March 28, 2024, 02:35:31 PM

1,531,609 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

PC BENCHMARX THREAD

Started by Kalahari Inkantation, August 18, 2018, 07:37:28 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: Snowy on November 23, 2018, 06:45:09 PMYou did that with the stock cooler??? Are you trying to burn your house down? lmao

What's truly amazing is that even at that speed, even with that awful cooler, it's still well below 80°C 99% of the time. sillydood;

but yeah that's why i bought the 212 evo, the stock cooler is definitely inadequate and i don't want to accidentally create a bomb lol

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: Snowy on November 25, 2018, 05:58:57 AMwhat was your avg temp with that oc on a stock cooler?

it averages around 54°C, but during stressful benchmarks (one of which i had just run to answer this question, so really the average is lower than 54°) it can breach the 80° mark, as you can see, which is why i need a new cooler lol

Speaking of which, I'm seriously considering returning the 212 Evo ($20) and getting one of those unsightly cream-brown Noctuas ($60) instead. smithicide;

Kalahari Inkantation

amazingly enough, the noctuas actually outperform many water coolers by great margins

and then there's the 212 evo second from the bottom of the list

if i want to keep it overclocked it can't be much higher than 80° at full load, so my only real option is noctua lol

the 212 evo actually came in today but i'll have to just ship it right back

don't let's

That feeling when I missed the ddr3 window and ddr4 is half the price of what I can find

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: Snowy on November 29, 2018, 02:23:31 PMWhen was that test done? I see it was done on a 3770K and I know all of the asatek AIOs (NZXT, Corsair etc) have gotten reworked in the last year or so.

2013 sillydood;

and upon researching it definitely is obsolete, newer benchmarks suggest the 2018 h60 is vastly superior to the older one (then why on earth did they stick with the same name???), on par with and perhaps even superior to the noctua for about the same price

had i been aware of the h60's massive upgrade i would have considered it, but i've already received the noctua (in fact i've had it sitting here doing nothing for weeks smth;) and rakuten has a nonexistent return policy so w/e i guess lol goodjob;

anyway i'll finally install it sometime this week and see just how far i can push this 6500 nyandood;

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: don't let's on December 15, 2018, 07:25:41 AMThat feeling when I missed the ddr3 window and ddr4 is half the price of what I can find

Are you still stuck on a DDR3 board? myface;

at this point you might as well wait until the ddr5 rollout (as i plan on doing) before your next upgrade lol

Travis

UserBenchmarks: Game 70%, Desk 76%, Work 69%
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 - 71.3%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060-6GB - 72.5%
SSD: Intel SSDPEKKR256G7 256GB - 111.7%
HDD: WD Blue 1TB (2012) - 103.2%
RAM: G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 2400 C17 2x8GB - 80.1%

whoops

don't let's

Quote from: Magyarorszag on December 25, 2018, 01:12:55 AM
Quote from: don't let's on December 15, 2018, 07:25:41 AMThat feeling when I missed the ddr3 window and ddr4 is half the price of what I can find

Are you still stuck on a DDR3 board? myface;

at this point you might as well wait until the ddr5 rollout (as i plan on doing) before your next upgrade lol
I noticed ddr4 was half the price of the ddr3 I found, but yeah, I think I'll just get all new stuff instead of upgrading parts on my current machine.

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: Magyarorszag on December 25, 2018, 01:11:41 AManyway i'll finally install it sometime this week and see just how far i can push this 6500 nyandood;

oh yeah, more than two years later, the answer IS:

A tremendously respectable 4.48ghz. I've had it running stable at that frequency on air (Thanks Noctua™!) since shortly after Christman 2018. n_n

intel's inhumane choking of the 6500 locks it at 3.6ghz TOPS, but unlocking it with some simple hax got me a continuously solid 24% performance enhancement for over two years now :3

My record with this humble i5, however, is over 4.7ghz. sillydood;

was not at all stable at that frequency though rofl, could barely finish the benchmark and then insta-bsod when launching chrime, but i only wanted to test how far i could push it

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: Magyarorszag on December 25, 2018, 01:12:55 AM

lmao i've been saying this for well over two years now and the general ddr5 rollout STILL hasn't happened, year after year it gets delay after delay

it looks like it might finally be coming this year for real this time but i simply don't give an arse anymore

launch day ddr5 will be ddr5 at its highest price, lowest performance and lowest stability, it'll be years before it's a genuine dollar-for-dollar upgrade over the extremely fine and highly-refined tuning of mature ddr4

There's no doubt that I underestimated my needs (okay, "needs") when I first built this PC nearly five years ago. The humble i5 6500 and the rest of my build have served me well all that time, though I have been feeling the itch to upgrade for over 2.5 of those 5 years. At this point I think my current PC has earned a comfortable retirement. dittodood;

Now I hope you fine folks are ready to raise an eyebrow or two at my emerging new build. nyandood;

Hiro

can I find you some weird ass cases

Go Up