April 23, 2024, 04:17:11 PM

1,531,645 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

PotD: #

Started by Kalahari Inkantation, August 19, 2018, 04:27:26 AM

previous topic - next topic

What is # called?

Sharp
0 (0%)
Hash(tag)
2 (18.2%)
Pound sign
6 (54.5%)
Number sign
3 (27.3%)
Octothorp
0 (0%)
Other
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Go Down

Kalahari Inkantation

don't let's

Hiro

I've said pound and number symbol, though honestly when I read it online I typically associate it with hashtags. It is actually called an octothorpe though

ME##

bluaki

I've always heard it called a pound sign or number sign interchangeably. I prefer "number sign" because it's less ambiguous with the British currency and was more representative of the glyph's connotation and usage.

I also knew it by the names "hash sign" and "octothorpe" but almost nobody ever seemed to know about those names so I avoided using them. Except people know hash now that "hashtags" became widespread.

It's not a sharp sign, but can be used to substitute for one when discussing C#. In actual music discussion I don't think it's very useful because there's no similar ascii-lookalikes for other glyphs like the flat sign or natural sign, so it's easier to just spell out "sharp" etc.

YPrrrr

Hashtag, number sign, pound

Nyerp

it's called "part of an upcoming boyah 2.0 feature" #boyah #doodthing #hashtag

reeper

Depends on context, do I win!?

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: Nyerp on August 19, 2018, 09:55:37 AMit's called "part of an upcoming boyah 2.0 feature" #boyah #doodthing #hashtag

I wonder what we could use ♯hashtags for. Would Boyah benefit from having a tagging system? befuddlement

AAAAAAAA

Mando Pandango

Even before twitter, it was a hash sign, and that's how I tended to refer to it for IRC rooms and such.
Quote from: Magyarorszag on August 22, 2018, 10:27:46 PMjesus absolute shitdicking christ, nu-boyah

C.Mongler

I would normally say number sign, but these days i just say hashtag because people are stupid and that's what it's commonly know as now

Go Up