April 19, 2024, 04:37:14 AM

1,531,643 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

35 Minute Nintendo Direct 9/6

Started by YPrrrr, September 05, 2018, 01:31:08 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Kalahari Inkantation

just the fact that there's no precedent for it lol

nintendo has never offered any sort of backup solution for online games (at least as far as i'm aware), and with regard to smash in particular they already have a well established ten year history of dismissing any such concerns with brawl and sm4sh

bluaki

Quote from: Magyarorszag on September 07, 2018, 11:43:44 AMjust the fact that there's no precedent for it lol

nintendo has never offered any sort of backup solution for online games (at least as far as i'm aware), and with regard to smash in particular they already have a well established ten year history of dismissing any such concerns with brawl and sm4sh
It's quite limited, but 3DS has a save-data backup feature for digital download games. Among the games that support it are Mario Kart 7, Fire Emblem, and most other games that aren't Pokemon or Animal Crossing.

The Wii's problem specifically is that friend codes are issued per-game. Because Switch, 3DS, etc have online accounts at the system level, that problem doesn't carry over. Nintendo's Wii/DS servers got pretty confused if two people use the same friend code at the same time, so copying is blocked. Also, of course, Wii U's problem is that the OS is too half-baked and anti-homebrew to have any kind of working copy feature.

don't let's

Quote from: Magyarorszag on September 07, 2018, 11:17:47 AM
Quote from: bluaki on September 07, 2018, 02:35:38 AMI can only hope the other huge timesinks like [...] Smash support it.

not a chance LOL

also absolutely fuck; nintendo

Quote from: don't let's on September 07, 2018, 08:55:53 AMat least it's cheap enough

smithicide;

I'm a little apprised that they didn't go for $60 a year. But I guess there's always next year.

bluaki

September 07, 2018, 01:11:56 PM #33 Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 02:22:07 PM by bluaki
It looks like there's already a few specific games that already confirmed won't support cloud save backup:
* Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu & Eevee
* Splatoon 2
* Dark Souls Remastered
* Dead Cells
* FIFA 19
* NBA 2K19
* NBA Playgrounds

Arstechnica covered this today: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/09/turns-out-nintendos-promised-cloud-saves-on-switch-wont-work-for-every-game/

The omission of Splatoon and Dark Souls in particular seems a bit strange to me. I can't imagine any reason they shouldn't support it. Can't you freely copy around Dark Souls save files on PS3 and PS4?

TooB

No actually. Iirc, ps3 saves for souls were locked.

Also, i read somewhere today that all existing switch games will support cloud saves.

Or, if i misread that, all existing first party games

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: don't let's on September 07, 2018, 12:44:44 PMI'm a little apprised that they didn't go for $60 a year. But I guess there's always next year.

$20 is still completely unacceptable, especially given how insultingly incomplete this """service""" of nintendo's is shaping up to be

but i guarantee that price isn't even intended to be long-term, but rather to ease us into the idea of paying for nintendo online by inviting comparisons like 'but look at how cheap it is compared to xbollox live !!'

once the next console rolls around the price will almost certainly go up lol

it's just like how ps+ was first introduced years before the ps4 as an optional service to condition us to associate online connectivity with a pricewall, and then upon the launch of the ps4 ps+ no longer became optional and absolutely nobody was surprised or even protested

Kalahari Inkantation

September 07, 2018, 03:27:39 PM #36 Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 04:13:54 PM by Magyarorszag
Quote from: bluaki on September 07, 2018, 01:11:56 PM* Splatoon 2

lol that definitely doesn't bode well for smash

Quote from: bluaki on September 07, 2018, 01:11:56 PMThe omission of Splatoon and Dark Souls in particular seems a bit strange to me. I can't imagine any reason they shouldn't support it. Can't you freely copy around Dark Souls save files on PS3 and PS4?

the souls games were among a small but nonetheless extremely annoying list of copy protected ps3 games that simply couldn't be backed up, probably as some sort of idiotic drm measure

that is, until the introduction of cloud backups with ps+

so even the ps3's copy-protected games like the souls series could be backed up to the cloud with a ps+ subscription (and i certainly complained about this, that sort of extortion should be complete unacceptable)

as far as i'm aware, the ps4 has no such copy protection whatsoever, so any and all games, souls included, can be locally backed up or saved to the cloud or w/e (and boy do i appreciate that, but it should be the standard)

now i'm guessing that's a policy that sony itself enforces, because it seems like some of the very same games that have already appeared on ps4 are going to be copy protected on sw*tch

bluaki

It's happening tomorrow, Sept 13 at 6PM Eastern / 3PM Pacific. Nintendo still says it'll last about 35 minutes.

Also, the paid online service is launching next Tuesday, September 18. They'll announce more details about it during the Nintendo Direct.

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

Quote from: Nyerp on September 05, 2018, 08:45:19 PMif it's just more ports then can they at least port wonderful 101 already?
that game sucked didkc

YPrrrr

Luigi's Mansion 3

Isabelle in Smash

New Animal Crossing in 2019

Noice

C.Mongler

holy fuck that was a god tier bait and switch (and switch back) lol good lord nintendo

YPrrrr

I was very disappointed at first because I could not give a fuck about Isabelle in Smash

But then they were like oh yeah and new Animal Crossing too and I was immediately happy :)

bluaki

September 13, 2018, 04:01:37 PM #42 Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 04:08:34 PM by bluaki
Here's the lineup of most of the stuff mentioned in this Nintendo Direct

3DS:
2018 Oct 12 - Luigi's Mansion (port)
2019 Jan 11 - Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story (port)
2019 - Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn (port)

Switch:
Today - Final Fantasy XV Pocket Edition HD
Today - Splatoon 2 Update
2018 Sept 18 - Nintendo Switch Online (and preorder for the NES controllers)
2018 Oct 2 - Mega Man 11
2018 Oct 5 - Super Mario Party
2018 Oct 12 - TWEWY (port, adds one extra day)
2018 Nov 2 - Diablo 3 (also adds Ganondorf as playable)
2018 Nov 6 - World of Final Fantasy Maxima
2018 Nov 16 - Civilization 6
2018 Nov 16 - Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee
2018 Dec 7 - Super Smash Bros Deluxe
2018 Winter - Katamari Damacy Reroll (port of the first game)
2018 Winter - Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon: Every Buddy
2019 Jan 11 - New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe
2019 Spring - Yoshi's Crafted World
2019 - Luigi Mansion 3
2019 - Animal Crossing
2019 - Game Freak's new "Town (working title)" game
2019 - Daemon x Machina (Marvelous game)
2019 - Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Remastered Edition
2019 - Final Fantasy VII
2019 - Final Fantasy IX
2019 - Final Fantasy X+X-2 HD Remaster
2019 - Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age

The new NES controllers, which I totally called by the way, surprisingly use the Joy-Con rails to pair and charge. They aren't just normal USB, unfortunately. They cost $60 for a pair, not sold individually. Japan of course gets Famicom controllers instead.

NSMBU Deluxe replaces the second playable Toad with Toadette, who weirdly turns into "Peachette" with a mushroom. It also seems to make Nabbit playable in all the stages whereas originally he was only in New Super Luigi U. There's various other new features, modes, and other content.

This is the first time since FF6 that they're actually bringing mainline FF games to a Nintendo system, and they're doing four of the numbered games at once. All that's missing now is 8, 13, and 15.

bluaki

FF Crystal Chronicles got a full trailer today, unlike at the Sony conference where barely any gameplay was shown. It looks like it was originally supposed to be announced at the Nintendo Direct for Switch, then Sony's conference would've just been saying "yeah it's coming to PS4 too", but the delay messed with the announcement timing.

There's still no mention of local couch co-op multiplayer so I'm pessimistic it might be online-only saddood;

bluaki

September 13, 2018, 06:14:06 PM #44 Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 06:31:05 PM by bluaki
Here's the full list of NES titles available in the subscription: https://www.nintendo.com/switch/online-service/nes/

2018 Sept 18:
Balloon Fight, Baseball, Donkey Kong, Double Dragon, Dr. Mario
Excitebike, Ghosts'n'Goblins, Gradius, Ice Climber, Ice Hockey
The Legend of Zelda, Mario Bros, Pro Wrestling, River City Ransom, Soccer
Tecmo Bowl, Tennis, Super Mario Bros, Super Mario Bros 3, Yoshi

2018 October:
NES Open Tournament Golf, Solomon's Key, Super Dodge Ball

2018 November:
Metroid, Mighty Bomb Jack, TwinBee

2018 December:
Adventures of Lolo, Ninja Gaiden, Wario's Woods

The library is cumulative so no matter when you subscribe you have access to all previously-released NES games. That amounts to 29 games by the end of 2018.

There are 16 games that NES Mini has but Switch won't have this year:
Bubble Bobble, Castlevania, Castlevania II: Simon's Quest, Donkey Kong Jr
Double Dragon II: The Revenge, Final Fantasy, Galaga, Kid Icarus
Kirby's Adventure, Mega Man 2, Pac-Man, Punch-Out
StarTropics, Super C, Super Mario Bros 2, Zelda 2

And 15 games that Switch will get this year that NES Mini doesn't have:
Adventures of Lolo, Baseball, Double Dragon, Ice Hockey, Mighty Bomb Jack
NES Open Tournament Golf, Pro Wrestling, River City Ransom, Soccer, Solomon's Key
Super Dodge Ball, Tennis, TwinBee, Wario's Woods, Yoshi

Most of Switch's missing games are very notable classics, while most of the added Switch games are generic sports games.

Go Up