April 24, 2024, 02:57:03 AM

1,531,645 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

NEW SWITCH MODEL, 2ND HALF OF 2019...LMaO

Started by 6M69I69B9, October 03, 2018, 10:23:21 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

don't let's

October 05, 2018, 08:17:37 PM #15 Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 09:02:54 PM by don't let's
Also, you could say starting with the game boy pocket

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_Boy_family#History

Or with the play it loud campaign

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_Boy#Play_It_Loud!

Kalahari Inkantation

October 05, 2018, 08:52:41 PM #16 Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 08:59:39 PM by Magyarorszag
Quote from: C.Mongler on October 04, 2018, 05:24:48 AMdocked performance in handheld mode

But how could they achieve this without an updated processor? befuddlement

or an enormous battery upgrade i guess lol

Quote from: bluaki on October 03, 2018, 11:03:09 PM
Quote from: Nyerp on October 03, 2018, 10:48:27 PMif it's like the new 3ds and has exclusive games then i'm selling my switch
This is too soon for that kind of half-gen step. Expect something more like a 2DS/Lite/Micro/whatever.

the tegra x2 really isn't that much of an upgrade from the x1

it's barely over ~40% superior, which isn't nearly enough to be a "half-gen step": the ps4 pro('s gpu) is 2.333x as powerful as the ps4, for example, and the xbox one x is 4.666x the xbox one

and that's not even considering their cpus, which also got a boost

the tegra x2, meanwhile, is 1.46x the x1, which is nothing compared to the scale of the ps4 and xbox one upgrades

in fact a 1.46x improvement would basically be right in line with the new 3ds compared to the 3ds

in addition to and perhaps more importantly than that (measly) ~40% performance boost, the tegra x2 does have the same or even lower power requirements as the x1, and those enhancements combined mean it likely could at the very least allow for docked performance in handheld mode, without a battery life penalty, and without at all breaking the current switch's compatibility with future games

really, the only reason for them to forgo the tegra x2 again would be the harm it might do to their profit margins

also the ps4 pro came out 2 years and 10 months after the ps4's initial launch, so a mid-step upgrade around that time wouldn't be unprecedented within the industry at least, but again the x2 wouldn't be anything near a half-gen upgrade from the tegra x1 lol

Quote from: bluaki on October 04, 2018, 09:29:13 AMI've been saying for a while that the handheld market is really what they need to focus on, especially by the time pokemon gen8 releases, in terms of factors like mostly price but also battery life and durability. There's a reason they're taking so long to phase out the 3DS line. Some changes this might include are:
* Like the leak suggests, a different type of panel that draws less power, possibly having better brightness/contrast too but still 720p at most. They might even lower the resolution.
* Non-removable controls. It'd probably still support (sold separately) Joy-Cons wirelessly, but can't attach them.
* Take out the dock too to lower the price some more, maybe sell it separately.
* A bootloader that isn't so easy to hack

Quote from: SloppyJimbo on October 04, 2018, 07:27:26 PMMaybe a smaller screen/more pocketable version?

i would welcome these changes +tegra x2 so long as it still had uncompromised hdmi out, but the switch is still allegedly a home console and i'd be surprised if nintendo abandons that marketing angle as soon as next year

it would be very hard to deny that a switch revision like this is simply a portable with hdmi out

which, i mean, it is, but the dock obfuscates that so that they can still call it a hybrid

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: don't let's on October 05, 2018, 08:17:37 PMAlso, you could say starting with the game boy pocket

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_Boy_family#History

Or with the play it loud campaign

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_Boy#Play_It_Loud!

true, i had forgotten that even the original gameboy got remodels, so it arguably goes back even further than the advance

the unbroken biennial pattern however does begin with the advance lol

Go Up