April 18, 2024, 05:05:47 PM

1,531,643 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Best of 2020

Started by Hiro, December 04, 2020, 11:42:40 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Hiro

What are you favorite pieces of media this year? album, movie, book, tv show, etc
Since this year's been kinda sparse for a lot of entertainment, anything just new to you this year counts.

-For music, it was Fleet Foxes' Shore. I've always liked them but never been a huge fan, but damn this album is so good.
-Best movie I saw was probably Parasite. The plot was wild and unexpected, visuals were fantastic, and the ending, while really odd, was a gut punch.
-I can't remember many specific TV shows or anime I watched, but I'll give this one to Steven Universe Future. The series finally wrapped up for good this year, and I personally think it's a really thoughtful and well-written show. Cartoon Network messing with it lead to a kind of rushed ending unfortunately, but it's still a great show with good music and characters.

strongbad

Music:
Hard to pin it on anything in particular. Really liked Backstage by Gui Boratto even though it wasn't a lot of new material. Also discovered Joris Voorne and cemented my love for The Field, Max Cooper, Jon Hopkins, and probably a lot of others.

TV:
The year of many re-watches. Went through (early) The Simpsons, The Sopranos, Malcolm in the Middle, and Seinfeld. My first time watching Seinfeld all the way through (even though I'd seen 99% of it already) and I definitely have a new appreciation for it. Out of new stuff I liked Wayne a lot.

Vidya:
Spelunky 2 is definitely my goty. Also am extremely impressed with Slippi (the rollback netplay implementation for Melee) which has reignited the Melee spark for the first time in like 4 years. Also I think I have tendinitis which is hindering things :(

Books:
Got super sucked into the King Killer Chronicles and cannot wait for book 3. Actually read a lot more than usual (maybe like 12 books?) but not really anything else is worth shouting out.

Hiro

ay I've been watching the Simpsons from the beginning for the first time this year, I'm at like season 4 or 5 now

strongbad

Quote from: Hiro on December 04, 2020, 02:12:27 PMay I've been watching the Simpsons from the beginning for the first time this year, I'm at like season 4 or 5 now
noice that's awesome

i think we made it to around season 9 before we quit but very very solid up to that point

ME##

Music-folklore by TS13
TV-X-Files/The Crown
Movie-Parasite
Game-Death Stranding
Livre-lol who am I kidding

C.Mongler

• Music: uhhh i didn't really listen to anything life changing this year, but I did really like Dogleg's Melee. I also really liked the new Fiona Apple, Jeff Rosenstock, Spanish Love Songs, Bartees Strange, Touche Amore, and Oceanator. dunno, didn't feel like I listened to a ton of new stuff this year since my usual onus is going to shows, which i could not do lol
  • TV: i watched a lot of good stuff, but i struggle to think of something that didn't have some big issue one way or another lol. Honestly, How To with John Wilson probably wins; my only gripe is there's only 6 episodes and this show is fucking brilliant and funny and i want more. I also liked Devs, Dark S3, Schitt's Creek S6, The Queen's Gambit, Lovecraft Country, and I Am Not Okay With This. Probably some other stuff, idk lol.
  • Movies: lol did i watch any movies that came out this year? all I can think of is Mucho Mucho Amor: The Legend of Walter Mercado, which was p good, so i guess that? lmao
  • Video game: Half Life: Alyx, easily. The Last of Us Part II and Doom Eternal get honorable mentions tho
  • Book: i can't read

YPrrrr

For as much as I've stayed inside the past year I somehow don't feel like I've found that much new exciting stuff.

Umm for album of the year I'd go for Holy Smokes Future Jokes by Blitzen Trapper. Pretty short album but it's very pleasant to listen to and has some thoughtful lyrics.

I feel like I haven't really seen a movie that's made any real impact on me in a long time. I guess I'll give it to Parasite too - almost by default

Video games - I guess since I've been playing it every day since it came out I'll go with ACNH which is very cute and a nice shared experience with my girlfriend. I can't remember if I finished it this year or last but Hollow Knight was amazing and I can't wait for its sequel to eventually come out. Couldn't put that game down.

For TV I may be a bit late to the party but I love Taskmaster. 5 British comedians have to complete a task in the quickest/most effective way. It's sort of a competition but the points are sort of meaningless. The solutions they come up with for solving the tasks are often hilarious.

Books are still dead to me. I bought Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee but didn't read it. But I actually bought it so I guess that wins

strongbad

strongbad

Quote from: YPrrrr on December 08, 2020, 10:29:46 AMTaskmaster
This was also recommended to me- i should check it

YPrrrr

Yeah definitely do! It's just goofy fun, I can't remember the last time I laughed out loud so consistently

C.Mongler

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

Music:
Songs by Adrianne Lenker. I love the fingerpicking guitar work on this album, and she sounds like our generations version of Emmylou Harris. Anything was maybe my favorite track on the album.

TV:
oh boy, I didn't watch too much new TV. uhhhhh. I watched through Barry earlier, if that counts?

Vidya:
Although I haven't played it in a month, probably Animal Crossing. It's just real comfy and all the music rules

Books:
Don't think I read a whole book this year lol

Movie:
David Byrne's American Utopia on Broadway

Nyerp

best game of 2020 is dreams on ps4. nothing else matters. purchase dreams on ps4.

YPrrrr

Quote from: The Hand That Fisted Everyone on December 08, 2020, 10:18:09 PMMusic:
Songs by Adrianne Lenker. I love the fingerpicking guitar work on this album, and she sounds like our generations version of Emmylou Harris. Anything was maybe my favorite track on the album.

TV:
oh boy, I didn't watch too much new TV. uhhhhh. I watched through Barry earlier, if that counts?

Vidya:
Although I haven't played it in a month, probably Animal Crossing. It's just real comfy and all the music rules

Books:
Don't think I read a whole book this year lol

Movie:
David Byrne's American Utopia on Broadway
That animal crossing music gets a big bump when it's snowing - it adds sleigh bells into the regular songs which boosts the comfiness to 11

Go Up