March 28, 2024, 02:22:41 PM

1,531,609 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

How do you consume music?

Started by reeper, August 31, 2018, 09:41:58 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

reeper

I'm totally in love with controlling exactly what I listen to, which takes a bit more work to get setup. My system consists of a large iTunes library with lots of playlists. I use Shazam to collect new music from IRL.

I used to have over 100gbs of music but at one point I went through it and deleted all but the absolute best songs, for example I used to have every song by Rush but I deleted all but 9 of my absolute favorite songs by them.

The playlists are separated in different ways. Like I have a classic rock playlist, a 1970's decade playlist, etc. If the song fits into both those categories then I add it to both, etc.

My playlists I probably jam the most are:

Chill Playlist folder
-Acoustic Guitar Chill
-Electronic Chill
-Groovy Chill
-Metal Chill

Favorite Artists folder
-Above and Beyond
-Above and Beyond Acoustic
-Michael Jackson
-Opeth
-Polyphia

Best of Genre folder
-Classic Rock
-Dance
-Downtempo
-Electronic
-Metal
-Pop
-Rap
-Reggae
-Rock
-Soft Rock

Deep Tracks folder (long progressive songs)
-Electronic Deep Tracks
-Metal Deep Tracks
-Rock n Roll Deep Tracks

The worst thing about this system is it is never ending and not much I can automate.

The best part is that I have near endless amounts of my favorite music without any advertisements, streaming problems (since it's on my phone/computer/etc), and I have collected so much music that I would have never had even remembered if I didn't start this ongoing project years ago.

AAAAAAAA

I just have one humongous playlist with everything, and a queue for new things.

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

i have a portable hardrive around here somewhere with several gigs of music I downloaded/ripped from CD's, though i haven't plugged that in for some time.

I usually listen to records. Just got record player a few months ago and starting to amass a collection again. Mostly buying dollar country records though (really cool shit imo)

When out and about, I stream music from my phone. I have a playlist of just shit I liked that would pop up on the radio or whatever.

Samus Aran

When at home, there's a couple ways. Most often, it's via iTunes on my computer, while wearing some Senns I bought a while back. Other times, I spin records on my record player.

I have an old iPod Classic I still use for listening on the go.

reeper

Quote from: SloppyJimbo on August 31, 2018, 10:00:30 PMI just have one humongous playlist with everything, and a queue for new things.
ou listen to music that is similar to each other? if i did that I would be listening to death metal, acoustic chill stuff, and rap. I don't think it would be a great playlist for extended times like driving or chilling.

Quote from: Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo on August 31, 2018, 10:56:12 PMi have a portable hardrive around here somewhere with several gigs of music I downloaded/ripped from CD's, though i haven't plugged that in for some time.

I usually listen to records. Just got record player a few months ago and starting to amass a collection again. Mostly buying dollar country records though (really cool shit imo)

When out and about, I stream music from my phone. I have a playlist of just shit I liked that would pop up on the radio or whatever.

e is something so primitive about records that makes the music feel like it has some real soul

Quote from: Samus Aran on September 01, 2018, 12:11:45 AMWhen at home, there's a couple ways. Most often, it's via iTunes on my computer, while wearing some Senns I bought a while back. Other times, I spin records on my record player.

you que up an album or artist when you're at home? i used to do that when i used my desktop a ton since playlists can be such a hassle for me to get just right so i dont have to come in and take control.

AAAAAAAA

Quote from: reeper on September 01, 2018, 02:27:50 PM
Quote from: SloppyJimbo on August 31, 2018, 10:00:30 PMI just have one humongous playlist with everything, and a queue for new things.
ou listen to music that is similar to each other? if i did that I would be listening to death metal, acoustic chill stuff, and rap. I don't think it would be a great playlist for extended times like driving or chilling.

Not at all. I'm happy with the mix.

Samus Aran

Quote from: reeper on September 01, 2018, 02:27:50 PM
Quote from: Samus Aran on September 01, 2018, 12:11:45 AMWhen at home, there's a couple ways. Most often, it's via iTunes on my computer, while wearing some Senns I bought a while back. Other times, I spin records on my record player.

que up an album or artist when you're at home? i used to do that when i used my desktop a ton since playlists can be such a hassle for me to get just right so i dont have to come in and take control.

i mostly listen to albums or playlists. sometimes i'll go through a couple albums by the same artist, but usually just one album at a time. the playlists are kinda just for when i can't decide on an album.

Thyme

I used to have a large itunes library (technically still do, i just don't use it) but I've completely made the switch to Spotify.

I'm not much of a playlists guy. I have a "Check out later" list I use to save albums I want to listen to when I have the time. Sometimes I'll check out their Progressive Metal playlist to see if there's anything new.

I used to be really big on trying to find new albums/artists to listen to, using dynamic recommendations systems like last.fm and rateyourmusic, and there was even a time where I browsed /mu/, but nowadays it's pretty much just what I see from r/progmetal on my Reddit frontpage and bands I follow on Facebook going "hey our friends from [some other band] just released their new album, check it out!".

Sometimes I'll feel like listening to a whole album. Sometimes I'll want to hear a specific song that's stuck in my head. When I'm really bored and don't know what to listen to, I'll just fire up my Daily Mix. And then I'll land on a song that makes me want to listen to the rest of the album it's on. It varies.

strongbad

Google Play Music exclusively. I can stream with no data through t mobile and my gf and I
split a family plan. Working in a cafe where I had complete control over the music was pretty neat and it reinvigorated my passion for music.

I like finding a new artist and being able to listen to their top songs, then being able to go through their whole discography. I am a fan of their radio feature as well and it's helped me discover a lot of cool niches.

I have a record player and a few dozen records at home but I've kind of fallen out of it. It's nice if I have people over I guess because it becomes a little more interactive but even then sometimes it can be a chore and is easier to put on a Google Play Radio. Tempted to sell my records but my gf has bought me a lot of very cool ones and I'd feel bad parting with them.

Silverhawk79

Spotify in the car, Winamp on my laptop and desktop. I have a record player and dedicated mp3 player too. I have 10k+ songs on my laptop/desktop, and a portable hard drive with a full backup. I don't use my record player hardly at all anymore, though...

Go Up