April 25, 2024, 01:51:11 PM

1,531,645 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

PotD: Is the penny obsolete?

Started by Kalahari Inkantation, August 20, 2018, 02:49:50 PM

previous topic - next topic

y/n

We should kill the penny.
7 (87.5%)
We should keep the penny. I will elaborate below.
1 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Go Down

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: Hiro on August 20, 2018, 03:35:38 PMThat would be totally unnecessary though, the issue is the 25 and 75 cent increments

oh well then just kill the dime too lol

in addition to introducing a 50¢ piece and coining the dollar

Hiro

I mean there are half dollars and dollar coins, but I'm gonna say no to both those ideas

Kalahari Inkantation

in addition to normalizing the half dollar and dollar coin, while killing the dollar bill y/n

Quote from: Hiro on August 20, 2018, 03:55:10 PMbut I'm gonna say no to both those ideas

b-but the current set of coins is a near worthless hassle :'(

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

the penny will not die until prices set by retailers and manufacturers are rounded to whole numbers instead of $29.99

Hiro

Quote from: Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo on August 20, 2018, 03:58:16 PMthe penny will not die until prices set by retailers and manufacturers are rounded to whole numbers instead of $29.99
All those would be automatically rounded up to whole dollars if we got rid of the penny, so it would be the other way around bro
Plus those prices never include tax so really it ends up being 33.27 or some shit

Quote from: Magyarorszag on August 20, 2018, 03:57:02 PMin addition to normalizing the half dollar and dollar coin, while killing the dollar bill y/n

Quote from: Hiro on August 20, 2018, 03:55:10 PMbut I'm gonna say no to both those ideas

right, if we just had dimes everything would only be one decimal place, and much easier to use. Normalizing the half dollar coin to go with dimes would be alright.
I did just realize though, tons of vending and laundry machines would be made useless without quarters

Quote from: Hiro on August 20, 2018, 04:03:13 PM
Quote from: Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo on August 20, 2018, 03:58:16 PMthe penny will not die until prices set by retailers and manufacturers are rounded to whole numbers instead of $29.99
All those would be automatically rounded up to whole dollars if we got rid of the penny, so it would be the other way around bro
Plus those prices never include tax so really it ends up being 33.27 or some shit

Quote from: Magyarorszag on August 20, 2018, 03:57:02 PMin addition to normalizing the half dollar and dollar coin, while killing the dollar bill y/n

right, if we just had dimes everything would only be one decimal place, and much easier to use. Normalizing the half dollar coin to go with dimes would be alright.
I did just realize though, tons of vending and laundry machines would be made useless without quarters
retailers set those prices because 29.99$ sounds better that 30$ to consumers so do not expect businesses to give up that edge so easy

Hiro

Right but if .99 is not a possible total then they couldn't do it, see my response in the chat thread

are yo uforcing me to pay sales tax

Samus Aran

.99 price marking didn't end in Canada when the penny died. why would it? rounding is done at the point-of-sale after tax is factored in anyway

so that sort of thing wouldn't end here with the death of the penny, either

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: Hiro on August 20, 2018, 04:03:13 PM

they could very well round down to .95 to preserve the psychological effect lol

Quote from: Hiro on August 20, 2018, 04:03:13 PMright, if we just had dimes everything would only be one decimal place, and much easier to use. Normalizing the half dollar coin to go with dimes would be alright.

sure i'm okay with this

Quote from: Hiro on August 20, 2018, 04:03:13 PMI did just realize though, tons of vending and laundry machines would be made useless without quarters

most of them can accept other coinage and dollars anyway lol

and it's not like the coins in question would be immediately outlawed, they'd just be gradually phased out over the course of years after having their minting ceased

vendors would have plenty of time to update their machines if necessary

how much money u losing if you move to 95 cents

bluaki

Get rid of the penny, but the other coins can stay for quite a while longer.

Also US sales tax is a mess. Plenty of other countries (I know Japan does this, for example) factor sales tax into the label price so if you see something listed as "200円" you can just hand them two 100-yen coins and be done with it, which saves you from handling small coins as much unless you're a tax-exempt foreigner who pays less than the list price. America supposedly can't do that just because we make the laws fluctuate by region so much that even going to different cities in the same state will give you different tax rates. Retailers insist on getting the same amount of money for the same purchase no matter where it's made for some reason, even though that doesn't really make sense in the first place since they don't charge you more for credit transactions than cash and some items' base prices vary by store location.

but also, eliminating the penny doesn't mean all the price labels will be rounded to 5-cents, since rounding applies after tax and adding up all the items in a transaction. You'll still pay more for a $19.99 item than a $19.95 item.

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: bluaki on August 20, 2018, 05:11:56 PMAlso US sales tax is a mess. Plenty of other countries (I know Japan does this, for example) factor sales tax into the label price so if you see something listed as "200円" you can just hand them two 100-yen coins and be done with it, which saves you from handling small coins as much unless you're a tax-exempt foreigner who pays less than the list price. America supposedly can't do that just because we make the laws fluctuate by region so much that even going to different cities in the same state will give you different tax rates.

Quote from: Magyarorszag on August 20, 2018, 05:04:56 PMextremely easy solution:

https://boyah.net/forums2/index.php/topic,69724.0.html

abolish federalism

Mando Pandango

Quote from: Magyarorszag on August 22, 2018, 10:27:46 PMjesus absolute shitdicking christ, nu-boyah

Hiro

Quote from: Magyarorszag on August 20, 2018, 04:46:38 PMmost of them can accept other coinage and dollars anyway lol

and it's not like the coins in question would be immediately outlawed, they'd just be gradually phased out over the course of years after having their minting ceased

vendors would have plenty of time to update their machines if necessary
I'm talking non-electronic ones, like those candy dispensers at grocery store entrances, and cheap laundry machines

Go Up