April 16, 2024, 09:05:30 AM

1,531,643 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

PotD: The headphone jack

Started by Kalahari Inkantation, September 25, 2018, 11:12:38 PM

previous topic - next topic

I miss the headphone jack.
1 (12.5%)
I do not miss the headphone jack.
0 (0%)
I still have a headphone jack, but I will likely miss it upon """upgrading""" to a new device.
6 (75%)
I still have a headphone jack, but I will likely not miss it upon """upgrading""" to a new device.
1 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Go Down

Kalahari Inkantation

Has there been any benefit at all, for the end shitph*ne user, to the forceful deprecation of the headphone jack? befuddlement

ME##

Imo it's okay if the archaic headphone jack is phased out, if it is still it's own port.  

bluaki

I tried playing Love Live once with bluetooth earphones and, without exaggeration, it was literally unplayable. awdood;

something about having BT audio connected confused the game to such a point that the notes were going a tiny fraction of the speed they're supposed to, so if I actually played through until the song ended it'd only hit like 20 notes and then the rest of the notes for the entire song would zoom across the screen in less than a second.

All the bluetooth stuff I've tried has pretty awful latency, so even putting aside weird bugs, BT absolutely isn't a full replacement for wired for any kind of real-time or game use-case, especially anything with sound cues. Then again, I've seen a lot of people play rhythm games at master difficulty on mute so maybe it's not that critical.

I tend to stick with bluetooth and almost never use the headphone jack on my phone (and I mostly use the built-in speakers for games since I just play at home when alone), but I still hate the idea of taking it away for seemingly no reason.

Quote from: Magyarorszag on September 25, 2018, 11:12:38 PMHas there been any benefit at all, for the end shitph*ne user, to the forceful deprecation of the headphone jack? befuddlement
Supposedly the forced deprecation of the headphone jack was going to push forward drastic improvements in bluetooth implementations but it looks like that hasn't happened sillydood;

It's actually surprising just how poorly made they've managed to make most USB headphone adapters too.

reeper

I'd rather my iPhone 7 Plus to have a headphone jack, however the BeatsX headphones are some of my favorite headphones I've ever had. I never knew how annoying it is to have the wire from my head to my phone is until I got wireless headphones.

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: David on September 26, 2018, 10:36:11 AMImo it's okay if the archaic headphone jack is phased out, if it is still it's own port.  

What do you mean? befuddlement

Quote from: bluaki on September 26, 2018, 11:38:51 AMI tried playing Love Live once with bluetooth earphones and, without exaggeration, it was literally unplayable. awdood;

lmao wow

Have they made any attempt to fix it? They really don't have a choice but to, phones with headphone jacks are only going to become less common. myface;

Quote from: bluaki on September 26, 2018, 11:38:51 AMAll the bluetooth stuff I've tried has pretty awful latency, so even putting aside weird bugs, BT absolutely isn't a full replacement for wired for any kind of real-time or game use-case, especially anything with sound cues. Then again, I've seen a lot of people play rhythm games at master difficulty on mute so maybe it's not that critical.

Supposedly the forced deprecation of the headphone jack was going to push forward drastic improvements in bluetooth implementations but it looks like that hasn't happened sillydood;

It's actually surprising just how poorly made they've managed to make most USB headphone adapters too.

this is by far my biggest frustration with the industry's bloody murder of the jack: both of the technologies that are meant to supplant it (bluetooth and usb audio) are objectively inferior awdood;

bluetooth is physically incapable of matching wired audio quality, induces latency, is notorious for being unstable, and perhaps worst of all, requires you to recharge your headphones ugly;

and despite all those glaring faults bluetooth headphones are an order of magnitude more expensive than wired ones

and usb audio isn't at all standardized so headphones and adapters may work on one device but malfunction or not work at all on another, and also introduces an avenue for oems and software developers to implement audio drm

it's been over two years since apple buried the headphone jack alive and these remain problems to date

and i don't see either of these sets of issues being resolved anytime soon awdood;

strongbad

i used to have bluetooth headphones and i loved them. lost them when i was on lsd on a bike tour and haven't had another pair since. i dont mind normal 3.5mm headphones but i prefer bluetooth and am not really that salty over phones getting rid of the headphone jack since it would just force me to use bluetooth which i would like better anyway lol

Kalahari Inkantation

i can definitely see the value in wireless headphones for use during physical activity but that's probably about the only time i'd prefer bluetooth headphones to wired ones

in any case, there's absolutely no valid excuse for phones not supporting both :'(

strongbad

Quote from: Magyarorszag on November 02, 2018, 10:08:04 PMi can definitely see the value in wireless headphones for use during physical activity but that's probably about the only time i'd prefer bluetooth headphones to wired ones

in any case, there's absolutely no valid excuse for phones not supporting both :'(
cheaper to manufacturer?

Kalahari Inkantation

i'm sure that's technically true but incorporating a headphone jack is probably not even 2% of the cost of designing and manufacturing a phone lol

and if cost were the issue there are plenty of other features they could cut

Go Up