March 28, 2024, 11:48:30 AM

1,531,609 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

52 Games in 52 Weeks 2020: Decade Redux Edition

Started by C.Mongler, January 01, 2020, 04:38:18 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

C.Mongler

January 01, 2020, 04:38:18 PM Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 06:24:44 PM by C.Mongler
WHAT UP CHUCKLEFUCKS. No one made the new thread yet so I'm fuckin doin it!! madood;

YOU KNOW WHAT THE DAMN DEAL IS! Grab yourself a post, and put a list down of what you've played through this year. Recommended to include at least the title and date completed you idiot, but you are also encouraged to include playtimes, scores, a write-up, or whatever the fuck else your nerdy little heart desires.

Wanna include open ended shit or meaty expansions or whatever else on your list? I DON'T FUCKING CARE! If you wanna say you beat League of Legends that's your own god damn prerogative!!

Alright, get to postin' and beatin those games!!

C.Mongler

January 01, 2020, 04:45:03 PM #1 Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 10:16:19 AM by C.Mongler
C.MONGLER'S GAME-ZONE (no posers allowed)

Currently Playin':
  • Sekiro
  • Pikmin 3

GAMES I HAVE COMPLETED

1. Donut County - 1/12/2020 - Like 2 hours
Score: 3/5
A nice, cute little game. Sort of Katamari-esque; you basically have a hole that you use to gobble up people's shit and then it gets bigger. Unlike Katamari, levels are very close-ended and clear-cut, so the actual gameplay kind of gets boring after a bit, though the end of the game had some interesting environments and puzzles that made it a bit better. The best part is the story and writing, which I found quite charming. By no means bad, there's just not a lot to this game lol

2. Accounting+ (Quest) - 1/29/2020 - Less than an hour lol
Score: 4/5
A fun little game. It's a Justin Roiland joint. If you like his schtick you'll like this, if you don't, well, don't play this lol. Not much too this game beyond exploring weird little environments while Justin Roiland jokes get shouted at you. Its a neat time and I definitely laughed a lot, but it's incredibly short for how much it costs.

3. Vader Immortal Trilogy (Quest) - 2/2/2020 - Like 3 hours
Score: 3/5
I'm counting all three parts to this as one game because each one is only like an hour long. It was alright, but kind of disappointing in all the ways you would want a Star Wars VR game to be cool. Lightsaber battles felt really dull and unresponsive, the force was kind of lame and also unresponsive. I didn't feel like a Jedi I felt like a nerd playing a VR game. It's a neat little VR funhouse all things considered, but for as much as this shit costs they should have spent more time on it and made it a bit meatier and better feeling. Glad I got it for free with my Quest purchase lol

4. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - 2/16/2020 - About 60 hours
Score: 5/5
I guess technically I beat 1/4 (1/5 if you count the new DLC!) of the game, but idgaf I'm not playing this shit three more times lol. game was pretty much phenomenal overall, definitely a top brass fire emblem experience. the cast in this game is fucking MASSIVE and by the end you really come to love your rag tag group of heroes and religious zealots. complaints: monastery shit got tiring as shit after a while, especially when you mentally deconstruct it as just a stat boost session that instead of being in a menu you have to literally run around to do. game was super easy. also my ending/path was kind fuckin weird (church route) compared to the other options, but whatever

5. Axiom Verge - 3/8/2020 - About 10 hours
In fairness, I don't play very many Metroidvanias, but Axiom Verge was certainly one of the best i've played. i really enjoyed how unique and interesting the traversal elements in this game are, and the variety of guns was fuckin silly. and the story and music were fuckin dope too. a good ole' time all around

6. Half Life: Alyx - 4/3/2020 - About 13 hours
So this is hands down the best VR game I have ever played, and fairly certain this is the best VR experience out there on the market right now period. Everything is so well-crafted and immersive that it really puts you in the HL universe. It's also scary as FUCK at some points, and is probably the most legitimately scared I've been playing a video game. The game looks amazing too, and not even just "for a VR game". Source 2 seems like some really great tech. I won't touch on the story at all but I will say Valve better not be fucking around about bringing another entry soon; hopefully sooner than 13 years from now.

7. Death Stranding - 4/11/2020 - 50 hours and 39 minutes
first off, what the fuck lmao. hands down one of the most BIZARRE pieces of media i've ever experienced, full stop. the plot was fucking maddening to try and keep up with, but the things I could follow towards the end I found kind of cool? idk, I found a lot of the game cool lol. The sense of scale, the sense of adventure. Driving for miles or zip-lining across the map. Helpin' out a porter homie in need. I can absolutely see why people would fucking hate a game like this, but it hit a lot of sweet spots for me. Far from perfect, but I had a lot of fun. Love ya BB

8. Final Fantasy VII Remake - 4/25/2020 - like 35 hours
overall i thought it was a very well crafted experience, but in a lot of ways it leaned too heavily on pure nostalgic fascination for the world and its characters and did very little to expand on things I hoped to see expanded on. I was hoping to feel a bit more of a sense of place in Midgar, and while there are certainly breathtaking moments in the game, it's still very much a series of interconnected hallways. Felt a lot like late-game FFXV, just for the whole game, but luckily the story was still great and engaging as ever. Obviously a lot of the game was extended to get the first like 1/3 of disc 1 of the OG to be an entire game, but the extended stuff rarely felt needed, just kinda felt like busywork. like go down a hallway, fight, rinse repeat. lots of really long sections of just going somewhere. idk. i still had a good time but i really hope the 2nd part (and beyond??) are not as shallow as this game was. also i don't know if a new player to the series would get ANYTHING out of this game lol.

9. Doom Eternal - 5/3/2020 - no idea, 10 hours?
what a fucking weird game lol. doom eternal adds a SHIT LOAD of plot and lore to the Doom universe...which I completely did not follow or care for. it also added a lot of fucking WILD combat mechanics that made this game super fun IMO. it plays basically like a first-person character action game in a lot of ways. you're swinging and jumping around constantly switching between weapons, unleashing special attacks when they come off cool down, and fillin' meters. i can't imagine how someone would play this shit on a controller lol, it was hard enough on a keyboard with hotkeys for all sorts of shit. i can see how this would turnoff some fans of 2016, but I actually thought the new additions to the combat were great. it's great.

10. Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 5/20/2020 - 35 to infinite hours
so obviously these games have no proper end, and I don't remotely feel "done" with it per se, especially since I'll probably be playing this for months to come, but I have gotten KK to come and I have paid off my house loan and full, so really all that's left is to just enjoy the rest of my animal life. this game feels like the smash ultimate of animal crossings. there's so much shit to do that it's kind of overwhelming. It's AC, there's not really much to say about it that you don't already know; my only complaint is I wish there were more quality-of-life things like ability to do multiple tasks at once for example, but maybe someday. good, chill fun.

11. A Plague Tale: Innocence - 5/28/2020 - 12ish hours
overall this was a pretty cool game; a very story heavy experience with lots of sneakin' around about a family a rat plague. coolest thing about the game was the rats tbh; idk how the devs made the rat swarms the way they did but i spent a lot of time just watching the little shits scurry around. DO NOT PLAY THIS SHIT IF YOU HAVE A FEAR OF RATS by the way lol, my wife was havin' nightmares about rats while I played this. had to knock this game down a peg tho because it has a decent amount of dumb video gamey bullshit: the crafting system seemed kind of halfbaked, some of the levels felts a bit too long and annoying, and the "combat system" in the game, which is based around single target takedowns for like 80% of the game, suddenly becomes used to fight multiple enemies and bosses towards the end, and it was just more cumbersome than anything.

12. The Last of Us: Part II - 7/22/2020 - 24 hours and 20 minutes
jesus this game was a fucking RIDE. overall I think it was a phenomenal experience. the third person combat is probably the best that I have ever seen so far. i personally found the story to be a lot more interesting and complex than the first game's, and in general I think I liked this game a little bit more than I did the first. i think there are definitely moments where the gratuitous violence becomes a little much, there are absolutely parts of the game where my brain was like "fuck i don't really want to play or do this", and frankly I have qualms with the very final moments of the game, but I don't think they all detract that much from what I think was a great package as a whole. a fitting swansong to the goat of the ps4.

13. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 (GC) - 8/16/2020 - idk like 10 hours
this game is a frickin' classic, what can I say. first game in the series with the revert, and giant ass levels to flip all around a result. some cool ass levels like airport and LA make their debut in this one. i am also rusty as SHIT at these games; i remembered being a pro as a kid but it took me like an hour to get the sick score for the first fuckin level lmao. now that i've cleared everything i'm kinda decent at it again. picked up the 1&2 remake immediately after this, so looking forward to that now for sure.

14. Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition - 8/24/2020 - 60 hours and 40 minutes
this is the third time i've bought this fucking game lol (wii u eshop, 3DS, and now switch) and I have FINALLY actually beaten it. there's a lot of dumbass jrpg shit in this game for sure, but overall I really enjoyed it. it's basically a single-player MMO; you traverse MASSIVE fucking levels, fight whatever enemies you see wandering around, collect bugs and sticks and shit, and combat is basically an auto-attack fest where you control the special moves to do combos that stun enemies and do big damage. i'm dumbfounded how nintendo in 2012 didn't see this game's potential and treated it like some blip on the Wii and not like some megaton, everyone go buy this shit definitive RPG experience lol. the combat, story, characters, and world are all great. i wish more of the quests felt substantial, as most are "go here, collect a thing", but also I didn't mind too much?? idk. i didn't play the 'future connected' stuff yet, as I need a break from this shit and it's independent of the main game, but I might double back and play it before 2020 concludes.

15. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 & 2 (2020) - 9/5/2020 - little over 6 hours
lol i blew through all the levels and cleared every goal since I started playing this around 10 PM two days ago. this game fucking ROCKS. I am so glad they fully gave the series over to vicarious visions FINALLY; their GBA and DS games ruled so I was pretty confident they could pull this off. everything feels fucking perfect. it is a little weird cuz they ported lots of thps4 moves and combo strings over to the first two games, so you can definitely cheese the shit out of stuff if you want, but you can also disable all of that if you want to play using only the real stuff that was in the games at the time. if you're a fan of the series, you gotta get this one. it's a goat.

16. Ghost of Tsushima - 10/5/2020 - like 30 hours?
somewhat torn on this one. i really REALLY loved a lot of stuff about this game. the environments and the graphics (color palettes especially) were fuckin sick. the combat is a blast to play with once you get the hang of the vast amount of options you have. on top of that the world sucker punch made here is fucking BIG, almost too fucking big tbh, and i beat the game having barely saw a lot of it. that said, while I get WHY they did some of the things they did, the game for me kind of peaked midway through. i really didn't enjoy the amount of shoehorning into stealth the game did when they created such a cool combat system that they sidelined time and time again for boring stealth assassinations. again, it doesn't mesh with the story they wanted to tell 4 sure, but being an honorable samurai was way more fun than being a ghost to me lol

17. Control - 10/12/2020 - 13ish hours
holy HECK i friggin' loved this game.i didn't know much going in, i kind of assumed it was just a third person shooter with psychic stuff; i didn't realize it was a dang metroid game lmao. the atmosphere and story were top fuckin' notch. the combat was A BLAST. seriously some of my favorite combat i a video game, ever. the game also was an amazing showcase of RTX tech. the ONLY thing i didn't love is how ambiguous the ending/plot kind of ended up. like i get that's the game's whole schitck, but I wish it was just a little bit more explained. I rarely want to dive into DLC after I finish a game, but I may do that for this bad boy

18. Super Metroid - 10/25/2020 - 6ish hours (5:31 game clock, but I deff cheezed with save states lol)
so i have never actually beaten this game UNTIL NOW lol. what can i even say about this shit that hasnt been said in the past 30 years. it's no wonder this game basically spawned its own genre of exploratory platformers; the design of this game is some perfect, master class shit. you could teach a whole fucking college course about the design of this single game; hell, i'm sure someone has. it's amazing that, even after playing countless derivatives, there's still a ton this game does better than all the other metroidvanias out there. the way it offers a hiiiggghh ass skill ceiling with the upgrades samus receives throughout the game that it then challenges the player to master, CHEFsKISSbaby. what can I say, a perfect game.

19. Metroid: Zero Mission - 11/7/2020 - 4-ish hours
i decided i didn't have enough metroid after super metroid, so i decided to also play zero mission for the first time. definitely A CHOICE to play these games back-to-back lol, it's interesting how similar they are but also somewhat different. zero mission is obvs a lot less grand in scope than super, but still very fun. my only real complaint with this game is there were some real head scratching moments, especially towards the nofair parts, where there's secret lava-but-not floors that i kept missing, but tbf i could have found them paying more attention. the TWIST part at the end was cool, but i did feel it was kinda tacked-on feeling. still a great game tho

20. Ghostrunner - 11/11/2020 - Like 6.5 hours
i picked this game up on a whim; i actually didn't know what it was, i thought some kinda FPS lol, i just liked the way it looked and it had some hype. it's actually mirror's edge meets hotline miami with a ninja. lots of wall running and big air platforming with one-hit death enemies. overall it's a very solid game. it's also a VERY challenging game; i must have drained a liter of sweat into my fucking mouse playing this shit. one gripe i had is it doesn't save mid level checkpoints, so if you rage quit you are starting that shit over. the first boss of this game is excruciatingly hard kaizo mario shit, and then the rest are all really annoying but kind of easy. the dumb CYBER levels kind of kill the pacing of the game. and also, the story is pretty ehhh at best. but everything else is top knotch, deff recommend if you want to scream at your pc/console

21. Astro's Playroom - 11/14/2020 - Like 2 hours
this game was a lot more game than i anticipated for a console pack-in lol. if you played the VR game, it's in a very similar vein, but this game perfectly showcases the new features of the PS5 and Dualsense controller. It's very short, but it ooozes charm and nostalgia, and there's a ton of collectibles to get if you really want to spend more time with it. only complaint is I wish there was more lol, but it's free so, hey whatever

22. Legend of the Mystical Ninja (SNES) - 11/18/2020 - Like 3 or 4 hours
what a fucking bizarre game lol. the game is an action adventure platformer?? every level (usually) half the level is a town where you can buy shit, play little games, and farm endless waves of dickheads trying to kill you, and the other half is a standard platformer. personally, i kind of hated the former parts of the level, and would buy the shit i needed to survive, and rush to get to the good part. this game is BRUTALLY difficult. most shit at the end of the game can 1-2 hit you if you dont pick up armor or health regen items. i used a few save states just cuz i didnt want to have to repeat shit over and over. i think the worst part is the story, or maybe just the translation. it's nonsense lol. i'm not sure if it's better in the original writing, i should have maybe copped the retranslation patch, but the plot basically was just some gibberish to loosely string levels together. all-in-all pretty good, but i like pretty much every goemon game that came after a lot more.

23. Demon's Souls (PS5) - 11/22/2020 - 20 hours and 15 minutes
holy fuck, i am a REAL gamer now baby!!! i gave up on beating this game back in the day after it completely kicked my ass, but i was determined to master this shit on ps5. bluepoint killed the feeling and look of the game IMO; it looks like i imagined in my head playing this jank ass back on ps3. some of the levels here are absolute classics, and while i think this game has super easy (relatively) bosses compared to its cousins Dark Souls and Bloodborne, there's still plenty of 'oh fuck im gonna die' moments and challenges a plenty. definitely not a perfect game (why does this game refuse to explain fucking ANYTHING), but a most play if you're into challenging action titles.

24. Spider-man: Miles Morales - 12/2/2020 - about 7 hours
damn, miles morales is a cool ass dude. this game is basically a lost legacy/second son of spider-man. i can sum this shit up as: if you liked spider-man ps4, you will definitely get a kick out of this, and if you didn't, well this is more of that so you won't like this lol. everything about this little package was quite fun, but my biggest gripe is i just wish there was more here. the story missions all feel kind of samey unfortunately, with almost all of them just being sneak around, web-up grunts style stuff, and there's not even a threat of fucking up and getting into combat now because miles can camo out of shitty situations. on top of that, there's not really a ton of big baddie variety, and the big baddies that are here all kind of fight the same way. was hoping for some interesting boss combat scenarios a la mr freeze in arkham city, but there were none here i'm afraid. that said, it was still fun, i was just still thirsty for more at the end lol

25. Ganbare Goemon 2: Kiteretsu Shōgun Magginesu - 12/3/2020 - 3 or 4 hours probably
okay WHAT THE FUCK konami lmao. Goemon 2 might be one of the best fucking SNES games, and the dickheads at Konami decided to only bring over the first game which is worse in every single way. i'm assuming konami has always been super indecisive about how this series would get recieved in the west, but seriously, this game is fucking phenominal. the graphics are top notch; goemon looks great instead of like a fucking freak in the first game, the levels are poppy and colorful, and the fucking ROBOT BATTLES are wild for a SNES game. they legit feel like 3d battles. there were moments it feels like you're playing a modern-developed retro style game and not a game made in 1993. also this game is funny as fuck too. anyway, goemon's great adventure on N64 in a lot of ways feels like a reimagining of this game, so if you played and enjoyed that you should definitely check this one it. it's goood.

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

January 01, 2020, 05:07:38 PM #2 Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 06:15:59 AM by The Hand That Fisted Everyone
games im playing now:
FE:3H
octoman walker

games I want to beat:
FF:3H (golden deer run)
Halo reach/1/2/3
Phoenix wright 1/2/3

GAMES I FUCKIN BEAT

1. Luigi's Mansion 3: 1/19/20 - 20hrs 2/5
God damn what a disappointment. It starts off great, but the middle fuckin' drags on and on. I loved the way that Luigi interacts with the world, but i wish it was little more spooky (can I levy that kind of criticism on a Nintendo game? it could only be but so spooky.) I can't help but feel like all the positive reviews came from people played the first 4 or 5 floors and dropped it. Could be fun co-op with Gooigi, but being forced to use him in single player was lame. Also, one of the things you can do in the game is pick stuff up with your vacuum and shoot it out. A little crosshair pops up to help you aim but I had the hardest damn time actually aiming with it. Seemed like the crosshair had a mind of it's own. If they tweaked the controls a bit, removed like 3 or 4 floors, get rid of the gooigi puzzles and tweak that shitty final boss it would be a really rad game. Oh Well.

2. A Short Hike: 1/26/20 - 4hrs 4/5
boy this was a comfy ass game. basically Animal Crossing without Tom Nook part. Gliding around is fun as hell.

3. Link's Awakening 2/16/20 5/5
i called this game charming a few weeks ago and honestly thats the best way to describe it. Loved the world of Koholint Island, thought the tone and story was really refreshing after so many games where you gotta save Zelda. Jumping around was fun as hell. My only gripe is that I wish the characters had more dialogue. That's more of a testament to how cool the NPCs are than an actual complaint tho. Also I think they fixed the slow down problem, I didn't run into it at all when I played it.

4. Celeste: 2/23/20 - 4/5
This was a fun and challenging platformer. If you liked Super Meat Boy you would like this. Only real complaint was that there was too much to collect. I also am realizing that I don't like games that don't penalize you for dying.

5. Ape Out: 2/23/20  - 3/5
This game has a lot of style but not too much substance. The art style is great, the music is top notch. Whole thing has a cool 1950s jazz style to it, the level selections are styled like old albums and lots of creative uses of color (you play as a big ol orange ape). The levels kinda feel the same after a while. Not much difference between the worlds but theres enough to keep it kind of interesting. Get it on sale.

6. Downwell: 5/23/20 5/5
Super simple game but it's addicting. Definitely has that "one more round" thing going on. You're just falling down a well trying to kill monsters by jumping on them or shooting them with your shoes. Final boss was frustrating but very satisfying to kill it.

7. Gato Roboto: 5/26/20 1/5
what a boring ass game. This game goes far beyond metroidvania to the point it's practically dick riding the metroid series.
also I only got like 40% of it done. aint gonna bother 100%-ing this dogshit.

8. Katamari ReRoll: 5/28/20 3/5
It's a remaster of the first Katamari that was released on PS2. Nothing new was added but the game still holds up

9. Animal Crossing New Horizons: 6/4/20 5/5
Comfy ass game where you turn your deserted island into a comfy ass island. They added crafting which kind of rules, and my town has Ribbot so it owns

10. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice: 6/15/20 5/5

11. Grim Dawn: 6/27/20 4/5

12. The Messenger: 7/15/20 4/5

13. Grand Theft Auto V: 7/26/20 5/5

14. Destroy All Humans!: 9/27/20 4/5

14. Golf Story: 10/7/20 2/5

15. Mario 64: 10/17/20 4/5

16. DK:TF: 10/18/20 4/5

Nyerp

January 01, 2020, 06:43:56 PM #3 Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 04:27:45 PM by Nyerp
GAME & NYERP

PLAY NOW:

PLAY LATER:
(?) for unsure

-Maximo: Ghosts to Glory(?)
-Shadow of Rome(?)
-Finally Fucking Finish Final Fantasy Six(???)
-Mega Man Zero 2-4(??)
-Mega Man Legends 2

PLAY BEFORE:

1. Astral Chain - 1/16/20 - 33:00:34 - 6/10
This is Platinum's most phoned-in original IP. Wonderful 101 at least had an air of ballsy originality to its shittiness, but this was just boring. Each of the 11 main missions lasts way too long and has horrible pacing. You're expected to do an hour's worth of mundane sidequests at the beginning of each file while barely getting to interact with the core combat mechanics. And when you finally do get to fight, you find that the combat simply doesn't have the same depth as Platinum's greats. Combine that with the game's underwhelming story, recycled areas, and PS3-level graphics and you get a pretty mediocre experience overall.

2. Yooka-Laylee & the Impossible Lair - 1/16/20 - 16:41 - 7/10
Playtonic is slowly improving. Maybe people will actually buy the third YL game! This one's a fun DKC-esque 2.5D platformer and I enjoyed it pretty much the whole way through. I was a little afraid that the titular Impossible Lair would turn out to actually BE impossible, but in the end it only took 7 attempts. It is one hell of a difficulty spike, though, and that's one of the game's biggest flaws. I've been collecting these tonics the whole game (most of which are useless cosmetics or outright hindrances) and I can't even use them on the only hard part??? And, while the platforming is solid and minor overworld exploration mildly satisfying, there is a feeling that the assets used to make levels are severely limited. But, fuck it, buy this game so they can get the money to make an 8/10 Yooka-Laylee!

3. Resident Evil 2 Remake (True Ending) - 1/18/20 - 19:12:01 - 8/10
Great game. Haven't played the original but this definitely felt more like REmake than RE4 or 5, which is probably a good thing. Has that feeling of "oh fuck I'm about to run out of ammo I'm so fucked" but it never crosses the line of letting you actually get fucked. Lickers scared the shit out of me, and Mr. X-- I mean, Tyrant chasing you actually made the game more fun by forcing you to rush and take every hazard head-on instead of creeping around every corner like a coward. Tons of fun. FUCK that room with the four G-Adults though.

4. New Super Lucky's Tale (100% All Levels) - 1/30/20 - ??? - 7/10
A fine 2D/3D platformer but it's a baby game for babies. Felt like I was 20 years too old to be playing this the whole time lol. (Yes that's technically true for most games I play but I REALLY felt it with this one.) Only gets remotely challenging in the post-game content (and maybe a few of the statue-sliding puzzles) but even then it's, like, sub-3D Mario levels. Graphics and characters are bouncy and charming. Kids would love this game!

5. Darksiders 3 - 2/2/20 - 24:54:25 - 7/10
This might be my favorite Darksiders game yet and all it took was a little Dark Souls influence. My interest in the series is reinvigorated after Darksiders 2 being an utter slog almost completely killed it. However, there's one huge caveat: the performance is absolutely abysmal (at least on base PS4). Massive frame drops in certain areas are bad enough, but the game-wide issue of stopping you dead in your tracks to slowly load the area you're running into almost ruins the experience. There's not even a load screen. The game just freezes in place as every asset loads in. Fucking sucks. Regardless, I enjoyed the combat even though there's a clear move away from the DMC/GoW-esque fighting of the first two.

6. Hotline Miami (Epilogue + Secret Ending) - 2/6/20 - ??? - 7/10
OK so I'm absolutely awful at this game so I'm kinda biased against it. Replaying all the levels to get the secret ending helped me get a little better but there's still one or two levels that make me froth at the mouth. This game is all about dying over and over again as you try to figure out the best route to clear a floor of enemies and that repetition got really grating to me after a while, especially with enemy behaviors and weapon drops feeling like RNG that can just fuck you over. I also don't care much for the graphical style, although I do like the overall aesthetic the game is going for (moreso the music and story). I can still recognize that this game is pretty good, but it's simply not my cup of tea.

7. Resident Evil: Revelations - 2/12/20 - 8:54:38 - 7/10
Feels weird going back to the RE4/5 flavor of Resident Evil after playing the remakes. There's a part early on where enemies infinitely spawn out of monster closets while a boss chases you around and I thought "oh no, this is going to be shit" but thankfully the game never reached that level of terrible again. The game pretends it's like the original games by locking you in 1 location (a cruise ship) with optional backtracking but the AI partners, chapter breaks, and frequent perspective and timeline switching completely ruin that. God, the writing in this game is so dumb. Why did they feel the need to add a city floating in the sea that was destroyed by satellite lasers to the Resident Evil lore? Well now I'm just piling on criticism when this game was a pretty fun time so I'll stop now.

8. Witcher 3 Hearts of Stone + Blood and Wine [DLC] - 2/27/20 - long - 8/10
Amazing DLC for an already great game. Probably among the best and most bang-for-your buck DLC expansions ever made. Massive areas to explore, tons of new quests, truckloads of new loot, etc. Felt like I was playing Witcher 4. Can't really say anything bad about it except for the broken Ofieri gear quest in Hearts of Stone.

9. Anodyne - 3/11/20 - 6:17:17 - 6/10
Indie game I bought for 1 dollar. Zelda-esque gameplay and graphics, Earthbound-esque music and dialogue (sO qUiRky). Tries too hard to be vaguely creepy when I don't even know WHY it's trying to be creepy since the story is a big pile of nothing. Typical indie affair. But it's fine, dungeons have a nice flow and there are some neat puzzle mechanics here and there. Difficulty is on the easy side but that's okay. Postgame has an interesting gimmick but idk if I want to put the time in to discover all the secrets. TBH I mainly bought this because the sequel jumps to a polygonal PS1 look and I thought that was cool. However I can't forgive that this game's trophies are a glitched mess. 4 of them just didn't activate for whatever reason and I hate that.

10. Banjo-Tooie - 3/25/20 - 27:30:14 - 6/10
Having played both Banjo-Kazooie and Yooka-Laylee recently, it's easy to see how this game is an evolutionary step between the two. Levels are no longer small and relatively easy to get a feel of with one press of the first-person-view button. Every level is a massive affair segmented by tunnels and loading zones, with obfuscated and convoluted objectives, monumentally bad frame drops, and sluggish travel options (even with Talon Trot and warping). Every Jiggy that doesn't take 20 minutes to even wrap your brain around is a boss fight or a pathetically easy minigame where you shoot red, blue, and green targets for points. Even the most exciting new gameplay additions (the ability to play as Mumbo Jumbo and splitting up the titular bear and bird) quickly lose their luster as you realize that they can only be activated at certain points and are very limited in their individual abilities. Mumbo Jumbo is an outright detriment to the game as he can basically only do 1 or 2 things per level and is slow in both moving and attacking. Realizing that you can't progress in an objective without switching to him is like getting punched in the gut. I don't know if I ever really want a Banjo-Threeie after playing this and YL and hearing nothing but horror stories about DK64. The magic that made Banjo-Kazooie so great clearly left this team a long, long time ago. I wouldn't even call this game anywhere near "bad," but it certainly isn't good.

11. Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes - 3/29/20 - 15:29:30 - 6/10
Low-budget filler game to hold over fans between NMH 2 and 3. Has some great moments (especially for fans of Shadows of the Damned, holy shit) and feels pretty unique, like most Suda51 games. What other game can you describe as part hack-and-slash, part retro visual novel? However, the actual presentation leaves much to be desired, as the top-down core levels look dated despite the bold art design. The combat is serviceable yet disappointing with most interesting moves being locked to cooldown meters and a nasty input buffer system that made me feel like I wasn't really in control most of the time. Two accidental little taps of the strong attack or dodge buttons will leave you stuck in long animations with no way to cancel them, and this happened a LOT. The overall story is interesting, but it's mostly locked to optional datalogs that can be annoying to find, and the conflict in the premise of the game (Travis vs. Badman) is thrown in the dumpster almost immediately and barely even gets resolved in the DLC content. Speaking of DLC content, the new level fucking sucks and is the least enjoyable part of the game. Only buy this if you're a huge fan of Suda/Grasshopper and need some fanservice while you're bored waiting for NMH3.

12. Um Jammer Lammy - 4/11/20 - ??? - 7/10
God, I fucking suck at these games. Still have the same gripes with this one as I did with Parappa the Rapper. I NEED grading per note or I won't know what I'm doing wrong. I also hate how I can do better by literally mashing random buttons since the game values improvisation over hitting notes. Also Stage 6 contains the worst song I've ever heard in a video game. All in all, great aesthetic, mostly great songs, still frustratingly vague for a rhythm game. ~Nooo cuttin' corners! SHE'S ON THE BORDER NOOOOOOOOOOOOW~ Oh, also, it's fucking awesome that they included Parappa as a bonus character with brand new versions of the tracks. Got to Stage 6 with him and just gave up though lol.

13. Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom (100%) - 4/18/20 - 19:42:01 - 7/10
Not much to say about this one. Pretty standard mostly linear metroidvania action platformer with a gimmick of turning into different animals with special abilities. Enjoyed it more than the other Wonder Boy game I played (Dragon's Trap remake). Cute art & animation, decent difficulty curve, semi-retro feel. You'll probably need a walkthrough for one of the more ridiculous secrets but they usually aren't TOO obscure. Fun time.

14. Outer Wilds - 4/28/20 - 20+ hours - 8/10
Ever wanted Majora's Mask to be an interplanetary exploration game? Well here you go. I didn't know I wanted it either, but now that it's here I guess I did all along. And like Majora's Mask I loved the hell out of most of this experience, but absolutely hated certain more tedious aspects. However, explaining in detail what each of these parts was (good or bad) would do a disservice to anyone interested in this game as the high points of the experience are all about discovering something for yourself. I'll just say this: figuring out the Quantum Moon "puzzle" is my favorite moment in gaming this year so far. Stop reading this and go play this game. Now. NOW.

15. Horizon Zero Dawn: The Frozen Wilds [DLC] - 5/13/20 - 17:42:07 - 7/10
Okay DLC for an okay game. Doesn't add enough new machines to the roster, though. And the main quest resolves on an unsatisfying, sequel bait-y note. But it's quite the big, beautiful ice level and it's packed with content! Horizon Zero Dawn is a game that exists! Better story than Breath of the Wild! I'm struggling to find things to say about it!

16. Dead Space 2 - 5/14/20 - 11:34:10 - 6/10
I really hate to say this, but...it's just an inferior version of the first game. Except now I know what to expect so the cosmic horrors are way more annoying than scary. Like, I know sequels are supposed to escalate and iterate on their predecessors, but it really feels like sensible enemy placement went out the window and now necromorphs of any type can spawn out of any crack in the walls, ceilings, or floors in seemingly never-ending waves. And a lot of the new weapons they give you to deal with these threats don't feel as good as the originals, either. And jeez, what a BAD final hour. Kinda feel like a contrarian with this one since everyone seems to like DS2 just as much if not more than 1, but I wasn't really feeling it.

17. Super Cloudbuilt - 5/18/20 - ??? - 5/10
Feel weird about adding this one since I didn't do the extra-impossible secret levels for the true ending, but like...fuck it. This game's not my speed. Like, literally, it's a game designed for speedrunners and people who love to master everything about every game they play. But the mechanics are just too inconsistent for me to care (especially the weird ledge grabbing). It's like if Mega Man X was 3D, but with no boss fights, bad enemy design, and the polish of a rough indie game. Levels are somewhat freeform with multiple routes through, and there collectibles to find in each, but they often feel like a bunch of floating blocks slapped together with no rhyme or reason. I can see someone really loving this game, but not me.

18. Super Mario Maker 2 Story Mode - 5/26/20 - ??? - 7/10
Decent collection of ideas for making levels encased in a fun castle-rebuilding scenario. Wish the levels themselves were presented with more than just a literal list, though, and that they were grouped together with more theming/difficulty scaling in mind. It's nice that they included this, but nobody will really think of this mode when you ask them what makes Mario Maker special. It's also strange that there are so many more stages available than necessary to complete the "story." I'll come back to them later.

19. Knack 2 - 5/27/20 - 14:32:51 - 7/10
This is basically Knack 1 but better in a lot of ways. Same shitty story and characters, though. Lucas is so god damn annoying. Also drags on like Knack 1 and somehow manages to be even longer. But the bigger moveset makes up for it I guess? Pacing for the first half is slow as hell, with every chapter starting with the characters exploring a new location, almost discovering something about the villains' plan, but oops the villain was 1 step ahead better start over somewhere else!!! Yep...sure is Knack. Some genuinely cool moments make up for the dullness, though. Can't wait for the inevitable 3rd Knack game no one asked for, exclusive to PS5. Fuck, I'll probably play it too!

20. Ikaruga - 6/6/20 - 0:35:37 - uhhh
Beat this on free play mode because I fucking suck at shmups. Not even gonna give it a score because I barely interacted with the real experience. But yeah shmups aren't for me though I always wanted to try this one out and......yeah......

21. Dreams - 6/18/20 - infinite - 8/10
This isn't really a game you can 'beat' per se, unless you're only talking about the very short campaign. Said campaign, called Art's Dream, is actually pretty good and tries to display all of the potential that this engine has. Actually using this engine to create things, however? Nahhhhh there are like 30 tutorial lessons, I'll just play other people's creations. And play them I did! And some of them were great mini-games in their own right, while others were complete dogshit! It's truly a mixed bag of an experience where you can find pretty much anything, but I just decided to arbitrarily cut it off here to add to this list. This is a really good game to turn on once in a while to see the cool and weird things people are making in it. It's absolutely worth the asking price.

22.  Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number - 6/26/20 - idk a few hours - 6/10
More of the first game, but less impactful. Original didn't have much of a story, but what was there worked really well. This time there's like a dozen different playable characters and storylines and it all adds up to a big fat nothing. Mostly played this because I got the two games in a bundle. There's some cool ideas here but, again, it mostly feels like a set of bonus levels for HM1 with no real through-line. First one is definitely better.

23. Runner3 - 6/29/20 - 10:39:42 - 6/10
Somewhat fun autorunner marred by hideous graphical style and obnoxious sense of humor. Half the game is a shitty optional flash-tier platformer that dares to call itself "retro" when it's piss easy and doesn't remotely look like a retro game.  Didn't do the "Impossible" levels because I don't give a fuck! Shovel Knight is in the game though so I'll give it a 6 instead of a 5. :)

24. Mass Effect 3 - 7/12/20 - 47:04 - 5/10
Some character deaths were stupid and contrived. Illusive Man and Cerberus go from ambiguous forces to cartoonishly evil villains. Kai Leng exists. Centuries long interspecies conflicts are resolved way too easily. Your choices don't matter toward the ending at all. Many great previous party members just show up in one weak cameo mission and then leave (though this was likely a result of ME2's dumb final mission). Weak new squad with NO FUCKING KROGAN. The main antagonistic force is revealed to be a hypocritical bunch of idiots that contradict themselves and potentially THE THEMES OF THE GAME YOU JUST PLAYED. Gameplay was functional though. But it's just a cover shooter with some special psychic powers. Mass Effect was a mistake.

25. Yoku's Island Express (100% PLATINUM TRUE ENDING) - 7/18/20 - short - 7/10
Adorable pinball adventure. Short and easy, to the point you can't even die. I was also able to 100% it without looking ANYTHING up, which is a rarity for me. Characters have an ugly-cute theme that works really well, way better than Runner3 which just ended up being fucking ugly. Game design feels like a mini-metroidvania. I would have preferred a more full-fledged adventure but what's here is pretty good. Maybe a sequel could expand on this concept some more. Would recommend this to anyone looking for a little indie distraction with a novel twist.

26. Halo: Combat Evolved - 7/27/20 - the length of 1 halo - 8/10
Halo fuckin' rules! Fuck yeah I love Halo! Except for the last 6 minutes of the game, in which GAYlo fucking sucks!! Actually the last 4 levels were all pretty annoying. Too many repeated areas and monster closets. Rest of the campaign was great though. IDK what else to say, it's Halo. Sci-fi military FPS fun with iconic designs and bizarre vehicle controls. Was fun to play this for myself after only watching my brother play it as a kid.

27. A Hat in Time (100% PLATINUM) - 7/29/20 - hat time - 7/10
What if you took Super Mario Sunshine, Wind Waker, Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, Psychonauts, and a bunch of other games of that era into a blender and mixed them all up? Well...you would get a messy slop. A messy slop that's pretty fun to play, but a messy slop nonetheless. A Hat in Time is a game that is too obsessed with wearing its inspirations on its sleeve to forge its own identity, resulting in a cavalcade of charming, but all too familiar (and sometimes half-baked) gameplay and story ideas that don't add up to a cohesive picture. However, the basic platforming is good enough to stitch it into a fine patchwork of an experience that'll please you for its oddly short runtime. Seriously, the game could have used like one more world; the fact that they eventually released TWO DLC worlds for it is telling. WISH THEY WERE ON PS4!!!!!

28. Deadly Creatures - 8/4/20 - spiders, scorpions and rednecks, oh my - 6/10
Cool idea for a game! Switching between a tarantula and a scorpion to tear shit up in the Sonoran Desert with intense combat and cinematic kills? Fuck yes! Oh, it's on the Wii? Oh, the game runs like shit and the combat is janky as hell and there are motion control gimmicks ingrained into every action? Oh.........Well, you get to sting Dennis Hopper in the balls three times before he explodes in a fiery tornado, so there's that.

29. Fallout: New Vegas - 8/20/20 - 77:25:30 - 8/10
My first real playthrough of a Fallout game, and most likely my last because 3&4 are bad and 1&2 are too old and crusty. Despite playing a Bethesda game on a scuffed used copy on an XBox 360 and suffering around TWENTY game crashes, I had a pretty great time with this. It's rare to find a game with actual nuanced moral choices that aren't PRESS A TO DO GOOD THING/PRESS B TO DO BAD THING; I was genuinely conflicted on which faction to choose all the way to the very ending (except Caesar's Legion, fuck those fascists). Well-written quests and companion characters, rough but frequently satisfying combat, atmosphere that can switch between crushingly desolate and oddly comfortable at the press of a radio button, and a massive post-nuclear desert world come together to make one very special game.

30. The Legendary Starfy - 8/21/20 - 14:19 - 6/10
What would happen if you took Kirby but he was a star creature (but not a starfish???) and put him underwater and he can't fly around or suck enemies down his gullet or do anything interesting......whoa dude.........Wait that's too harsh, this game is fine. Pretty basic and easy 2D platformer, but it has its charm. Not surprised they never brought over the rest of the series, though. Got the secret "ending" but not the secret boss because it's locked behind Time Attack bullshit. Story is cute but the dialogue scenes can kind of drag on, especially considering what kind of game this is. Won't challenge you (or anyone) but it's decent if you're down for a Kirby-like.

31. Kameo: Elements of Power - 9/7/20 - 14:10 - 6/10
The Knack of the Xbox 360. By that I mean it's a glorified tech demo launch title that was clearly made to show off physics engines, special effects, and number of objects onscreen with the thin disguise of a 'video game' plastered on it to trick customers. The rushed, sparse, and predictable story fails to deliver at any point. The combat is basic and boring, with many of the monsters you transform into feeling interchangeable. There's no deep combo system and attacks don't even flow particularly well into each other. To hide this fact, they try to make you feel 'cool' by activating an EPIC SLOWDOWN MATRIX MODE whenever you attack an enemy enough (a couple of the transformations can activate this by mashing one button for 5 seconds), but this just serves to slow the combat down even more. The gameplay loop is vaguely Zelda-esque (world map -> town -> dungeon) but the overworld is mostly empty besides hordes of enemies, the "dungeons" lack puzzles and are just shallow linear combat setpieces, and the towns lack any interesting characters or quests. I could go on and on with the negatives, but I'll cut it short and say that the game is very pretty for its time, using Major Ruin to spin around and traverse the world is mostly fun, and the towns and characters feel expressive and lively. A game with this transformation gimmick but with actually good combat would be awesome, but we got Kameo instead!

32. Halo 2 - 9/19/20 - gaylo - 7/10
More Halo. Hated the dual wielding at first but got used to it. Fun game, can play as alien guy. Loses a point for that ending tho, wtf??????????? "Finish the fight" my ass, how bout finish your fucking game you assholes!

33. Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir - 9/25/20 - 39:52:44 - 7/10
A serenely beautiful, fundamentally flawed almost-masterpiece. You'll play through the first character's story thinking highly of this game, but you'll soon realize that yes, you really do have to play through minor variations of that experience 4 more times with the other characters. It's a good thing the core 2D character-action combat is so fun at a base level, with the enemy-juggling, spellcasting, skill-spamming visual clutter allowing you to turn off your brain and watch the combo numbers get huge, or else the repetition would drive any player insane. The gameplay loop is so incessantly and pointlessly samey that you'll wonder if they couldn't have cut this game in half or so. The hard-to-follow, in-media-res story is told across 5 different characters and somewhat difficult to piece together, but it just barely keeps the game from falling apart.

34. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance + Sam/Wolf DLCs - 10/2/20 - 9:33 overall - 8/10
This is more of the crazy action goodness you'd expect from Platinum Games, and it's definitely one of the best games they've ever produced, but there a few things that keep it from being in the same echelon of the genre as Devil May Cry or Bayonetta. For starters, it's a little too short, with the main campaign being easily completable in fewer than 6 hours. This is like half, or sometimes almost a third, of the length of the game's cohorts. On top of this, of the 8 main chapters, the final 3 are comparatively short next to the rest, consisting of a short gauntlet of enemies, a boss fight, or both. There isn't much room to fully explore the mechanics or use all of the enemy types enough or combinations of them in this short runtime, so the game has to rely on unlockable optional VR missions to get the full breadth of these possibilities. Sadly, there's no real incentive to completing these, and a lot of them are hard to find, so I didn't even bother. However, my biggest and most serious gripe with the game has to be this: just because this is a Metal Gear game does NOT mean they had to include stealth options. No one bought this game or ANY character action game to sit in a cardboard box and wait for enemies to pass you by. Imagine if you were slashing enemies to pieces in a Devil May Cry game and suddenly Trish or whatever calls you over the phone and yaps about avoiding alerting the next group of enemies. Pick a game: trying your hardest to avoid enemies, or facing them head on in balls-to-the-wall encounters. YOU CAN'T HAVE BOTH. Other than all of that, this game is great! Especially the boss fights, the music, the ridiculous cutscenes and villain speeches, and of course the parrying and Zandatsu's gory shenanigans. It's a shame there was never a sequel to fully flesh out some of the ideas present here and give us even more great enemies and bosses. FUCK Konami.

35. Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen - 10/26/20 - 58:01 - 6/10
Whoever performed a satanic ritual to summon an unholy mishmash of Elder Scrolls, Dark Souls, and Monster Hunter but without any of the things that make those games good, please take it back to hell with you. We don't want it. Or it's probably just me who doesn't want it, because this game has a die-hard fanbase for some reason. Weirdos, all of 'em. Let's see here: the medieval open world exploration of Elder Scrolls without good quest writing to spark your interest in its locales, the occasional crushing difficulty and vagueness of Dark Souls without the gorgeously intricate level design or intriguing/likeable NPCs, the focus on killing big fantasy monsters of Monster Hunter without the enemy variety (hope you like fighting cyclopes and chimeras)...what a shame, because I really wanted to like this game. Although that desire was thrown out the window about 8 hours in when I got a big "QUEST FAILED" message on what is apparently a major sidequest, after not receiving any indication that some quests can expire. I probably should have started using a guide after that point, but should I really HAVE to? Anyway so yeah I kept missing tons of side content, although I can't really muster up interest in quests that focus on the players in Dragon's Dogma's laughably abysmal story. God damn it's bad. However, all of these problems might have been solved in the Bitterblack Isle DLC, with its more labyrinthine level design, character-focused lore, and new, tough bosses to fight. But I got 1 boss in before I realized how bored of this game I was, left to finish the main story, and got forcibly kicked into New Game+. Fuck this game LOL. Maybe another iteration could polish the game's highlights (pawn system, class switching, huge boss fights) while improving or outright removing its fatal flaws (empty world, poor storytelling, tedious inventory system, no fucking lock on whatsoever, pointlessly vague quest system, lack of enemies, et cetera forever), but it's been 8 years and a failed MMO, so...

36. Vanquish - 11/3/20 - 5:48:20 - 7/10
Cool third-person shooter by Platinum with a fun gimmick where you can boost around at high speeds and activate slow-mo to blast enemies away while you're at it. Shinji Mikami takes the director's helm for this, which means the story and dialogue are even cornier than the usual Platinum affair. At some points it feels like a prototype for Metal Gear Rising's overall themes. However it's kind of hard to take it seriously here when the surprisingly grim cliffhanger ending abruptly cuts to some ridiculous asteroid shoot-em-up credits sequence with the dev's faces on the flying rocks. Combat has depth compared to your average TPS, with some neat mechanics that the game doesn't even tell you about, but still suffers from the clunkiness of its mother genre, especially in terms of the melee "combat." As usual for this developer, the real highlights are the more complex bosses and minibosses you'll be fighting. Runtime is expectedly short, but I'd recommend this to any fan of action games.

37. LocoRoco Remastered - 11/13/20 - 5 or 6 hours - 7/10
I think I played the original 2 LocoRocos on the PSP but I don't remember if I ever actually beat them back then, so here we are! This is an adorable 2D physics-based platformer where you control your little blob's movement through tilting the world around it. The gorgeous flat aesthetics and musical gimmick where whichever character you choose sings along to the level music are big highlights. With all physics-based games, though, there's a high chance of frustration with some pretty simple-looking jumps needing an increased level of precision. This peculiarity combines with the fact that one bit of damage can lose you so many little LocoRocos AND the game's emphasis on collecting secrets (that are often way too well hidden) to make a somewhat polarizing experience when the game is so cutesy and carefree at first glance. I definitely ain't 100%ing this game, no siree!

38. Shantae and the Seven Sirens - 11/14/20 - 9:12:37 - 7/10
Functional, serviceable, bland, flavorless Metroidvania featuring Shantae. You gotta have something in your game to make it stand out in this flooded genre these days, dude. I guess the sprite animations are good? Anime girls? Uhhhh...I guess there's the monster card collecting, but that feels like a watered-down version of the soul farming from the GBA/DS Castlevanias. This game won't be anyone's favorite, but it's perfectly fine.

39. Pikmin 3 (Wii U) - 12/9/20 - 13:29 or 17:35 idk which to believe - 8/10
I'd only played Pikmin 2 before this so I wasn't used to the "time" limit but I amassed an overabundance of fruit juice by the end so it was ultimately pretty easy. R.I.P. to around 350 Pikmin though. :( Alph, Brittany, and Charlie are great new characters. I'm fine with them replacing Olimar/Louie if there's ever a Pikmin 4. Don't know why it took me so long to pay this; aside from some glitchy Pikmin behaviors and a tedious final level it's a pretty fun time.

40. Jotun: Valhalla Edition - 12/17/20 - short - 5/10
Boring-ass indie boss rush with only 6 bosses and long, empty "levels" inbetween. Your character only has 2 core attacks: a 2-hit light attack combo an extremely slow overhead heavy attack. However, the light attack does so little damage that you'll only be using the heavy attack on the bosses, so it's basically a one-button game outside of the limited-use special movies you can unlock. It's like they realized that the combat is so inherently limited that the player would get fatigued of it quickly so they barely put any enemies in the sparse "puzzle" areas. They should have cut these sections out entirely and fully committed to being a simple boss rush game with more bosses. Bad ideas, horrible execution in pretty much every aspect. Only thing saving this from being like a 4 is that the hand-drawn bosses look cool I guess.

41. Shovel Knight: King of Cards - 12/21/20 - 11:06:46 - 7/10
Dropped this when it came out last year because I hated the card game nonsense, but decided to give it a second chance and found out that you can actually skip all the card bullshit. Game was a lot more fun after that lmao. So yeah, this was the final DLC campaign for Shovel Knight and it's obviously about as good as all SK content inevitably is, but still a little disappointing to me. The FINAL piece of content for this game got bogged down by minigame fluff and an awkward wall-bashing character gimmick? Meh. Story is also yet another side chapter prologue thingy that leads into the main story, instead of hinting at anything cool beyond this long-ass project. I'll definitely miss this game though; it truly was THAT indie game of the 2010s.

42. Unravel Two - 12/22/20 - a couple hours - 8/10
Good, simple fun. It's like the first game but with 2 little yarnies instead of one. That means it's automatically better. But yeah I love me a good-ol' puzzle platformer every once in a while. This one has a neat quirk where you control 2 characters connected by a piece of string and have to deal with that string and use it to your advantage to traverse farther and find your way through tricky puzzle rooms. Could have been a little longer, though. Surprisingly good graphics. Play this with a friend, or don't if you're a loser like me!!!

43. Sayonara Wild Hearts - 12/28/20 - 1:15 - 7/10
Final game of the year. This was cute but about half as long as it needed to be to last a real impact. I don't think it's too much to ask for a game to be like 3 hours. Will go for gold ranks to squeeze what I can out of this limited experience. As it stands, this is merely a blueprint of what could have been a musical indie masterpiece.

AAAAAAAA

January 01, 2020, 07:44:28 PM #4 Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 01:02:07 PM by AAAAAAAA
SloppyJimbo's Sector

Completed:
  • Takeshi and Hiroshi - 1/1
  • Picross S - 1/1
  • A Hat in Time - 2/12
  • Dragon Quest XI S - 2/22
  • Warcraft III: Reforged - 3/6
  • Death Stranding - 3/8
  • AI: The Somnium Files - 3/17
  • The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - 3/21
  • Warcraft III: Reforged - The Frozen Throne - 3/23
  • Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair - 3/30
  • Pikuniku - 4/1
  • Picross S2- 4/14
  • Dishonored 2 - 4/19
  • Shadow of the Colossus - 4/24
  • Halo: Combat Evolved - 4/26
  • Uncharted 4: A Thief's End - 5/4
  • West of Loathing - 5/11
  • Black Mesa - 5/20
  • Ace Attorney Investigations 2 - 5/24
  • Ori and the Will of the Wisps - 6/4
  • Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 6/5
  • Fire Emblem: Three Houses (Golden Deer) - 6/13
  • Donkey Kong Country - 7/??
  • Family - 8/??
  • Yoku's Island Express - 8/13
  • Shadow of the Tomb Raider - 8/17
  • Paper Mario: The Origami King - 8/??
  • Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2 - 9/17
  • DOOM Eternal - 9/17
  • Word Laces - 9/19
  • Ratchet + Clank (2016) - 9/19
  • Luigi's Mansion 3 - 9/24
  • Donkey Kong Country 2 - 10/4
  • Alan Wake - 10/16
  • Hades - 11/6
  • Picross S3 - 11/8
  • NieR: Automata - 11/10
  • moon - 11/18
  • Final Fantasy - 11/19
  • Kentucky Route Zero - 11/22
  • World's End Club (Part 1) - 11/28
  • Cuphead - 12/1
  • Monument Valley 2 - 12/8
  • Florence - 12/9
  • Spyro the Dragon (Reignited) - 12/9
  • The Last of Us Part II - 12/17
  • Donkey Kong Country 3 - 12/22
  • Spyro 2: Ripto's Revenge (Reignited) - 12/24
  • Axiom Verge - 12/27
  • Hylics - 12/28
  • Alan Wake's American Nightmare - 12/29
  • A Short Hike - 12/30

C.Mongler

You played Takeshi and Hirosh? What did you think?

I thought it was a neat idea at first but the end of the game really fucked my feelings on the whole things. The gameplay was annoying as shit towards the end and the "ending" was just bad; unfinished even lol.

AAAAAAAA

Quote from: C.Mongler on January 01, 2020, 08:30:09 PMYou played Takeshi and Hirosh? What did you think?

I thought it was a neat idea at first but the end of the game really fucked my feelings on the whole things. The gameplay was annoying as shit towards the end and the "ending" was just bad; unfinished even lol.

It was cute. Can't complain too much given how short it was, honestly. I did struggle a bit with the last level, and it started to feel kinda like rolling dice. It did end a little abruptly I guess (I don't even remember the ending and I finished it hours ago lol) but I don't know what needed tying up really.

Now Tangle Tower, that game's ending really was unsatisfying, especially given how great everything up to it was.

Samus Aran

January 01, 2020, 08:56:13 PM #7 Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 01:17:23 AM by Samus Aran
tbh i'm not going to make much of an effort to do this challenge this year. i'll try to do at least 20 new games but no we'll see lol

if anything i might focus more on replays and speedruns

Games Destroyed

• Fallout 4 - 2/?? - 75 hrs
  • Animal Crossing - New Horizons - 5/?? - 60 hrs
  • Helltaker - 6/11 - 1 hr
  • Metroid: Other M - 6/12 - 12 hrs
  • eXceed 2nd: Vampire REX - 6/13 - 45 mins
  • Mega Man 7 - 6/24 - 5 hrs
  • Mega Man 8 - 6/25 - 5 hrs
  • Mega Man: The Power Battle - 7/27 - 1 hr
  • Mega Man 2: The Power Fighters - 7/27 - 1 hr
  • Quake - 10/2 - 7 hrs
  • The Shell of Permafrost - 10/3 - 1 hr
  • Layers of Fear - 10/7 - 4 hrs
  • Guilty Gear XX Accent Core+R (story mode, May) - 10/23 - 30 mins
  • Crawl - 12/3 - 1 hr
  • Muse Dash - 12/3 - 6 hrs

Replays

• Super Mario 64 - countless times due to speedrunning
  • Mega Man X - casual run in stream + speedruns
  • Ocarina of Time - countless times due to randomizer runs
  • Majora's Mask - one randomizer run
  • A Link to the Past - countless times due to randomizer runs
  • Pokemon Snap - casual run in stream
  • Mega Man 3 - in order to unlock Mega Man: The Power Battle on my PS2 Anniversary Collection

C.Mongler

Quote from: Samus Aran on January 01, 2020, 08:56:13 PMtbh i'm not going to make much of an effort to do this challenge this year. i'll try to do at least 20 new games but no we'll see lol

if anything i might focus more on replays and speedruns
i've never made an effort tbf lol i mostly just make this thread to keep track of how much i actually beat FOR SCIENCE
like i now know about 30 games a year is my most realistic pace without some sorta lifestyle change lol

do whatever you'd like friend-o

TooB

January 02, 2020, 06:46:26 AM #9 Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 04:28:47 PM by TooB
JOJO GAME DO LIST

1. Mega Man: The Wily Wars (1/2/20)
         Neat Mario AllStars-style remakes of MM 1-3 with an all new section after beating all 3. Recommended.

2. Star Wars Battlefront 2 (2005) (1/5/20)

3. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (2019) (1/17/20)

4. Kingdom Hearts 3: Re:Mind (1/26/20)

5. Mega Man Zero (2/27/20)

6. Ori and the Blind Forest (3/8/20)

7. Final Fantasy VII Remake (4/15/20)

8. Streets of Rage 4 (4/30/20)

9. Horizon Zero Dawn (5/11/20)

10. Resident Evil 3 REmake (5/17/20)

11. Saints Row The Third Remastered (5/28/20)

12. Shantae and the Seven Sirens (06/04/20)

13. Spyro 2 Reignited (07/06/20)

14. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2 (I forgot)

15. Doom Eternal (9/27/20)

We'll see

silvertone

TooB

One game down. (I wonder, can I count it as four games lol?)

Samus Aran

C.Mongler

lol my backlog and wants-2-play for 2020 is already at 30 and theres like nothing past april on that list im FUCKED

AAAAAAAA

Quote from: C.Mongler on January 03, 2020, 11:53:16 AMlol my backlog and wants-2-play for 2020 is already at 30 and theres like nothing past april on that list im FUCKED

I'm afraid to write my full list down.

Go Up