March 28, 2024, 02:26:20 AM

1,531,609 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

black november 2k18 haul thread

Started by Kalahari Inkantation, November 22, 2018, 06:31:45 AM

previous topic - next topic

Are you partaking in our annual celebration of the miracle of retail this year?

I am.
3 (60%)
I am not.
2 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Go Down

YPrrrr

75 seems perfect to me but then again I watch a lot of sports so bigger can be better.

For gaming I prefer a more mediumish screen

C.Mongler

Quote from: Snowy on November 22, 2018, 12:38:03 PM
Quote from: C.Mongler on November 22, 2018, 11:11:50 AMi finished my BF shopping on tuesday lol
damn does your fiancé know about your bf???
you jest but i do legitimately keep my video game addiction a secret from her as much as possible lol
guess i will not be able to do this as much once i have a joint bank account doodhuh;

strongbad

idk what i'm really looking for but i am interested in buying shit of course

jcrew is 50% off site wide- pretty good but i dont really need anything for my wardrobe atm

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: YPrrrr on November 23, 2018, 09:06:42 AM75 seems perfect to me but then again I watch a lot of sports so bigger can be better.

my current tv is 50in which is about as big as it could be without totally rearranging my room, and i don't know if i'd benefit from anything much larger than that anyway considering that i can't sit any further back from it than ~5 feet lol, it's already pretty big for such a small viewing distance

it is tempting to upgrade to a 4k hdr tv though, prices are getting almost irresistible

but i don't exactly ~need~ that and i don't even have any media devices that could adequately support that resolution lol

maybe in a year or two if i'm hopefully less broke goodjob;

don't let's

Quote from: Magyarorszag on November 23, 2018, 12:24:01 PM
Quote from: YPrrrr on November 23, 2018, 09:06:42 AM75 seems perfect to me but then again I watch a lot of sports so bigger can be better.

my current tv is 50in which is about as big as it could be without totally rearranging my room, and i don't know if i'd benefit from anything much larger than that anyway considering that i can't sit any further back from it than ~5 feet lol, it's already pretty big for such a small viewing distance

it is tempting to upgrade to a 4k hdr tv though, prices are getting almost irresistible

but i don't exactly ~need~ that and i don't even have any media devices that could adequately support that resolution lol

maybe in a year or two if i'm hopefully less broke goodjob;

just watch tv over vr

Kalahari Inkantation

last purchased: another ssd (500gb, $66) and soulcalibur 6 ($35, ps4), both as birthday gifts for brother (i personally don't care much about soulcalibur lol) goodjob;

and also a cpu cooler ($30 - $10 rebate (awdood;)) lol

All in all I've spent about $390 this November. God bless consumerism and God bless the $USD.

YPrrrr

I guess I did end up getting an $80 400gb microSD for my Switch today and then I can jam the 128gb card in there into my phone instead.

I am going to see if Soul Calibur is still on sale, I'll get that for my brother

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: YPrrrr on November 26, 2018, 09:01:18 AMI guess I did end up getting an $80 400gb microSD for my Switch today and then I can jam the 128gb card in there into my phone instead.

I am going to see if Soul Calibur is still on sale, I'll get that for my brother

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SOULCALIBUR-VI-PlayStation-4-/302924128986

sold by newegg, for a whole $1 less than i paid for it

best buy also has it for $35

Quote from: don't let's on November 23, 2018, 04:41:56 PMjust watch tv over vr

soon :'(

YPrrrr

Quote from: Magyarorszag on November 26, 2018, 10:04:35 AM
Quote from: YPrrrr on November 26, 2018, 09:01:18 AMI guess I did end up getting an $80 400gb microSD for my Switch today and then I can jam the 128gb card in there into my phone instead.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SOULCALIBUR-VI-PlayStation-4-/302924128986

sold by newegg, for a whole $1 less than i paid for it

best buy also has it for $35

Quote from: don't let's on November 23, 2018, 04:41:56 PMjust watch tv over vr

soon :'(
Ah he is a silly boy and has an XBone but I got it off Best Buy thanks cuddledoods;

strongbad

bought
a cashmere beanie and a fleece from uniqlo
some nice bike tires that were on sale for $30 each (usually like $60-70 per tire)
ultimate chicken horse on steam for me and my brother

fun shit

ClassicTyler

I got a $30 12-Cup Coffee maker for $8.  giggle;  hocuspocus;

bluaki

November 26, 2018, 03:05:43 PM #26 Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 03:11:52 PM by bluaki
I have some interest in a better TV because I want a larger screen (from 49" to something like 65" or 75"), HDR, and most importantly full-array local dimming, but I'll wait for next year's models instead of buying now.

I've been looking through a bunch of deals for the past few weeks but haven't seen much I care about. Mostly I just grabbed a few movies. I also got a 1TB SSD and another flash drive.

That $200 for a PS4 Slim + Spider Man is a fantastic deal and the best one I've seen this month but useless to me since I already have a PS4.

Quote from: Magyarorszag on November 22, 2018, 06:47:16 AMfor example, i got a 5(!) tb 7200rpm hdd for $110 earlier this month, and last week i got a 1tb ssd for $130 :3

i can't imagine i'll ever use as much as 5 whole terabytes of hdd space, but i did need to upgrade from my old filled-to-capacity mechanical drive and at that price why not
You can get an 8TB HDD for around that same price if you keep an eye out for deals and don't mind buying a (shuckable) external drive. 4TB ones are regularly in the $70~90 range. 5TB isn't a very common or popular capacity tier.

All my 3.5" hard drives combined total about 22TB (16TB active, 6TB cold) but I'm a crazy data hoarder sillydood;

I actually only have about 6TB of data, which with mirroring consumes 12TB of space. Sometimes I look at the datahoarder reddit to keep an eye on deals and I don't even hold a candle to their crazy setups with like 12x 10TB drives.

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: bluaki on November 26, 2018, 03:05:43 PMYou can get an 8TB HDD for around that same price if you keep an eye out for deals and don't mind buying a (shuckable) external drive. 4TB ones are regularly in the $70~90 range. 5TB isn't a very common or popular capacity tier.

All my 3.5" hard drives combined total about 22TB (16TB active, 6TB cold) but I'm a crazy data hoarder sillydood;

I actually only have about 6TB of data, which with mirroring consumes 12TB of space. Sometimes I look at the datahoarder reddit to keep an eye on deals and I don't even hold a candle to their crazy setups with like 12x 10TB drives.

i considered doing the old shuck-'n'-cuck, but the exact model of hdd you end up with is kind of a lottery and external drives are exceedingly unlikely to be faster (7200rpm) ones in the first place, plus shucking invalidates the warranty so ultimately i decided against it

5tb is far more that i see myself needing for the foreseeable future, and at a certain point i value faster speeds over excessively higher capacities

and that toshiba drive is a fast one, the fastest (affordable) one in the 4tb+ capacity range

https://hdd.userbenchmark.com/Toshiba-X300-5TB/Rating/3593

#22 on a list of over 1000 tested drives O_0

5tb definitely isn't common though and i almost went for a 4tb one instead because it seems so strange, but the 4tb model was $99 and the 5tb model was $109 and marginally faster and in any case toshiba's reliability statistics seem to be pretty good at all capacities so w/e lol

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: bluaki on November 26, 2018, 03:05:43 PMAll my 3.5" hard drives combined total about 22TB (16TB active, 6TB cold) but I'm a crazy data hoarder sillydood;

jeebus

my cumulative total for 3.5" drives is 8tb, i have a 2tb backup drive and i'm now retiring my 1tb storage drive and replacing it with the 5tb

i guess i could repurpose it to mirror my system ssd instead of completely retiring it

including my ssds in the count brings my total up to 9.24tb, and then if i add some very old 2.5" external backup drives to that i end up at 10.49tb, which seems like a lot but isn't even half your total lol

and i only have ~1.5tb of data

also i took a cursory glance at that subr*ddit once and someone had managed to amass a petabyte of data

AAAAAAAA

Go Up