March 28, 2024, 04:12:51 PM

1,531,609 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

WII REMOTE: Best controller, or glorified remote control?

Started by TooB, October 16, 2018, 01:21:26 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

C.Mongler

October 16, 2018, 04:23:46 PM #15 Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 04:29:40 PM by C.Mongler
isn't defensive assist just the button you hold to make the game play for you? i.e. you don't need to do anything else while doing it? that's what i'm talking about. menus, single button inputs, piss in a urinal buttons, etc

i don't know or care enough about madden 13 on wii u to really have this be the focus of any argument tbh so if that's your hail marry, sure

Quote from: YPrrrr on October 16, 2018, 03:08:33 PMDpad makes for terrible buttons. Especially since if you press one direction you are locked out of the other 3 buttons it can represent. Ie cant press left and right at the same time
which is why it's perfect for, again, single input situations where you don't need to press a conglomerate of buttons at the same time. which again, is how it is used. and pretty much has always been used ever since we went from using dpads to analog sticks; single-input secondary commands.

it seems like the crux of your argument is the wii remote doesn't allow you to simultaneously manage 6+ button inputs at a time which, thank god that sounds fucking atrocious

TooB

Quote from: C.Mongler on October 16, 2018, 01:28:43 PMalso re:thread

all video game controllers are glorified remote controls what the hell

Fine....

"Glorified TV remote."

Geez. So picky

YPrrrr

Quote from: C.Mongler on October 16, 2018, 04:23:46 PMisn't defensive assist just the button you hold to make the game play for you? i.e. you don't need to do anything else while doing it? that's what i'm talking about. menus, single button inputs, piss in a urinal buttons, etc

i don't know or care enough about madden 13 on wii u to really have this be the focus of any argument tbh so if that's your hail marry, sure

Quote from: YPrrrr on October 16, 2018, 03:08:33 PMDpad makes for terrible buttons. Especially since if you press one direction you are locked out of the other 3 buttons it can represent. Ie cant press left and right at the same time
which is why it's perfect for, again, single input situations where you don't need to press a conglomerate of buttons at the same time. which again, is how it is used. and pretty much has always been used ever since we went from using dpads to analog sticks; single-input secondary commands.

it seems like the crux of your argument is the wii remote doesn't allow you to simultaneously manage 6+ button inputs at a time which, thank god that sounds fucking atrocious
dont need 6+ button combos, what you need is the option to do a 2 button combo. Which you can't do if those two controls are both mapped to the dpad. Speaking of button combos, that aforementioned pressing of C + a dpad direction. You dont have to do that on any other console in that console generation. It's terrible.

Wii Remote does every input outside of motion controls worse than every controller in its console generation and the previous generation

Kalahari Inkantation

November 04, 2018, 04:54:25 PM #18 Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 05:06:02 PM by Magyarorszag
i think the wii remote/nunchuck could have been improved with a few additional inputs, but it's rare that i ever truly felt it was missing something because there's no shortage of good wii games that are well optimized for the wii remote

sure i suppose there's no reason it couldn't have had a traditional abxy layout and another thumbstick and 4 triggers but what you lose in button inputs you gain in motion controls, which was the whole point

it did an extremely effective job at demonstrating the utility of motion controls in games, and it's comfortable, and the fact that your hands can be separated is a huge advantage

it's not at all "in the n64 tier of controllers" because it doesn't completely cuck itself out of being utilized to its full potential the way the n64 controller does, the 1 and 2 buttons are still accessible on the rare occasion they're needed, and they're a lot less important than a whole d-pad and shoulder button in the first place

i genuinely like the wii remote/nunchuck and feel that with some (heavy) modifications, that concept could potentially be the ideal input method for games

i would love to see an updated version of it with a slightly adjusted layout and a more complete set of inputs in the future but that's probably never happening lol, i'm STILL mourning over the fact that it's not supported in smash ultimate

YPrrrr

I still don't know how you're supposed to hit the 1 and 2 buttons holding it like this (unless you change your entire hand position):

C.Mongler

C.Mongler

also john just made this as a bait thread to get me and ypr to argue anyway, mods lock this shit

YPrrrr

Quote from: C.Mongler on November 05, 2018, 06:39:29 AM
move my thumb 180 degrees from a thumbs up, can you? Because I can move it 90 degrees from thumbs up position which won't hit the 1 and 2 buttons which are at least 120 degrees

Means opposable to the other fingers btw has nothing to do with range of motion

YPrrrr

Unless the 1 and 2 buttons are meant to be pressed with the fat part of your palm under your thumb ofc like in the pic

C.Mongler

I'm replying to this post on my iPhone using the exact hand motion required to press 1 and/or 2

Checkmate atheists 

C.Mongler

Also stop bumping this bait shit

I like Wii
YPR do not

That's it, that's the conclusion go home everyone

TooB

Quote from: C.Mongler on November 05, 2018, 06:40:00 AMalso john just made this as a bait thread to get me and ypr to argue anyway, mods lock this shit

Did Not. F U.

This is legitimate discussion

Tec has his thoughts too

YPrrrr

Quote from: Big Goop on November 05, 2018, 09:04:35 AM
Quote from: C.Mongler on November 05, 2018, 06:40:00 AMalso john just made this as a bait thread to get me and ypr to argue anyway, mods lock this shit

Did Not. F U.

Tec has his thoughts too
Tec thoughts don't count as legitimate discussion they're just post bait baddood;

TooB

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: YPrrrr on November 05, 2018, 09:34:47 AM
Quote from: Big Goop on November 05, 2018, 09:04:35 AM

Did Not. F U.

Tec has his thoughts too
Tec thoughts don't count as legitimate discussion they're just post bait baddood;

It's not my fault if you interpret posts that aren't meant to be bait as bait. :spartan:

Go Up