March 28, 2024, 01:48:49 AM

1,531,609 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

How do you clean your keyboard?

Started by ME##, September 24, 2018, 08:40:30 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

ME##

So, I decided to clean my keyboard today because it was just disgusting and I'm still waiting for the keycaps to completely dry.  That was almost 12 hours ago. I thought about having the Arizona sun dry them, but then I thought it'd be more likely for them to melt than dry lol

Kalahari Inkantation

i use my dishwasher lol

yes, really

https://www.cultofmac.com/1625/its-official-keyboard-in-dishwasher-works-great/

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=11029793

this is a try-at-your-own-risk sort of thing but i've successfully used this method to clean two separate keyboards, and one of them has even survived several dishwashing cycles completely unharmed

and they always come out spotless and functioning as they should be, as far as i can tell

i wouldn't chuck any keyboard worth more than a few dozen dollars into a dishwasher, let alone one containing any fancy electronics (like displays or backlighting etc.), but for my cheap $20 keyboards this method has proven very effective and quite simple lol

of course, they must be 100% complete dry before any attempt to plug them in again, and as keyboards are full of nooks and crannies that takes no fewer than like 5 days

Thyme

strongbad

Wait until I spill something sticky on it and then hate myself and take all my keycaps off and clean with a qtip and rubbing alcohol. Often soak keycaps if they are bad

Happens once or twice a year

don't let's

I like to let the natural air and the bacteria on my hands cleanse it

Silverhawk79

I just turn it upside down and shake out the debris

ME##

Quote from: Snowy on October 14, 2018, 12:56:00 PMthis thread prompted me to pull apart my keyboard today and do  deep clean

10/10 results v glad I did
heck yea

Hiro

I need to deep clean my model m, it really needs it
generally i just wipe it down with a damp cloth

Go Up