April 18, 2024, 07:34:31 PM

1,531,643 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

meat is murder

Started by strongbad, August 11, 2020, 12:09:53 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

strongbad

Are any boyagers vegetarian/vegan? my diet has started shifting in that direction more as a result of trying to eat healthier and cheaper, and i'm starting to think about being more intentional.

when i do eat meat i've been trying to err on the side of chicken/fish but honestly vegetarian alternatives are usually just as good.

i'm also lactose intolerant so i barely consume dairy as it is (although idk if i could ever give up cheese 100%)

i've started thinking a bit more about the ethics behind it all, more in regards to how fucked factory farming is. i think the most coming-to-jesus moment for me was a couple years ago while bike touring. i was really stoned and really hungry and stopped at a shitty food mart and bought a fried chicken leg. it didn't even taste that good and my stoned brain couldn't ignore the fact that it came from an actual chicken, and how sad that was that the chicken existed just to produce this shitty drumstick.

YPrrrr

August 11, 2020, 12:50:41 PM #1 Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 12:55:28 PM by YPrrrr
Well technically meat is only murder if you're killing postnatal humans for their meat

Otherwise it's just regular old slaughter

But yeah no I'm an old-fashioned kinda guy, I'm pretty much gonna keep eating animals til I die. Especially poultry; I wouldn't necessarily miss red meat too much but I like birds a lot. If I had to kill them myself in order to eat them would I do it? Probably not. But I can live with that hypocrisy.

Mando Pandango

I grew up with my mom, the main cook of the house, being a pescatarian. So, especially since I didn't like fish as a child, I grew up eating vegetarian meals pretty often. As a result, I've never been averse to trying veggie alternatives or eating vegetarian meals.

That said, I've never been a vegetarian myself. I'm also detached enough (thanks to growing up on the internet) that I recently walked home with curry in hand, passing a bunch of pro-vegan flyers depicting partially decapitated cows hanging in a slaughterhouse, and thought "haha owned."

THAT said, I've been shifting away from beef for a long time now. I've given it up a couple times for long streaks but had a couple relapses now and then. i know it's not good to keep eating beef, and it's horrible for the environment. So I've effectively cut beef out of my diet. Maybe once or twice a year I'll have some beef, like if it's already being served to me.

Pork I'm having a harder time with. I know pigs are smart animals, maybe smarter than dogs. I have trouble coming to terms with that, and every time I eat pork now, I think about it for some length of time. But pork is also my favorite. Maybe I'm addicted. I'd like to be able to give it up.

Poultry though? I've known birds. I've met chickens. I've lived where gangs of wild turkeys roam the streets. Birds are neat but none of the ones you eat are smart enough to know what the fuck is going on. Chickens are basically robots. Turkeys are dumb assholes. Ducks are fucking monsters. Get in my mouth, all of you.

Fish don't even feel pain. Whatever.

This is where I'm at.
Quote from: Magyarorszag on August 22, 2018, 10:27:46 PMjesus absolute shitdicking christ, nu-boyah

C.Mongler

my wife is vegantarian, in that she tries to be vegan but makes vegetarian exceptions all the damn time lol. so i don't eat a ton of meat either; basically the only time I do is when we order out and there's something I'm really craving or when i'm around my meat eating family and I can't resist havin' some of the steak or whatever they're already eating. otherwise I literally never buy meat products from the grocery store to take and prepare at home anymore. we also primarily use oatmilk for milkneeds, sometimes almond, and rarely eat real cheese too lol

ALSO i used to be vegetarian in college, so i'm pretty used to the lifestyle already. i need to just recommit honestly at this point, but i also eat meat like maybe twice a month so i don't feel too bad about my personal impact lol.

anyway it's the best time ever to go for it. the not-meat products they have now are fucking astounding and plentiful. impossible meat is fucking nuts. there's a meat-free rendition of like fucking everything now. back in my veg days i would eat like bean burgers, falafal, and hummus cuz that was all i could get lol. now i can get full on fucking "chicken" wings and a vegan cheesecake like WHAT the hell

YPrrrr

Also I will add on to mine to say that there a lot of really delicious vegetarian dishes and I should probably embrace that more for my health. I have no problem skipping meat for meals I just want the option. Would totally eat clone meat if it ends up tasting the same and being better for the environment

strongbad

Quote from: YPrrrr on August 11, 2020, 02:04:02 PMAlso I will add on to mine to say that there a lot of really delicious vegetarian dishes and I should probably embrace that more for my health. I have no problem skipping meat for meals I just want the option. Would totally eat clone meat if it ends up tasting the same and being better for the environment
agreed with clone meat

best of both worlds

C.Mongler

yea clone meat is gonna rule

i wonder if they will make clone meat of weird shit like gators and people

YPrrrr

Gator meat is pretty daggum good

Travis

Quote from: YPrrrr on August 11, 2020, 12:50:41 PMWell technically meat is only murder if you're killing postnatal humans for their meat

Otherwise it's just regular old slaughter

But yeah no I'm an old-fashioned kinda guy, I'm pretty much gonna keep eating animals til I die. Especially poultry; I wouldn't necessarily miss red meat too much but I like birds a lot. If I had to kill them myself in order to eat them would I do it? Probably not. But I can live with that hypocrisy.
tly this

i feel like if an animal has led a decent and happy life then there is nothing wrong with eating them. factory farming obviously sucks and is fucked up but i almost feel like that's a different issue than the moral issue of eating meat itself. it's more of an unfortunate necessity of demand.  not to mention the nutritional benefits that are difficult to come by without eating meat

Mando Pandango

Assuming you live somewhere with easy access to a variety of foods, you can get pretty much everything you get out of meat out of a vegetarian diet, except vitamin B12 for vegans specifically. And they make supplements for that.
Quote from: Magyarorszag on August 22, 2018, 10:27:46 PMjesus absolute shitdicking christ, nu-boyah

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

can't get blood from a bean dude

C.Mongler

oh shit we got a vampire in the house

silvertone

strongbad

C.Mongler

drink you own piss for an easy body cleanse

Go Up