March 28, 2024, 02:24:50 AM

1,531,609 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

PlayStation Classic Mini

Started by TooB, September 18, 2018, 11:47:24 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

C.Mongler

lol what a weird fucking tease of games.

$100 is way too steep for 20 games i probably already own on PSN that I can't play on anything except my vita or ole' ps3.

that said if it gets hacked like the NES & SNES I'll probably pick one up eventually lol. it's been kinda fun to have a little game box that i could load up with 60 games and bring over to my buddies house to play.

Quote from: bluaki on September 19, 2018, 12:01:41 AMso maybe it might be compatible with a DS3 or DS4 for analog input.
i hope this ends up being the case saddood;

TooB

Tbh, the hacking is also what i hope for the most.

bluaki

You can't really count on these devices being easy to hack. Nintendo Europe (or whoever developed them) just sucks at locking down devices.

If Nintendo only removed the data pins from the microUSB connector, making it power-only, the NES and SNES Classic systems would both be basically unhackable without hardware modding that probably involves soldering and swapping out PCB parts. If Sony does that, there's a bit more attack surface through the controller ports if those aren't locked down enough, otherwise there wouldn't be any viable user-friendly hacking options. Maybe it's possible for both a preloaded game and the emulator itself to be exploitable enough for full memory or filesystem access, like maybe enough to make the system recognize, mount, and copy files off a USB flashdrive, but even if that's possible it'd take hundreds of precise controller inputs so you'd need something like a USB Rubber Ducky or Teensy to simulate those inputs.

C.Mongler

don't kill my dreams with all that logical techno mumbo jumbo i wanna play as my boy squall

TooB

Quote from: C.Mongler on September 19, 2018, 07:38:45 PMdon't kill my dreams with all that logical techno mumbo jumbo i wanna play as my boy squall

Samus Aran

bluaki

Quote from: bluaki on September 19, 2018, 12:01:41 AMIt looks like they thankfully went with normal USB ports for these controllers, so maybe it might be compatible with a DS3 or DS4 for analog input.
IGN asked Sony about this in an interview. It isn't.
http://ign.com/articles/2018/09/22/playstation-classic-will-support-smartphone-ac-usb-adaptors-will-not-support-other-ps-peripherals

QuoteAsked about whether other controllers, including those like the DualShock 4, could be connected via the USB ports to also function as controllers, the PlayStation spokesperson said "Peripherals for the original PlayStation or later platforms are not supported on PlayStation Classic, which is designed to work with the bundled controllers."

Even Nintendo didn't screw this up that bad. You can use all existing Wii Classic Controllers with the NES Classic and SNES Classic.

TooB

its ok tho.
ninty screwed up a lot of other things.
let them have the mini system victory

bluaki

I forgot this was even happening until seeing the articles today that they've finally announced the full library

Last month, they mentioned only 5 of the 20 games:
  • Final Fantasy VII
  • Jumping Flash!
  • Ridge Racer Type 4
  • Tekken 3
  • Wild Arms

Today, they announced the remaining 15:
  • Battle Arena Toshinden
  • Cool Boarders 2
  • Destruction Derby
  • Grand Theft Auto
  • Intelligent Qube
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • Mr. Driller
  • Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee
  • Rayman
  • Resident Evil (Director's Cut)
  • Revelations: Persona
  • Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
  • Syphon Filter
  • Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six
  • Twisted Metal

it's about as underwhelming of a library as I expected. No Spyro, no Crash, no Tomb Raider, no FF8/9, no Castlevania, no analog-dependent games. At least they have Metal Gear Solid.

Similar to Nintendo's equivalent systems, the Japanese version has a different library:
Missing: Cool Boarders 2, Destruction Derby, GTA, Oddworld, Rayman, Syphon Filter, Rainbow Six, Twisted Metal
Added: Ark the Lad 1+2 (Sony), Armored Core (From), GRADIUS Gaiden (Konami), Devil Dice (Sony), Saga Frontier (Square), G-Darius (Taito), Parasite Eve (Square)

YPrrrr

C.Mongler

y i k e s

yeah the only way i get in on this is if hacking is a possibility. given this lineup, i feel like it's almost in their best interests to just quietly leave the door open to it, as there's a significant lack of actual PS classics on this thing lol. I don't see this selling nearly as well as Nintendo's classixboys. like who the fuck wants to play coolboarders 2 in 2018 lmao

TooB

yeah, pretty underwhelming list.

they shouldve just kept the japanese list of games for us here. wouldve been better

C.Mongler

yeah the jap list is still not fantastic, but still leagues better except for losing twisted metal. tho why twisted metal 1 over 2, WHO THE FUK KNOWS

Samus Aran

Kalahari Inkantation

embarrassing lol

$ony just loves sending products out to die

well, at least that's $100 i don't have to worry about spending anymore

Is anybody here buying this? sillydood;

Go Up