March 28, 2024, 08:40:28 AM

1,531,609 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

WII REMOTE: Best controller, or glorified remote control?

Started by TooB, October 16, 2018, 01:21:26 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

TooB

C.Mongler

Quote from: Big Goop on October 16, 2018, 01:20:01 PMThey feel cheaper than a fisher price toy and have a terrible feedback when pressed.
this is a hilarious argument in the context of the joycons tbh

C.Mongler

also again YPR, i need an example of a game that requires heavy use of the 1 and 2 button in the heat of action because i cant think of one doodhuh; yes it's not a comfortable maneuver but you can do it by strengthening your grip on the back of the wiimote and moving your thumb backwards, hence why it's fine for secondary actions

but im also arguing with a guy who thinks the wii has like 2 actual games and then 1000 variations of imagine babies so i dont know what this thread hopes to accomplish lol

C.Mongler

also re:thread

all video game controllers are glorified remote controls what the hell

YPrrrr

Quote from: C.Mongler on October 16, 2018, 01:28:19 PMalso again YPR, i need an example of a game that requires heavy use of the 1 and 2 button in the heat of action because i cant think of one doodhuh; yes it's not a comfortable maneuver but you can do it by strengthening your grip on the back of the wiimote and moving your thumb backwards, hence why it's fine for secondary actions

but im also arguing with a guy who thinks the wii has like 2 actual games and then 1000 variations of imagine babies so i dont know what this thread hopes to accomplish lol

ts games

That's bad design and why it's in the N64 tier of controllers

I mean yeah pretty much. SSBB, Mario Galaxy 1 & 2... that's about it.

YPrrrr

Quote from: C.Mongler on October 16, 2018, 01:24:51 PM
Quote from: Big Goop on October 16, 2018, 01:20:01 PMThey feel cheaper than a fisher price toy and have a terrible feedback when pressed.
this is a hilarious argument in the context of the joycons tbh
Nunchuk is cheapest feeling device Nintendo has ever produce come @ me

C.Mongler

Quote from: YPrrrr on October 16, 2018, 01:35:48 PM
Quote from: C.Mongler on October 16, 2018, 01:28:19 PMalso again YPR, i need an example of a game that requires heavy use of the 1 and 2 button in the heat of action because i cant think of one doodhuh; yes it's not a comfortable maneuver but you can do it by strengthening your grip on the back of the wiimote and moving your thumb backwards, hence why it's fine for secondary actions

Sports games

huh? 98% of sports games just used motion controls

C.Mongler

the n64 controller is designed so the dpad and left trigger are completely inaccessible (or the analog stick and z-trigger if your hand is on the leftmost tri-wing thing) without completely removing your hand from the controller and repositioning it.

this is not a problem the wiimote has. 1 and 2 are awkward sure, but not inaccessible, and it's at the cost for alternative controller configurations.

YPrrrr

Quote from: C.Mongler on October 16, 2018, 02:33:56 PM
Quote from: YPrrrr on October 16, 2018, 01:35:48 PM

Sports games

huh? 98% of sports games just used motion controls
e casual sports games? Look:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://eaassets-a.akamaihd.net/eahelp/manuals/madden-13-wii-manual_Nintendo%2520Wii.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiAvKfZ9oveAhVRulMKHXYJAG4QFjAAegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw0Jaz-qHLHBqk_aF0b1aGHn

YPrrrr

Even with half the N64 controller being inaccessible you still have A, B, Z, R, 4 Cbuttons accessible. 8 buttons

Wii gives you A, B, C, Z... are we going to count the D pad? And 1 and 2 are not convenient at all. It's a giant step backwards.

And honestly it should just be much better. It's two generations removed. Even if it were marginally better than the N64 it would still be worse imo because it had an extra decade to improve

C.Mongler

your example is a wii u game where 1 is used only as...a secondary input? you're not doing that shit in the heat of the moment lol i'm talking stuff where you are forced to use 1 and 2 as buttons as quick reaction inputs, like if 1 was used to use your item or something

and yes why wouldn't you count the dpad? they are button switches. 1 and 2 are accessible, not inconvenient. going to whole foods instead of safeway is inconvenient, having the shift your thumb and grip harder is not.

then you also have IR and swing motions, which have their own individual left, right, up, down, forward and backwards recognition. then tilt which recognizes forward, back, left, and right. and then everyone's favorite, shake.

C.Mongler

also all of this doesn't even account for the fact that nintendo designed the damn console with input backwards compatibility in mind for the whiners anyway AND released 2 iterations of standard controller attachments for the wiimote too. you had options, for the games that supported it. for the games that didn't it largely was a non issue because they had a motion gimmick or lack of a need for 22+ inputs anyway

YPrrrr

Quote from: C.Mongler on October 16, 2018, 03:01:14 PMyour example is a wii u game where 1 is used only as...a secondary input? you're not doing that shit in the heat of the moment lol i'm talking stuff where you are forced to use 1 and 2 as buttons as quick reaction inputs, like if 1 was used to use your item or something

and yes why wouldn't you count the dpad? they are button switches. 1 and 2 are accessible, not inconvenient. going to whole foods instead of safeway is inconvenient, having the shift your thumb and grip harder is not.

then you also have IR and swing motions, which have their own individual left, right, up, down, forward and backwards recognition. then tilt which recognizes forward, back, left, and right. and then everyone's favorite, shake.
You use defensive assist like every play it's not a secondary input. Also do you see that shit where you have to hold the C button and then use D pad inputs? It's fuckin terrible.

Dpad makes for terrible buttons. Especially since if you press one direction you are locked out of the other 3 buttons it can represent. Ie cant press left and right at the same time

I'm not including motion controls (which are usually bad anyway without the add on)

YPrrrr

Yeah and thank god if I couldn't use a different type of controller I wouldnt have even bothered with Smash

strongbad

i think that the wii mote was great if used sideways and if the game was optimized around using only dpad and 1 + 2

Go Up