March 28, 2024, 02:21:14 AM

1,531,609 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

how do you grill a cheese

Started by Kalahari Inkantation, October 17, 2018, 06:46:28 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Kalahari Inkantation

I have always been under the impression that the spread (butter or mayonnaise or whatever it may be) goes both on the outside and the inside of the sandwich. Recently a variety of sources have suggested this is wrong. befuddlement

YPrrrr

I thought it just went on the outside (butter)

Basically you just grease your pan with it

Thyme

my natural inclination would be to butter only the inside but i've done it both ways tbh

i do grease my pan tho

tho nowadays i just toast them and then butter the insides and stick a slice of kraft "cheese" in there girl;

YPrrrr

I definitely always made it the "redneck" way where you toast the bread, insert cheese, then microwave

Never used butter though, probably should have

Thyme

YPrrrr

October 17, 2018, 09:58:54 AM #5 Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 01:29:38 PM by YPrrrr
Quote from: Thyme on October 17, 2018, 09:53:58 AM
Quote from: YPrrrr on October 17, 2018, 09:51:57 AMthen microwave

...huh befuddlement
Yeah it's not very classy but it does successfully melt that cheese girl;

Mando Pandango

Why would you butter the inside? What's the point?
Quote from: Magyarorszag on August 22, 2018, 10:27:46 PMjesus absolute shitdicking christ, nu-boyah

strongbad

Quote from: Mandark on October 17, 2018, 01:22:43 PMWhy would you butter the inside? What's the point?
normal grilled cheese isn't fatty enough for you lol

also lol @ ypr

C.Mongler

u are buttering the outside to basically lightly fry it on the pan. the only reason to butter the inside is if u would like more butter on your cheese sammy lol

ME##

Mayonnaise on the outside, no butter on the inside

YPrrrr

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: Mandark on October 17, 2018, 01:22:43 PMWhy would you butter the inside? What's the point?

i just assumed that was the way it was done lol

and then one day i observed my mom making one and found it odd that she didn't butter the inside

that prompted me to look up some recipes online, and again i was surprised that most recipes i saw didn't call for buttering or mayonnaising the inside, although some do

But if I had to provide a logical reason as to "why", I would have guessed it's to allow the cheese to melt more evenly/smoothly. befuddlement

i'll have to try it without any interior spread one day and see if it makes a difference, i guess it's possible i've been pointlessly adding excess fat to my grilled cheese sandwiches all this time lol

don't let's

Wait, mayonnaise on grilled cheese? Wth?

Kalahari Inkantation

October 20, 2018, 09:53:13 AM #13 Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 10:00:00 AM by Magyarorszag
how i do it:

-a thin layer of butter on the inside of one slice and a thin layer of mayonnaise in the inside of the other
-a thin layer of butter on the outside of one slice and a thin layer of mayonnaise in the outside of the other
-cheese in between, usually a kraft slice or some other branded american processed cheese product plus ~an ounce of grated cheddar or some other harder meltable cheese

is this so wrong

i guess it does reveal me to be the fat animal i am, but i find this recipe consistently results in truly great grilled cheese sandwiches

Thyme

put some hot sauce in that bad boy

Go Up