March 27, 2024, 11:17:03 PM

1,531,609 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

WII REMOTE: Best controller, or glorified remote control?

Started by TooB, October 16, 2018, 01:21:26 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

YPrrrr

Quote from: Magyarorszag on November 22, 2018, 05:53:48 AM
Quote from: YPrrrr on November 05, 2018, 09:34:47 AM
Quote from: Big Goop on November 05, 2018, 09:04:35 AM
Quote from: C.Mongler on November 05, 2018, 06:40:00 AMalso john just made this as a bait thread to get me and ypr to argue anyway, mods lock this shit

Did Not. F U.

This is legitimate discussion

Tec has his thoughts too
Tec thoughts don't count as legitimate discussion they're just post bait baddood;

It's not my fault if you interpret posts that aren't meant to be bait as bait. :spartan:
^bait^

TooB

Quote from: YPrrrr on November 22, 2018, 10:17:32 AM
Quote from: Magyarorszag on November 22, 2018, 05:53:48 AM
Quote from: YPrrrr on November 05, 2018, 09:34:47 AM
Quote from: Big Goop on November 05, 2018, 09:04:35 AM
Quote from: C.Mongler on November 05, 2018, 06:40:00 AMalso john just made this as a bait thread to get me and ypr to argue anyway, mods lock this shit

Did Not. F U.

This is legitimate discussion

Tec has his thoughts too
Tec thoughts don't count as legitimate discussion they're just post bait baddood;

It's not my fault if you interpret posts that aren't meant to be bait as bait. :spartan:
t^
^bait^

bluaki

QuoteBest controller or glorified remote control?
It's absolutely not either of these.

I'd say it's a poor-to-okay controller and not at all like a standard TV remote.

its one redeeming feature is the pointer, but not many of the Wii games I've played make it feel like the pointer feels like an actual feature rather than a burden: Trauma Center, World of Goo, and Pikmin. Super Mario Galaxy, for example, would've been better off on a normal controller without star bits, pointer, or waggle imo.

For aiming, I prefer gyro-assisted stick controls like Splatoon and BotW have over a Wiimote-style pointer, and for other general pointer uses I'll admit one-handed controllers work better but I still prefer the gyro-based one Switch uses in games like TWEWY, Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee (for petting), Captain Toad, World of Goo, etc.

Even though I just cited gyro in other controllers, I can't think of any Wii games where I actually like accelerometer or Wii Motion Plus gyro controls. Usually it's just a waggle mapped to what should be a button press but the game ran out of buttons or something.

The most obvious examples of the Wii Remote being the wrong tool for the job is all the games that rely on a single horizontal Wii Remote to act as somehow an even less comfortable version of the NES controller, and often they don't even let you use a Nunchuk or Classic Controller as an option. iirc both Wii Kirby games, New SMB Wii, and Super Paper Mario all did this. I think even some Wii U games did this for multiplayer. I would feel the same way about Switch's single horizontal Joy-Con but thankfully at least in the games I know about it's only treated as an option and not forced onto you.

Wii Remote has awful battery life and eats through AAs like kirby eats through everything that gets in his way while competing with Sony's rechargeable controllers and Nintendo's own Wii U Pro Controller.

TooB

Go Up