April 18, 2024, 01:54:07 AM

1,531,643 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Bloodborne vs. Souls series

Started by Juice_Campbell, September 28, 2018, 07:23:27 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Juice_Campbell

I've played every game in the Dark Souls series. I just bought Bloodborne for $5 at a secondhand game store, probably won't play it anytime soon.

But I'm wondering what I'm in for. It's obviously gonna be difficult. But how does the difficulty hold up to the Souls games? Is it even a little more casual than the Souls games?

This time last year I was playing Salt and Sanctuary and loved it as much as any Dark Souls game. It had something that I feel those games lacked. I'm hoping Bloodborne is the same.

Also, does anyone here enjoy Bloodborne BETTER than the Dark Souls series?

Samus Aran

It's not more casual at all. In some ways, BB is harder. In other ways, it's easier. It's simply a different take on Souls.

I think that Bloodborne is better than Souls overall. It's similar enough that you can enjoy it as "another Souls game," but different and fresh enough to keep it from being stale at all. I honestly think it has a better combat system, with the movement speed and parry style being ridiculously satisfying. It's also got better art direction and yes, even better music imo. I think the bosses are also cooler. So is the story, but be aware it's just as cryptic as Souls (and even more nonsensical).

Multiplayer though is where BB falls short. The Souls series has a much better approach to multiplayer. PVP feels dull and the lack of weapon variety really hurts it even if it doesn't hurt the main PVE game.

The "gimmick" of BB, the totally optional chalice dungeons...are hit or miss. You can honestly ignore them if you want, but there are a couple bosses unique to it and they're a fun side thing to do. Err...mostly fun. They can be pretty damn repetitive after a while, and the half health "defiled" dungeons are a pain.

Basically BB is the really cool, fresh, super stylish version of Souls. If you love Souls, you'll love BB. Whether you like it more or less probably doesn't matter much.

Nyerp

September 28, 2018, 07:45:26 PM #2 Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 07:49:14 PM by Nyerp
Quote from: Juice_Campbell on September 28, 2018, 07:23:27 PMBut I'm wondering what I'm in for. It's obviously gonna be difficult. But how does the difficulty hold up to the Souls games? Is it even a little more casual than the Souls games?

the way i see it, bloodborne's difficulty depends on your playstyle in the dark souls games. if you preferred to hold your shield up and slowly poke your way through every encounter in dark souls, adapting to bloodborne's anti-blocking, dodge-focused nature is going to be a hurdle. but if you liked to use dexterity-based weapons and ignored shields previously, you're probably going to have a smoother transition. if you got through souls with magic then FUCK YOU LOL

bloodborne's healing system is a strange mixture of dark souls' and demon's souls' systems where heals are practically infinite, but you're only allowed to carry 20+ at once. i say 'only,' but this allows for plenty of mistakes. however, this also means you unfortunately might to have to farm for them if you get stuck on a boss. it's a mixed bag where good players are going to have far more heals than they're ever going to use, and bad players will find themselves just scraping by

personally, i feel that the boss fights are harder on average than pretty much every previous souls game (not counting 3, which came later and was heavily uh..."influenced" by bloodborne)

Juice_Campbell

Quote from: Nyerp on September 28, 2018, 07:45:26 PM
Quote from: Juice_Campbell on September 28, 2018, 07:23:27 PMBut I'm wondering what I'm in for. It's obviously gonna be difficult. But how does the difficulty hold up to the Souls games? Is it even a little more casual than the Souls games?

the way i see it, bloodborne's difficulty depends on your playstyle in the dark souls games. if you preferred to hold your shield up and slowly poke your way through every encounter in dark souls, adapting to bloodborne's anti-blocking, dodge-focused nature is going to be a hurdle. but if you liked to use dexterity-based weapons and ignored shields previously, you're probably going to have a smoother transition. if you got through souls with magic then FUCK YOU LOL

bloodborne's healing system is a strange mixture of dark souls' and demon's souls' systems where heals are practically infinite, but you're only allowed to carry 20+ at once. i say 'only,' but this allows for plenty of mistakes. however, this also means you unfortunately might to have to farm for them if you get stuck on a boss. it's a mixed bag where good players are going to have far more heals than they're ever going to use, and bad players will find themselves just scraping by

personally, i feel that the boss fights are harder on average than pretty much every previous souls game
. The general consensus is that it's harder than Dark Souls? Well, I'm still all in.

I generally ran a dexterity based build in Dark Souls. I've always been partial to tanky characters and in the first Dark Souls, I was able to successfully create a heavy hitting, heavily armored tank that was still able to dodge and run around. I still heavily relied on my shield and never got the hang of parrying.

Otherwise, I'm really looking forward to playing it, whenever my girlfriend gives up her reign over the PS4.

strongbad

U know I think I'd love dark souls games since I love geniunely hard games (roguelike/shmups/competitive games) but something about the 3d and seemingly sluggish combat turns me off

Should I give it more tries

Samus Aran

Quote from: antmaster5000 on September 28, 2018, 08:05:56 PMseemingly sluggish combat

play bloodborne then, it's fast souls

also, "seemingly" indeed, because souls combat isn't sluggish so much as it's just very deliberate

strongbad

Oh cool maybe I'd like it

Yeah watching people who are good at the game it looks fluid it's just when Ive tried it I've felt like I'm moving through mud

Samus Aran

yeah it's just like, really knowing your weapon's moveset and having good stamina management and not using equipment that's too heavy

Go Up