April 16, 2024, 07:13:48 AM

1,531,643 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Will Switch get a hardware revision?

Started by bluaki, August 19, 2018, 03:11:05 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

bluaki

August 19, 2018, 03:11:05 PM Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 03:35:21 PM by bluaki
I think it's almost guaranteed that there will be one, which leaves two questions: (1) when? (2) what changes will it have?

I'm expecting one in 2019 that puts a stronger focus on handheld mode by reducing the price. A couple months before the 8th gen Pokemon game launches seems like a perfect timing and it should also coincide with the end of 3DS's lifespan.

And I think this seems like the reasonable set of cost-cutting changes to make:
* Have built-in buttons instead of detachable joycon
* Not include a dock, but still work with a sold-separately one
* Not include any wireless controllers, but still work with the same sold-separately ones for tabletop/docked modes
* Include a smaller/cheaper charger because 39W is very much overkill. Handheld mode on the existing console caps out at 18W, but if they fix the charging bugs they could make do with even cheaper 12W or 15W chargers instead.

Factoring in the fact that the cost of the existing components should have dropped a bit by two years later, I think they can hit $200 or up to $230 with a generous profit margin. This shouldn't replace the current Switch but instead live alongside it like 2DS did. Losing the detachable controllers also makes it a lot sturdier and more child-friendly.

I'll split some ranting about reasoning into a second post hocuspocus;

reeper

I'm just hoping for new games, mine is getting dusty :(

bluaki

August 19, 2018, 03:17:15 PM #2 Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 03:31:22 PM by bluaki
The Switch is $300 and Nintendo knows that can't compete on price in the handheld market against the 3DS family, so they even released the New 2DS XL ($150) as a stopgap and continue releasing new 3DS games into at least early 2019, which is longer than DS's extended support after 3DS launched: Pokemon BW2 was 19 months after 3DS.

The marketing shows this too: they always depict Switch as "a home console you can also take on the go", not "a handheld console that you can play on your TV", and the commercials' actors are a lot older than the kids in most 3DS ads. Nintendo's official stance continues to be that "Switch does not replace the 3DS family". The game library they've released on Switch so far entirely seems more like Nintendo's traditionally console offerings, not the handheld ones. Even this year's Pokemon seems designed much more around TV play than handheld, with the strong focus on motion controls.

The Tegra X1 puts pretty heavy restrictions on how much cost-saving and size-reduction they can get out of a console revision only two years after launch, but the bundled accessories paint an entirely different picture. Look at these (heavily marked-up) retail prices for the included junk:
$80 for a pair of Joy-Con
$90 for a dock with HDMI cable and 39W AC adapter (the charger by itself is $30)
$20 for a Joy-Con grip
=$190 for a replacement set of all accessories with full retail markup. I think maybe ~$90ish is a reasonable guess for the real cost.

Cutting out the joycon saves money not only on all the components of the Joy-Con themselves (battery, bluetooth, IR camera, etc) but also avoids making the attachment mechanism and rails on the console itself. With everything in one plastic shell, that also frees up some internal space because of all the area under the buttons. They can give it a real dpad too.

There's a lot of precedence with the 2DS, which launched two years after 3DS on the same day as Pokemon X/Y and has a very strong focus on cost-cutting, child-friendliness, and durability while cutting down on some of 3DS's flagship features. Diamond/Pearl also launched a few months after the first DS revision.

bluaki

Quote from: reeper on August 19, 2018, 03:16:49 PMI'm just hoping for new games, mine is getting dusty :(
More games actually plays into this: Switch still isn't fully replacing the Nintendo 3DS family. They haven't fully shifted over the development teams yet because 3DS continues to hold a distinct place in the market.

Also, isn't this already the strongest offering they've had in decades for a home console only ~1.5 years after launch now? The main gaps left in Nintendo franchises after this year will be a real Pokemon game, Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem, and 2D Mario. There's Metroid and Pikmin too I guess.

bluaki

Quote from: bluaki on August 19, 2018, 03:11:05 PMAnd I think this seems like the reasonable set of cost-cutting changes to make:
* Have built-in buttons instead of detachable joycon
* Not include a dock, but still work with a sold-separately one
* Not include any wireless controllers, but still work with the same sold-separately ones for tabletop/docked modes
* Include a smaller/cheaper charger because 39W is very much overkill. Handheld mode on the existing console caps out at 18W, but if they fix the charging bugs they could make do with even cheaper 12W or 15W chargers instead.
Maybe I should put more emphasis on reasonable

a more Nintendo-like approach would be:
* Don't support a dock at all even if you buy one separately
* Don't support wireless controllers either
* Don't support SD cards above 32GB for no apparent reason at all
* You can't install a lot of existing games at all because of those missing features
* Throw in a lower-quality screen too for good measure
* Uses yet another new proprietary Nintendo-only charging plug instead of USB
* You have to pay $40/year instead of $20/year for online service if you use this version of the console
* Doesn't let you transfer your Nintendo Account over from a regular Switch if you already linked it to one

and I'm only slightly exaggerating myface;

TooB

It'll have a greater emphasis on handheld mode, but will only last 1 hour goowan

bluaki

Quote from: Big Goop on August 19, 2018, 03:57:51 PMIt'll have a greater emphasis on handheld mode, but will only last 1 hour goowan
Both my 3DS XL and New 3DS XL only last about one hour on battery while playing Pokemon anyway. Switch actually gives me significantly better battery life.

idk why my 3DS systems die so quickly. Maybe the batteries degrade really easily. Maybe they're actually way below 100% if I unplug them after leaving them plugged in overnight while in sleep mode (like it stops charging once it hits 100% and just drains after that) so I'm not getting the full battery life. Maybe the flashing red "HELP I'M DYING" actually happens when it has a lot of battery life left. Maybe Pokemon is just really battery-intensive.

don't let's

I hope so. And I hope it's a good one and not one that's just fluff or gimps it somehow. 

C.Mongler

I don't forsee the Switch getting any sort of true hardware revision until late(r)-life, like 2020-21 at earliest. Perhaps QoL hardware revisions, such as bigger internal memory, or SKU changes, like dockless, or w/ pro controller or something, but I don't think there will be any wild changes, only mild changes.

ClassicTyler

bluaki

Update: early reports are happening and, though there's not much info yet, they seem to perfectly reflect my predictions.

https://nintendoeverything.com/rumor-nikkei-claims-smaller-switch-is-coming-nintendo-planning-new-service-for-this-year/

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/01/nintendos-next-switch-model-will-reportedly-shrink-the-size-cost-features/

QuoteAccording to their affiliates, they are 'miniaturizing the console with portability and playing outdoors in mind, as well as cutting features to reduce the price and expand the userbase.' and they intend to release it as early as 2019

don't let's

ME##

A Switch, a phone, an internet browser and a landscape iPod

Also foldable screen with liquid cooling and all premium metal body

Go Up