March 28, 2024, 11:25:53 AM

1,531,609 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Of Mice and Men

Started by Kalahari Inkantation, November 02, 2018, 09:59:13 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Kalahari Inkantation

November 02, 2018, 09:59:13 PM Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 11:19:52 PM by Magyarorszag
What mouse do you use, Boyah? O_0

i recently upgraded from an old wireless mouse with just 8 buttons to a wired one with 11, lol

in between those two i briefly used one with a mere 7 buttons and oh my god you couldn't imagine how much that one extra button matters

and having used a mouse with 8 buttons for years it's now practically impossible to go back to a standard 3-function mouse, you need a minimum of 7 to browse the web efficiently

forgive me for shilling but

https://www.logitechg.com/en-us/products/gaming-mice/g502-hero-gaming-mouse.html

and now for the single most efficient mouse configuration for web browsing of all time:

left/right/middle click keep default functions
left scroll wheel: move one tab to the left
right scroll wheel: move one tab to the right
forward and back for the two pointer finger buttons to the left of left click
close tab for the thumb button in front
refresh for the thumb button in the back
and the third thumb button just below is set to open the task viewer (not the task manager, but the task viewer, windows key + tab)

it even has profiles for different programs/games lol, though i have yet to really take advantage of that feature

and then i have another newer (wireless) mouse

https://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/m720-triathlon

that has 8 buttons and 4 gestures lol, configured similarly but with gestures in place of some buttons

having so many functions accessible at all times instantaneously by one hand saves a huge amount of time/energy/frustration and massively streamlines the web browsing experience lol, especially for someone like me who seriously abuses tabs

Thyme

bluaki

A couple months ago I upgraded to a Logitech MX Master 2S. It's nice. The dual-mode scroll wheel helps a lot, since the second mode makes it really easy to scroll very long distances quickly, and modern web development is absolutely abysmal about misusing scrolling (try browsing Apple's Mac Mini page on a normal scrollwheel for example) and also I scroll a ton on Tumblr and Twitter.

Before this, I was using Logitech's M510. Other than the scroll wheel there's not a whole lot I care about in this upgrade. MX Master has a rechargeable battery built-in, but it seems to drain quickly enough that I find myself recharging it once every week or two (at least I can use it like a wired mouse while it's charging). M510 uses AA batteries, but my NiMH rechargeable batteries seemed to last months between charges and I only found myself swapping them out to the charger like 2-4 times a year. MX Master has a better optical sensor that works on more surfaces, but I use a mousepad anyway, and any increased resolution isn't much use without a sensitivity toggle button.

Hiro

I love this thing even though it's a "portable mouse" and it's really simple it just feels right

Go Up