May 13, 2024, 05:54:21 PM

1,531,625 Posts in 46,728 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

52 Games in 52 Weeks 2020: Decade Redux Edition

Started by C.Mongler, January 01, 2020, 04:38:18 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Samus Aran

October 01, 2020, 02:14:56 AM #196 Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 02:19:05 AM by Samus Aran
Quote from: Nyerp on September 07, 2020, 06:46:43 PMi don't have the dlcs yet but i'll def get them eventually

now that you've played nv you're ready to be fully disappointed by the incredible downgrade in writing all across the board in fo4. also bizarre mechanics changes i hate (but it has some improvements too i guess, still enjoyed it a lot)

or actually just play 3 if you're gonna play another bethesda fallout game i guess, it has iffy writing too but not nearly as bad as 4, and gameplay-wise is nearly identical to nv

Nyerp

sorry but i'm not playing either of those, just gonna play the one game in the franchise that seemed interesting to me and get out of there hehehe bassir;

Samus Aran

Nyerp

finally went back and beat mgr: revengering after dropping it years ago. great game that should have gotten a sequel.

C.Mongler

beat ghost of tsushima. it was really good for the most part, but i hate games that make an excellent combat system to only force you to HIT BUTTON 2 KILL stealth half the damn game.

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

beat Golf Story.

This fucking game is all over the map. Golf Story is essentially the Mario Golf games for the Game Boy. There's some RPG elements and a story wrapped around a Golf game. Basically you gave up golfing years ago, your girlfriend leaves you, your life is shit. One morning you wake up, look at your dad's clubs and then decide to pick golfing back up.

On a positive note, the gags are pretty funny and overall the game has a great sense of humor. Part of why it's done well is that it weaves the humor into the writing, the graphics, and the game play (you can throw golf balls at people lol). It's so damn dumb but funny as hell to wack people with golf balls. They also veer from traditional golf and let you play disc golf a few times, and there's even a stealth level in the game. Lots of great little side quests in the game. All this to say it still feels like they could have polished it up a bit. One bug I had (that's also happened to other people online) is that the game doesn't save. My first two hours were gone because the game didn't actually save. This only happened at the beginning of the game tho. Also the actual golfing part of the game seems really inconsistent. Wind and course sloping are too varied and unreliable to make a good estimate as to where your ball will land.

Honestly, one of my biggest problems was with the writing. Golf Story tends to just gloss over not only important story information but also fucking key mechanics to the game. When you level up you get five points that you can spread over different categories to enhance your character. Some are self explanatory (like Power) others you don't know what the fuck they do (like Purity?) and it's never explained to you in game. Remember your dad's golf clubs? You never use them and they're never talked about ever. Remember when I told you about your girlfriend leaving you? She pops up once mid game and disappears. Remember when I told you about abilities? No not the categories, ABILITIES. I went the whole god damn game without using these damn abilities. I didn't even know they were there until I got fucking stuck on the last course and had to look up how to beat it. Turns out you can press up and down on the D-Pad to select abilities that just let you ignore the wind, or give you an even bigger power boost. They really could have spent less time on the jokes and more time on a tutorial, which is the first time I have ever said that in my life.

Also side note: you can't name your character. every time you look at a scorecard it says "Player" which bugs the ever loving shit out of me.

It's mindboggling this game got on so many "Must Play" lists for the Nintendo Switch. Maybe it's just cause it was early in the consoles life. Could also be some payola stuff going on the back, hard for me to buy that any reviewer made it past the first course. I bought this game on sale for like 7.50 and it was too much imo.

2/5

Samus Aran

October 07, 2020, 08:38:20 PM #202 Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 08:45:01 PM by Samus Aran
whoaaaa 12 games on my list so far

C.Mongler

Quote from: The Hand That Fisted Everyone on October 07, 2020, 06:15:07 PMIt's mindboggling this game got on so many "Must Play" lists for the Nintendo Switch. Maybe it's just cause it was early in the consoles life.
probably a lot of that tbh (tho i havent played this game lol). a shitload of people said snake pass was also a GREAT TIME™ when it was like 1 of 5 games on the switch, but to me it felt like an unfinished tech demo for a banjo-kazooie-like with a snake gimmick lol

Hiro

yeah snake pass was fun for like 10 minutes but after that yeesh

C.Mongler

C.Mongler

beat super metroid for the first time in my life lmao

its funny, cuz theres a couple spots i referred to a guide, and I shit you not it's impossible to find the "intended" way to do things in this game for some stuff in 2020. goofs like wall jumping are just accepted mechanics canon, its great

Nyerp

beat dragon's dogma, a weird game for weirdos

Nyerp

beat vanquish, a cool game for attractive people

Samus Aran

Glad u enjoyed the best game of all time Mongler  doodella;

Go Up