the droid.

strongbad

how do you guys feel about these folding phones

my little brother is about to spend too much money on the moto razr 5g and it feels like a bad idea

C.Mongler

i like where they're going, but i am nowhere near sold yet lol. the razr seems silly tho, why lol. the latest galaxy fold seems okayish. i actually like the surface duo quite a bit but the price is waaaaaaay too high for what it's offering atm tho. once they start adding features to it, i might be a maybe down the line lol

Hiro

smartwatches are a waste of money
folding phones are kinda cool but don't really serve much purpose yet and are wildly expensive

C.Mongler

i mean if you don't have a use case, yes, but the cheapest GPS watch worth salt is still over $100, and that one is extremely fucking barebones. the first tier of garmin i'd want is $150, and you can get a GPS Apple Watch Series 3 for...$170 lol (i have a series 3, not 4, oops).

but yeah as like a phone alternative/replacement, they are not good for that at all lol

also for the record i have not purchased any apple watches for myself. first one i had was my mom's hand-me-down when she got a new one, and the one I currently have was a gift from my wife cuz she was like 'uhhhh husband like tech idk' but i do actually use it like 4-5 times a week for runs so whatever not the worst lol

Hiro

what purpose does a gps watch serve though

C.Mongler

distance and route tracking, as well as health analytics. the latter is kind of whatever, but i do actually rely on the former quite a bit because i run random routes/distances all the time and wouldn't know how far i've run exactly without something tracking my distance. i could do most of this with my phone on my person obvs, but i also prefer to leave my phone at home cuz my running shorts/tights are skimpy and only have a pocket for a set of keys and not much else lol. i usually have to bring a running backpack to have my phone on me, which im not the biggest fan of

ikanaide

my old phone RIP'd recently, well not really but the battery lasts for like 10 minutes after charging to 100% so i decided to replace it. got a moto g8 and it's been on point so far, i feel like it's like the perfectly balanced phone for normal use (i.e. not gaming) and is able to be delivered at a very comfy price point. the only down side is that the camera isn't great compared to what you can get on other phones

i feel like the flagships nowadays are extremely overkill, like what use do i even have for a 1440p display at 120Hz on my bloody mobile phone?? 16 cores? 8gb ram? waste of money IMO. i don't like the idea of "gaming phones" becoming a thing but it looks like that's where things are going rn

silvertone

silvertone

Quote from: ME## on January 25, 2022, 08:08:48 AM
Quote from: silvertone on January 24, 2022, 06:14:17 AMI wanna make my own phone someday.

https://www.fairphone.com/en/
Holy...that's more expensive than an iphone. I just wanted to hook up a piezo speaker to a raspbery pi

Go Up