Behold, The Last Good Android Shitphone:

Started by Kalahari Inkantation, July 23, 2020, 09:18:25 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Kalahari Inkantation

July 28, 2020, 11:47:59 PM #15 Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 12:17:20 PM by Magyarorszag
Quote from: Hiro on July 28, 2020, 02:54:35 AMdamn that copper looks really fuckin good

Quote from: Travis on July 28, 2020, 03:39:54 PMlooks dope!

thx boyos

agreed that that copper is gorgeous, i probably would have bought the copper model had it been available for the us market, though purple is cool too

but now i have both giggle;

Quote from: Travis on July 28, 2020, 03:39:54 PMi hate android

agreed

i'm curious as to what exactly you hate about it lol

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: Snowy on July 30, 2020, 09:32:59 AMHow did the repair go? I've wanted to do that for a while but it always scares me that I'd rip a ribbon or something

at least with the note 9, it's surprisingly straightforward

i used a heat source to soften the adhesive holding the rear panel in place (i had borrowed mother dearest's hair dryer for this purpose but OF COURSE it died 30 seconds into the job so i bought a proper heat gun on amzn for like $13 and now i owe mother a new dryer), then used a suction cup and a spudger to carefully spudge the rear off completely

the only ribbon cable to worry about is the fingerprint scanner's, which is the sole electrical link between the motherboard and the rear cover

but even if you're unaware of or completely forget about that (as i did), it pops right out of its socket effortlessly once the rear is separated

just gotta be careful not to cut or damage it with whatever tool you're using to pry the back panel off lol

after that it was just a matter of ensuring the interior was COMPLETELY cleared of any old adhesive or other debris, removing the fingerprint scanner from the camera lens assembly and placing it back in its socket on the motherboard

then you carefully align the new rear with the scanner and the rest of the phone, squeeze it all together, heat the margins heat once more and apply even pressure for a few minutes lol

the replacement rear i purchased for ~$13 on ebay even came with all the necessary tools to complete the job EXCEPT the heat source

of course, before i did anything at all, i made sure to watch a tutorial to see if it was feasible for me at all lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rz32o6We5bA

fortunately, it was, and i'm sure most anyone could do it with the correct tools, a video guide and some patience

took me $26 and maybe ~30 min total, go for it it's totes worth it wrench;

Hiro

September 06, 2020, 10:54:00 AM #17 Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 11:14:59 AM by Hiro
well damn the sony xperia 5 II looks great: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SBuUHoMOGE

headphone jack, 120hz refresh rate, microsd, sized for human hands, no notch/hole punch, 4000mAh battery, fingerprint sensor on the power button, front-facing stereo speakers, dedicated camera/shutter button, only thing I'd like is wireless charging
I suspect my phone won't make it another full year so my next phone will probably either be this, galaxy s10e, or pixel 4a

Go Up