March 28, 2024, 02:02:22 AM

1,531,609 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

need new muzak

Started by Karel, April 10, 2020, 11:11:01 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Karel

I feel like for the past 7 years I've been on that kick of surf music, doo wop (modernized or the slowed down and creepy), 50's garage, some lo-fi proto-punk, etc.

That seemed to be a trending thing for awhile, now it's turned on its head to similar sounding pedal effects but far more ambient. I thought I dug it, and sometimes I still do, but it all feels like a wash now. Some of it just sounds like it has far too many layers and it just drags on in a way that's not interesting at all. Sometimes I like a long drag, but these kind of ambient effects just gets me wishing the song would be over already.

I want something new that I can still feel in my bones, but I don't know what that it is or what it sounds like. Spotify has forced everyone's taste into the direction of the above and I want to be free of that.

help

Karel

I am also partial to folk but only particularly. I like older country, Waylon Jennings especially but I haven't dived into him beyond his album Hangin' On

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

If you like Waylon listen to Old Five and Dimers by Billy Joe Shaver

Mando Pandango

idk man spotify still gives me good shit sometimes but I push it in a way different direction. Been digging Crumb, which is along the lines of what you're describing.

this goes for everyone: listen to steely dan
Quote from: Magyarorszag on August 22, 2018, 10:27:46 PMjesus absolute shitdicking christ, nu-boyah

AAAAAAAA

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

Mando Pandango

Quote from: Magyarorszag on August 22, 2018, 10:27:46 PMjesus absolute shitdicking christ, nu-boyah

Karel

Quote from: The Hand That Fisted Everyone on April 10, 2020, 03:10:05 PMIf you like Waylon listen to Old Five and Dimers by Billy Joe Shaver

thanks dog will do

Quote from: Mando Pandango on April 10, 2020, 04:37:56 PMidk man spotify still gives me good shit sometimes but I push it in a way different direction. Been digging Crumb, which is along the lines of what you're describing.

this goes for everyone: listen to steely dan

Quote from: SloppyJimbo on April 10, 2020, 04:45:02 PMListen to Steely Dan

thanks i'll check out crumb

one time at a coffee shop i was a regular at had a Steely Dan song playing, the barista was cute and eye fucked me and flirted with me sometimes, and she could tell I liked what was playing. She asked me, "Do you like Steely Dan?" and my first thought was that I had no idea Steely Dan sounded like this but it sounded great. And I was like "Heck yeah" because I wanted to express interest in similar things as her even though she had a boyfriend and I had a girlfriend, but with a relationship or not, sometimes you just want approval and validation though it won't mean anything beyond that.

In Steely Dan, I sought that validation, and now I need to own up to it

Mando Pandango

Samus Aran

listen to Future of the Left idk

strongbad

how do you feel about something like Boards of Canada?

Karel

some of what I listened to of Steely Dan was fun and interesting but my interest waned after 3/4th thru of Aja, maybe I'll try again

the Yacht Rock video was great, tho, wew

Boards of Canada is too ambient for my taste flavor profile at this time, I think I would like to rock

AAAAAAAA

Go Up