April 23, 2024, 03:01:13 PM

1,531,645 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

"Two-thousand eighteen"

Started by Hiro, August 18, 2018, 04:22:20 PM

previous topic - next topic

Which is the correct way to say the current year?

Two thousand eighteen
2 (25%)
Twenty eighteen
6 (75%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Go Down

Hiro

It fucking drives me crazy when people say "two-thousand xx" instead of "twenty xx". The last year it was acceptable to say it that first way was in 2010. Imagine if people said "one thousand nine hundred ninety six" or even "nineteen hundred fifty four"
For some reason it also gives me the thought that people who say it that way are still calling it "the new millennium" too.

It's twenty eighteen god dammit.

YPrrrr

Um I say either because both are right and I want options

Kalahari Inkantation

i feel like i say two thousand eighteen more often than twenty-eighteen, but honestly it's exceedingly rare that i have to pronounce the current year out loud befuddlement

i voted for two thousand eighteen though

it's not quite comparable to "nineteen hundred fifty four" imo because "two thousand eighteen" is fewer syllables and much faster/easier to say

'two thousand (and) [x]' is also a lot more familiar because that's how you'd describe a number of things, not as 'twenty eighteen [things]'

Mando Pandango

Quote from: Magyarorszag on August 18, 2018, 06:07:13 PM'two thousand (and) [x]' is also a lot more familiar because that's how you'd describe a number of things, not as 'twenty eighteen [things]'
this is the worst argument you've ever put forth
Quote from: Magyarorszag on August 22, 2018, 10:27:46 PMjesus absolute shitdicking christ, nu-boyah

Nyerp

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: Detective Spatchcock on August 18, 2018, 06:32:40 PM
Quote from: Magyarorszag on August 18, 2018, 06:07:13 PM'two thousand (and) [x]' is also a lot more familiar because that's how you'd describe a number of things, not as 'twenty eighteen [things]'

How would you pronounce "Today I ate 2018 calories worth of cheese"? befuddlement

don't let's

It's probably the 2001-2009 years that brought that back

Mando Pandango

Quote from: Magyarorszag on August 18, 2018, 06:45:37 PM
Quote from: Detective Spatchcock on August 18, 2018, 06:32:40 PM

How would you pronounce "Today I ate 2018 calories worth of cheese"? befuddlement
on what planet would anyone say they were born in the year one-thousand-nine-hundred-ninety-one
Quote from: Magyarorszag on August 22, 2018, 10:27:46 PMjesus absolute shitdicking christ, nu-boyah

Mando Pandango

i know you're just being tec on this but this is a bad one

Kalahari Inkantation

wait, what

Quote from: Detective Spatchcock on August 18, 2018, 07:12:59 PMon what planet would anyone say they were born in the year one-thousand-nine-hundred-ninety-one

Where did I ever so much as suggest that anyone would? befuddlement

hiro's the only one who said anything like that, as an argument against it

Quote from: Hiro on August 18, 2018, 04:22:20 PMImagine if people said "one thousand nine hundred ninety six"

in fact i specifically said that pronouncing the 1900s is harder

Quote from: Magyarorszag on August 18, 2018, 06:07:13 PMit's not quite comparable to "nineteen hundred fifty four" imo because "two thousand eighteen" is fewer syllables and much faster/easier to say

let alone saying "one thousand nineteen hundred and..."

my arguments are that 'two thousand [x]' is more familiar because it's still relatively easy to say and because it's how you'd describe a number of things

you (or at least i) also wouldn't casually say "today i ate one thousand nine hundred calories worth of cheese", but "today i ate nineteen hundred calories worth of cheese"

Quote from: Detective Spatchcock on August 18, 2018, 07:13:29 PMi know you're just being tec on this but this is a bad one

What does this even mean? akudood;

Mando Pandango

Quote from: Magyarorszag on August 18, 2018, 07:25:38 PMwait, what

Quoteon what planet would anyone say they were born in the year one-thousand-nine-hundred-ninety-one

akudood;

We're not counting the years, we're naming them. We don't say it's been 2018 years, we say the year is 2018.

don't let's

The year is two thousand eighteen 

Kalahari Inkantation

August 18, 2018, 07:42:46 PM #12 Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 07:53:05 PM by Magyarorszag
Quote from: Detective Spatchcock on August 18, 2018, 07:34:30 PM
Quote from: Magyarorszag on August 18, 2018, 07:25:38 PMwait, what

Quoteon what planet would anyone say they were born in the year one-thousand-nine-hundred-ninety-one

akudood;

We're not counting the years, we're naming them. We don't say it's been 2018 years, we say the year is 2018.

my point is only that 'two thousand (and) [x]' sounds more familiar because it's what we would say if we were counting

the name "two thousand eighteen" doesn't sound so awkward to me partly because it's already consistent with how we count, but i'm not implying that we actually do count (rather than name) the years, or that anyone should lol

Mando Pandango

then why did you vote the way you did

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: Detective Spatchcock on August 18, 2018, 07:59:49 PMthen why did you vote the way you did

because

Quote from: Magyarorszag on August 18, 2018, 06:07:13 PMi feel like i say two thousand eighteen more often than twenty-eighteen

it's not quite comparable to "nineteen hundred fifty four" imo because "two thousand eighteen" is fewer syllables and much faster/easier to say

and

Quote from: Magyarorszag on August 18, 2018, 07:42:46 PMthe name "two thousand eighteen" doesn't sound so awkward to me partly because it's already consistent with how we count, but i'm not implying that we actually do count (rather than name) the years, or that anyone should lol

and as further evidence that i'm not "just being tec":

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?geo=US&q=%22twenty%20eighteen%22,%22two%20thousand%20eighteen%22

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22two+thousand+eighteen%22

https://www.google.com/search?ei=rd14W8nwHq7n5gK_jYLYDg&q="twenty+eighteen";

so the name "two thousand eighteen" seems about as well accepted as "twenty eighteen" is, at least acording to google lol

in any case:

Quote from: Magyarorszag on August 18, 2018, 06:07:13 PMit's exceedingly rare that i have to pronounce the current year out loud befuddlement

Go Up