April 16, 2024, 01:26:45 AM

1,531,643 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Wii U Switch Ports Volume 15: New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe

Started by bluaki, August 16, 2018, 10:11:09 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

bluaki

The number "15" in the title wasn't completely made up from nowhere and I can actually name 14 other games that can arguably be technically considered ports from Wii U to Switch, although I fudged the criteria a little for the sake of exaggeration sillydood;

There's the 8 Nintendo-published ones:
1. Breath of the Wild
2. Mario Kart 8
3. Pokken
4. Bayonetta
5. Bayonetta 2
6. DKC Tropical Freeze
7. Hyrule Warriors
8. Captain Toad

Some third-party games I know of that initially launched on Wii U:
9. Runbow (launched as Wii U exclusive, later ported to Windows/PS4/XB1/3DS/Switch)
10. Puyo Puyo Tetris (launched on Wii U alongside PS3/Vita/3DS)
11. Rayman Legends (launched on Wii U alongside PS3/360/Windows)

and some more third-party games that at least had Wii U as their first console port:
12. Freedom Planet (launched on PC, Wii U port predates PS4 by 2 years)
13. Shovel Knight (launched on PC, Wii U port predates PlayStation/Xbox by 1 year)
14. Shantae and the Pirate's Curse (launched on 3DS, Wii U port predates PS4/XB1 by 2 years)

There might be a couple more third-party games that fit this criteria that I don't know about. Probably all indies.

I'd want to count Splatoon and Smash Bros since the Switch sequels effectively make those original Wii U games irrelevant, but no matter how you argue it they really aren't ports at all.

ClassicTyler

Go Vacation was actually a Wii game ported to Switch lmao

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: bluaki on August 16, 2018, 10:11:09 AMI feel like the New Super Mario Bros series of all things deserves a "New Super Mario All-Stars" release that bundles them all together instead of charging probably full price for a barely-enhanced (if at all) port of just one of them.

i wholeheartedly agree with this, but if nintendo rereleases them all piecemeal, gamers will happily buy them all piecemeal, so nintendo has no reason to ever put together something like a (nu-)super mario all stars ever again lol

at least this port of nsmb&luigi u would finally give the excuse i need to pick up luigi u, i guess awdood;

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: bluaki on August 16, 2018, 12:05:58 PMand I think that's it. I don't think there are even any substantial physics differences between the games. That's well within the scope of what a single homebrew developer could do, so it's basically negligible effort at Nintendo's scale.

remember: this is the same company that regularly puts out slop like amiibo festival, twilight princess """hd""", star fox zero, mario tennis: ultra smashed, a new console literally prefixed """new""", etc.

it's the same company that can't even emulate its own games on its own virtual console platform correctly

to expect even "negligible effort" from nintendo is to have extremely high expectations of nintendo

bluaki

Quote from: Magyarorszag on August 17, 2018, 08:21:41 PMi wholeheartedly agree with this, but if nintendo rereleases them all piecemeal, gamers will happily buy them all piecemeal, so nintendo has no reason to ever put together something like a (nu-)super mario all stars ever again lol

at least this port of nsmb&luigi u would finally give the excuse i need to pick up luigi u, i guess awdood;
I think pushing out separate rereleases of the NSMB games is too far even for Nintendo. The NSMB games absolutely don't stand out from each other enough for it to make sense to have all of them on the same console's shelves next to each other.

More likely, they'll never make an enhanced rerelease of any of the other three NSMB games. I would say they'd stick to just emulating the original versions, but at this point I sincerely doubt they'll even do that.

Quote from: Magyarorszag on August 17, 2018, 08:25:21 PMremember: this is the same company that regularly puts out slop like amiibo festival, twilight princess """hd""", star fox zero, mario tennis: ultra smashed, a new console literally prefixed """new""", etc.
Is there anything wrong with Twilight Princess HD?

Quote from: Magyarorszag on August 17, 2018, 08:25:21 PM
Quote from: bluaki on August 16, 2018, 12:05:58 PMand I think that's it. I don't think there are even any substantial physics differences between the games. That's well within the scope of what a single homebrew developer could do, so it's basically negligible effort at Nintendo's scale.
it's the same company that can't even emulate its own games on its own virtual console platform correctly

to expect even "negligible effort" from nintendo is to have extremely high expectations of nintendo
Like the negligible effort it'd take to support save backups to SD card on Wii U and Switch?
Or the negligible effort it'd take to support Wii U Pro Controller in the settings menu?

Kalahari Inkantation

August 18, 2018, 05:32:37 PM #20 Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 05:57:13 PM by Magyarorszag
Quote from: bluaki on August 17, 2018, 09:39:13 PMMore likely, they'll never make an enhanced rerelease of any of the other three NSMB games.

i agree that this is far more likely, especially considering that two of the four nsmb games are still directly playable on nintendo's most recent handheld lol

so there's hardly a point in remaking/rereleasing them separately, but nintendo is also way too stingy and lazy to put them all together in a nu-super mario all-stars-esque bundle

the nsmb+luigi u port will be just that and very little (if anything) else

Quote from: bluaki on August 17, 2018, 09:39:13 PMIs there anything wrong with Twilight Princess HD?

it's absolutely disgusting

not that what's-her-name-again was ever a looker but oh my god

it's pretty much universally agreed upon that tp is ęsthetically ugly, and the hd port of tp presented nintendo with an ideal opportunity to de-uglify the game

instead they took the easiest and cheapest route they possibly could and simply upscaled the textures, shat out an amiibo and called it a day

and that had the effect of exaggerating tp's ugliness

tp ""'hd""" is probably one of the more pure examples of nintendo's inexcusable laziness

Quote from: bluaki on August 17, 2018, 09:39:13 PMLike the negligible effort it'd take to support save backups to SD card on Wii U and Switch?
Or the negligible effort it'd take to support Wii U Pro Controller in the settings menu?

Y-yeah.

bluaki

Quote from: Magyarorszag on August 18, 2018, 05:32:37 PMi agree that this is far more likely, especially considering that two of the four nsmb games are still directly playable on nintendo's most recent handheld lol
I don't think backwards compatibility is Nintendo's biggest consideration about what not to port

considering Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story is getting a port from DS to 3DS. They already ported Superstar Saga (from GBA) and strangely skipped Partners In Time.

Nyerp

wasn't wind waker hd also a bloom-drenched nightmare?

TooB

Go Up