Gaming Accessories General - Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Edition

Started by 6M69I69B9, November 05, 2018, 10:04:22 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

6M69I69B9

I know this is meant for gaming accessories in general...BUT...

I was saving this guide for the Ult. Smash Bros. thread BUT I think this will be flexible for a decent Switch experience.  If anybody's gonna finna wanna be fiending smash like I am- you might want to take these suggestions into place.  I'm gonna start sounding like a shill but w/e.  I want the Boys to be smooth if they're gonna go all OUT. 

Personally, I've been preparing for ult and pretty much got everything I need.  And here's what I got:

Controllers:
Gamecube Controller- is the best way competitively because a wired connection reduces input lag- that 1 frame can truly matter.  If you want a prime ass controller, any controller that's stated to be in good condition for Melee may also be prime for Smash 4 & Smash Ult (usually Melee needs tight sticks and some other meta shit- and it all really depends on the hardware the GC controller has- getting one raw in the wild is actually tough, and that's why there's a demand for custom-made controllers, which can run into the low to mid 100s).

Anyway, for brands:
Nintendo- do i even have to explain.  Though there are differences between the Smash 4 and Ultimate ones:
Quote from: bluaki on November 06, 2018, 11:15:00 PM
Quote from: 6M69I69B9 on November 05, 2018, 10:04:22 PMThe ones marketed for Smash 4 and Ultimate are the same shit different icons.
There are some slight manufacturing differences between the Smash Bros controllers and original GameCube controllers. I believe the triggers feel different and there's some difference in how the sticks are designed. Most notably they have longer cables, at 3 meters instead of 2.
HORI- Their shit is PRIME- get theirs, they're also getting good reviews from top players. 
Literally any $9 knock-off- don't.

The ones marketed for Smash 4 and Ultimate are the same shit different icons.  All really vary in quality form what I'm seeing from other people's accounts of them. 

If you wanna go off the deep-end, then you can go to these websites to get your custom prime controllers and parts:
https://www.controllerchaos.com
https://battlebeavercustoms.com/
https://www.multishinedesigns.com/

At this point if you've gone off the deep end, it's going to be convenient getting a case for your controller if you ever end up getting a prime one.  Multi-Shine and Controller Chaos sell slimmer ones. 

In addition to this- GC Controllers have tri-wing screws- so getting a tri-wing screwdriver would be up your ally to do any adjustments yourself.  Personally, I swap some buttons for the sake of design, and then once in a while I clean my controllers in-depth to the point of having to disassemble them.

Switch Pro Controller- Second best way to go about this- it's actually preferred to play wirelessly considering when it's wired- for some reason, there is more chance for input lag.  I'm actually looking forward to using this instead of my GC controller.
HORI Switch Wired Controller- Personally I got it though uhhh lol I didn't put in any research.  I got it first but then didn't like the feel of it, so I bought a Switch Pro controller.  I'll fill this in the future. 
Joy Cons: uhh idk what to put here you're on your own LMAO
*new* 3DS XL: Hell, I don't know if they're going to offer an app that lets you play with your 3DS like they did with Smash 4, but if they do- DAMN playing with this one is underrated as Hell and the connectivity is actually GOOD from my experience @least.

Gamecube Controller Adapters:
Don't get those shitty knock-offs that cost $9-$10.  The ports can have the cursors moving on their own or just fuck up mid-game.  The one I have is like that- I have to plug in and out my GC controller sometimes to get it stable.  Unfortunately there are errors among all of them regardless of price- but there are better brands:
Brands:
Nintendo- The one for Smash 4 is the same shit for Ultimate.  Also fun fact, you can get off with having just one of the USB plugs in.  Why?  Because the second one is for the rumble feature lol.
Maytag- They're even used in tournament.  Though they can still fuck up.  Though I like the shape of them in comparison to the official ones. 
Any other 3rd party is out of my knowledge.

Lan Adapters:
Warning: Because Nintendo is still living in 2006, there is an issue going on where if you leave your ethernet cable plugged into your Switch in sleep mode, it will literally heat up.  Plug it out after usage for precaution.  Will update this when there's further news on this.

Anyway, there is an official one being sold right now on Nintendo's site- Wii U's will even work, same shit.  Though, there are other alternatives if you want- and these are guaranteed to work with the Switch.  Though if you got great Wi-Fi- you can prob ditch this idea. 
(Personally I got the plugable one.)
Plugable- https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Ethernet-Network-Compatible-Chromebook/dp/B00484IEJS/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1541480745&sr=8-16&keywords=Nintendo+Switch+lan+adapter
UGreen- https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Network-Ethernet-Supports-Nintendo/dp/B00MYTSN18/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1526581786&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=Nintendo+Switch+lan+adapter&psc=1
And then ofc you need an ethernet cable- literally any one will do.  I haven't put in any research into this.

Portability
Now, if you're gonna go out and wanna play smash with a Gamecube controller (lol this is probably going to be a common thing for competitive players even if it seems a bit much), or even going to tourneys- and there's no set up or nothing available- get this.  It's an adjustable cradle with 4 USB ports and 1 Type-C USB port.  Seems ridiculous looking at set-ups because it looks like a mess (Switch, cradle, GC controller adapter, controllers, AC adapter all bunched up) but it is what it is. 
http://stores.horiusa.com/multiport-usb-playstand-for-nintendo-switch/

Anyway, here are my experiences with every controller I've had for the current gen.

Steam Controller- Only use it for Dead by Daylight.  Works decently for Virtual Novels.  Trying to use it outside of Steam is kinda ass- tried to use this for Hearthstone but it was just too much.  The mouse feature on a controller has been pretty cool though.

Switch Pro Controller- I think this is alright- I haven't had any issues with it at all.  I love it- though I think the sensitivity when using it with Steam is a bit much but I think it's adjustable- conveniently there's a bunch of options to play with when adjusting settings to your needs in Steam.

Also really random- but:
I love the Club Nintendo 3DS Pouches. 
Hori products are quality in general, their cases are the shit as well as any tech they put out. 
Quote from: Travis on April 03, 2015, 10:52:52 PM
gotta eat the booty like groceries

Quote from: Travis on March 01, 2018, 08:44:39 PM
Quote from: reefer on March 01, 2018, 06:15:08 PM
Technology and globalism go hand and hand. If you want to be on the forefront of technology then you gotta be global

the earth is flat you globecuck

C.Mongler

reeper

Quote from: C.Mongler on November 06, 2018, 05:45:46 AMim gonna play smash with an xbox 360 controller
im playing it with the donkey konga controlls, no issues on my end

TooB

I'm gonna play it with the joy con in the steering wheel....

....and then with Labo.

bluaki

Quote from: 6M69I69B9 on November 05, 2018, 10:04:22 PMa wired connection reduces input lag
Are there any tests verifying the input lag for GameCube Adapter on Switch isn't as bad as a USB-connected Pro Controller?

Quote from: 6M69I69B9 on November 05, 2018, 10:04:22 PMThe ones marketed for Smash 4 and Ultimate are the same shit different icons.
There are some slight manufacturing differences between the Smash Bros controllers and original GameCube controllers. I believe the triggers feel different and there's some difference in how the sticks are designed. Most notably they have longer cables, at 3 meters instead of 2.

Quote from: 6M69I69B9 on November 05, 2018, 10:04:22 PM*new* 3DS XL: Hell, I don't know if they're going to offer an app that lets you play with your 3DS like they did with Smash 4, but if they do- DAMN playing with this one is underrated as Hell and the connectivity is actually GOOD from my experience @least.
They won't. Switch reportedly does not support the same type of direct local wireless communication used in the 3DS and Wii U.

Quote from: 6M69I69B9 on November 05, 2018, 10:04:22 PMAnyway, there is an official one being sold right now on Nintendo's site- Wii U's will even work, same shit.  Though, there are other alternatives if you want- and these are guaranteed to work with the Switch.
To be exact, any USB Ethernet adapter that internally uses the AX88772 (USB 2.0, 100Mbps) or AX88179 (USB 3.0, Gigabit) chipsets will work. I believe they're the two most common chipsets on the market, so there's a lot of options.

6M69I69B9

Quote from: 6M69I69B9 on November 05, 2018, 10:04:22 PMa wired connection reduces input lag
Are there any tests verifying the input lag for GameCube Adapter on Switch isn't as bad as a USB-connected Pro Controller?
None so far now that I've searched this up in depth.  I really wish there was a video on this- I'd do it myself but I don't want to buy a third Gamecube controller lol.

Yeah lol missed that part.
I will add this quote to the first post. 

Quote from: 6M69I69B9 on November 05, 2018, 10:04:22 PMAnyway, there is an official one being sold right now on Nintendo's site- Wii U's will even work, same shit.  Though, there are other alternatives if you want- and these are guaranteed to work with the Switch.
To be exact, any USB Ethernet adapter that internally uses the AX88772 (USB 2.0, 100Mbps) or AX88179 (USB 3.0, Gigabit) chipsets will work. I believe they're the two most common chipsets on the market, so there's a lot of options.
o
I bought two adapters and they both didn't work until I actually found out which ones specifically worked.  
Wanted to save anyone trouble who'd be in the same situation as me.  

Technology and globalism go hand and hand. If you want to be on the forefront of technology then you gotta be global

6M69I69B9

uhh lol from one study a WIRELESS switch pro controller did faster inputs than a gc controller
damn lol what

but it was a small sample, and the differences weren't that significant

god damn it why aren't there any TRUE formal tests?  god damn it

only thing is that if you;re really planning to use the switch pro controller, you gotta be cautious of wireless traffic
but that's only if you're in a tourney setting lol

hell i didnt know that was truly a thing until i searched up controller stuff

6M69I69B9

also i got a monitor from viewsonic for $99 that's pretty set-up standard
in the case i get to a tournament and no set ups are available

6M69I69B9

tfw thread is DEAD

anyway, so to update a bit on certain things:
- switch pro controller succumbs to latency when multiple are being used in the same enviro
less wireless traffic the better

also specifically about gc controllers, regarding 3rd party parts:
- z buttons cannot truly fit, you literally have to sand off both nubs so it actually fits
havent tried this personally yet but i am going to in the near future
- so, most 3rd party sticks actually have a deeper slot for the uhhh analog stick stump.  so to counteract this, ive been putting small pieces of paper/foil so the stick protrudes out better

had to dig this obscure information on how to actually have these guys fit properly
so just in case ppl get interested or smth

YPrrrr

Okay cool so it's not just me. If 4 people are playing I get horrible input lag. My friends think I'm just bitchin but it's really noticeable. Not as bad as joycons though my god they're terrible sometimes

6M69I69B9

Quote from: YPrrrr on October 21, 2019, 05:26:00 AMOkay cool so it's not just me. If 4 people are playing I get horrible input lag. My friends think I'm just bitchin but it's really noticeable. Not as bad as joycons though my god they're terrible sometimes
nope not just you
top tier players even have had experiences in the wild

Quote from: 6M69I69B9 on October 16, 2019, 09:49:24 PMtfw thread is DEAD

anyway, so to update a bit on certain things:
- switch pro controller succumbs to latency when multiple are being used in the same enviro
less wireless traffic the better

also specifically about gc controllers, regarding 3rd party parts:
- z buttons cannot truly fit, you literally have to sand off both nubs so it actually fits
havent tried this personally yet but i am going to in the near future
- so, most 3rd party sticks actually have a deeper slot for the uhhh analog stick stump.  so to counteract this, ive been putting small pieces of paper/foil so the stick protrudes out better

had to dig this obscure information on how to actually have these guys fit properly
so just in case ppl get interested or smth
coming back to this post, sanding off the nubs WORKS
also putting some paper in the slot for the analog stick to hoist it up works WONDERS

so fucking happy tbh
been playing slightly better with these small changes

now i can change up buttons and sticks with confidence knowing that the sticks wont sink in compared to the past, jesus

Go Up