Is Google completely incapable of designing a phone?

Started by Kalahari Inkantation, August 25, 2018, 07:56:06 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Kalahari Inkantation

don't let's

Can boyah have a notch? 

though even minecraft got rid of its notch

reeper

Google doesn't even make their phone hardware. It's made by HTC.

Thyme

*Is Google completely incapable of original thought?

bluaki

Quote from: reeper on August 26, 2018, 12:26:09 AMGoogle doesn't even make their phone hardware. It's made by HTC.
Pixel 3 are the first phones entirely designed by Google staff because Google bought HTC's phone development division in January.

reeper

Quote from: bluaki on August 26, 2018, 07:29:24 AM
Quote from: reeper on August 26, 2018, 12:26:09 AMGoogle doesn't even make their phone hardware. It's made by HTC.
Pixel 3 are the first phones entirely designed by Google staff because Google bought HTC's phone development division in January.
ood to know. They definitely needed to expand their operations vertically to include hardware development, at least in my opinion.

My supervisor seems to love owning  google products but he also seems to be always having hardware issues. Albeit that was pixel 2 and a google tablet.

Ever since I switched back to Apple phones I don't see myself going to anything else.

C.Mongler

i wont rest until phones have no edges whatsoever. phones should be ethereal. i should be able to close my eyes and have my omnipresent phone with me at all times.

reeper

Quote from: C.Mongler on August 27, 2018, 09:18:20 AMi wont rest until phones have no edges whatsoever. phones should be ethereal. i should be able to close my eyes and have my omnipresent phone with me at all times.
d this book which predicted future phones as being able to be controlled by your eyes and basically a voice controlled by guttural "hmm" and what not.

Also yes I'm hoping for a monolith like phone soon too

bluaki

tbh I'm still not over the phone industry moving from nice perfectly-rectangular screens to screens with needlessly rounded corners, like the galaxy s8 and pixel 2 xl, but a cutout is way beyond that

Quote from: Magyarorszag on August 25, 2018, 07:56:06 AM

psyduck;
That status bar really does look more than twice as tall as a normal status bar lol

so much for the claim that putting a status bar around a cutout saves screen space. They probably could've saved a normal status bar's worth of height by spreading the sensors horizontally across the width of the phone instead of stacking them on top of each other, effectively having more usable screen space without a cutout

Mando Pandango

Quote from: C.Mongler on August 27, 2018, 09:18:20 AMi wont rest until phones have no edges whatsoever. phones should be ethereal. i should be able to close my eyes and have my omnipresent phone with me at all times.
Can't wait until I decide to go for the Google Prefrontal Cortex 6 right before they announce the 6S and feel like a fucking idiot for the rest of my life
Quote from: Magyarorszag on August 22, 2018, 10:27:46 PMjesus absolute shitdicking christ, nu-boyah

reeper

Quote from: bluaki on August 29, 2018, 05:11:16 PMtbh I'm still not over the phone industry moving from nice perfectly-rectangular screens to screens with needlessly rounded corners, like the galaxy s8 and pixel 2 xl, but a cutout is way beyond that

Quote from: Magyarorszag on August 25, 2018, 07:56:06 AM

psyduck;
That status bar really does look more than twice as tall as a normal status bar lol

so much for the claim that putting a status bar around a cutout saves screen space. They probably could've saved a normal status bar's worth of height by spreading the sensors horizontally across the width of the phone instead of stacking them on top of each other, effectively having more usable screen space without a cutout
but look at that bezel/s

Hiro

Samsung truly is the only competent phone manufacturer these days

Thyme

ME##

The iPhone 6s Plus is the epitome of phone design.  Come at me, bro.

bluaki

Google's hardware event was today and other than the pricing (lmao) every announcement was 100% leaked beforehand.

• The smaller Pixel 3 model starts at $799, which is up a whole $150 (23%) from last year's $649 Pixel 2.
  • The bigger Pixel 3 XL, which has that awful notch, starts at $899, which is up $50 from last year's $849 Pixel 2 XL.
  • Like last year, both Pixel models start at 64GB and upgrading to 128GB increases price another $100, for up to $999 for a Pixel 3 XL
  • Like last year, both Pixel models still have 4GB RAM
  • For exactly the same price as the Note 9, the Pixel 3 XL has less RAM, much bigger bezels, a huge notch, no SD slot, no pen, no headphone jack, a 25% smaller battery, and the same storage capacity (128GB) and SoC (in US)
  • At least they're bringing back Qi wireless charging, which Google adopted before anyone else with Nexus 4-6 but then removed from their phones for 3 years until Apple made it cool
  • Google is actually selling a Qi charger for $79
  • There was an updated Chromecast that leaked a while back that I guess is releasing today maybe but Google forgot to even announce it at today's hardware event
  • The Google Home Hub (basically Google's answer to the Echo Show, a Home glued to a 7" tablet) is $150
  • Google has the COURAGE to beat Apple at its own game by removing the headphone jack from its new 12-inch laptop/tablet hybrid device. It has only one USB-C port. Even Apple isn't ditching the headphone jack yet from any iPad or Macbook devices.
  • The Pixel Slate is a 12-inch ChromeOS tablet starting at $600 for 4GB/32GB/Celeron up to $1600 for 16GB/256GB/i7, plus another $200 for its keyboard folio (like MS Surface), plus yet another $100 for the same stylus last year's Pixelbook uses.

beforehand I was sorta considering upgrading from my Pixel 1 to a (small, non-notched) Pixel 3, but getting a Pixel 3 that's even on par with my Pixel 1 (which cost $650 when I bought it) costs $900 and the only difference I care about basically comes down to getting slimmer bezels (but with rounded screen corners, and not even close to Samsung's bezels) at the expense of a headphone jack.

By the way, Google supported video output over USB from their phones and tablets in 2013 and 2014. I'd hope they'll bring it back eventually, maybe to imitate Samsung's DeX, but maybe they're waiting for Apple to imitate it first since copying Apple is all they seem to do these days.

Go Up