April 19, 2024, 05:13:44 AM

1,531,643 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

PotD: What's your primary desktop OS?

Started by Kalahari Inkantation, September 24, 2018, 04:40:44 PM

previous topic - next topic

y/n

Windows
9 (90%)
MacOS
0 (0%)
Linux & Friends (including Chrome OS)
1 (10%)
Other
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Go Down

Kalahari Inkantation

September 24, 2018, 04:40:44 PM Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 04:45:54 PM by Magyarorszag

don't let's

YPrrrr

ME##

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

C.Mongler

bluaki

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

but seriously I guess I'm the only desktop linux user here. I switch to Windows less than once a year on average probably.

strongbad

@bluaki

Yes but everyone calls it Linux and it also rolls off the tongue much better than GNU/Linux. I think that outside of circles of Linux nerds it doesn't make much of a difference for people's understanding anyway

Mando Pandango

Quote from: Magyarorszag on August 22, 2018, 10:27:46 PMjesus absolute shitdicking christ, nu-boyah

ClassicTyler

bluaki

September 25, 2018, 12:24:52 PM #10 Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 12:32:56 PM by bluaki
Quote from: antmaster5000 on September 25, 2018, 10:40:55 AM@bluaki

Yes but everyone calls it Linux and it also rolls off the tongue much better than GNU/Linux. I think that outside of circles of Linux nerds it doesn't make much of a difference for people's understanding anyway
I was just joking, I don't actually call it "GNU/Linux" myself. That's just a popular copypasta.

Here's something that's not copypasta: I think using "GNU/Linux" instead of just "Linux" is actually somewhat more misleading. In practice, the whole "GNU" part of the system doesn't matter that much to the end user experience. You can use a different shell than bash, you can use some other coreutils like busybox, you can use some other compiler like LLVM, etc, and none of those changes actually affects your desktop experience at all unless you mess with terminal stuff. If someone wants to be pedantic, a specific description of the components that affect UX the most for a particular system would be something more like "X11/KDE/systemd/dpkg/Linux". Or just call it "Ubuntu" or "Kubuntu" or "Debian" or whatever. Some people like to use "GNU/Linux" to distinguish desktop and server Linux from Android and other flavors of embedded Linux while collectively referring to RedHat/Debian/Ubuntu/etc, but really just calling it "Desktop Linux" is both more descriptive and easier to understand.

strongbad

O I'm a tool u got me lol
I think you have about 100x the GNU/Linux knowledge that I do lol

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: bluaki on September 25, 2018, 09:02:42 AMI'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

but seriously I guess I'm the only desktop linux user here. I switch to Windows less than once a year on average probably.

lol goowan

Quote from: Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo on September 24, 2018, 10:16:48 PMwindows 8

w-why myface;

Quote from: C.Mongler on September 25, 2018, 06:23:25 AMWindows 10 at home, 7 at work

ballmer in the streets, nadella in the sheets cmongler;

honestly i can't believe there are so many windows plebs on boyah of all places

justify you'reself's

and what happened to all our mac users wry

C.Mongler

I can't play forza horizon 3 on anything else

That's really about it

don't let's

Quote from: Magyarorszag on September 25, 2018, 02:28:03 PM
Quote from: bluaki on September 25, 2018, 09:02:42 AMI'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

lol goowan

Quote from: Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo on September 24, 2018, 10:16:48 PMwindows 8

w-why myface;

Quote from: C.Mongler on September 25, 2018, 06:23:25 AMWindows 10 at home, 7 at work

ballmer in the streets, nadella in the sheets cmongler;

honestly i can't believe there are so many windows plebs on boyah of all places

justify you'reself's

and what happened to all our mac users wry

Mac is the devil's sperm bank

Go Up