April 19, 2024, 04:00:28 AM

1,531,643 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Wii U Switch Ports Volume 15: New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe

Started by bluaki, August 16, 2018, 10:11:09 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

bluaki

https://gematsu.com/2018/08/rumor-new-super-mario-bros-u-and-new-super-luigi-u-coming-to-switch

According to several supposedly-credible leakers, the New Super Mario Bros U + New Super Luigi U bundle is coming to Switch later this year. It's unconfirmed of course but knowing Nintendo I don't doubt it at all.

I feel like the New Super Mario Bros series of all things deserves a "New Super Mario All-Stars" release that bundles them all together instead of charging probably full price for a barely-enhanced (if at all) port of just one of them. It's especially silly if they end up with a Switch release that has "U" in its title.

C.Mongler

yeah i'm curious if they are changing the name lol, and i agree it would be cool if they just brought all 4 of the shits over and called it a day

then the like 5 people who like these games and want a new one can shut the fuck up (though i did actually like U it was p good)

TooB

bluaki

Quote from: C.Mongler on August 16, 2018, 10:18:16 AMyeah i'm curious if they are changing the name lol, and i agree it would be cool if they just brought all 4 of the shits over and called it a day

then the like 5 people who like these games and want a new one can shut the fuck up (though i did actually like U it was p good)
The main reason I'd like to see them bundled is honestly just bringing them all into HD with the NSMBU-quality assets, especially the original DS New Super Mario Bros. All-Stars is a great comparison for that since it brought all the NES SMB games into a newly enhanced graphical style.

And I agree, I actually really liked New Super Mario Bros U. It's my favorite game in the series, even if it was an extremely underwhelming release in context because of the similarities with previous games and very close release date to NSMB2.

Quote from: Big Goop on August 16, 2018, 10:20:33 AMI still think the Wii one was the best overall
NSMB Wii was good, but my biggest complaint with it is that all the level designs are overly spacious, obviously to accommodate 4-player multiplayer. NSMB U also has 4P but somehow didn't seem to hinder the 1P level designs for it.

TooB

Thyme

Quote from: bluaki on August 16, 2018, 10:11:09 AMI feel like the New Super Mario Bros series of all things deserves a "New Super Mario All-Stars" release that bundles them all together instead of charging probably full price for a barely-enhanced (if at all) port of just one of them. It's especially silly if they end up with a Switch release that has "U" in its title.

blergh, no

they're not different enough from each other

when you own one, you own them all

and i'm still waiting for my super mario maker port :(

TooB

I was actually gonna post that someone would say this about giving them an allstars treatment lol

bluaki

Quote from: Thyme on August 16, 2018, 10:48:44 AM
Quote from: bluaki on August 16, 2018, 10:11:09 AMI feel like the New Super Mario Bros series of all things deserves a "New Super Mario All-Stars" release that bundles them all together instead of charging probably full price for a barely-enhanced (if at all) port of just one of them. It's especially silly if they end up with a Switch release that has "U" in its title.

blergh, no

they're not different enough from each other

when you own one, you own them all
That's kinda the reason I want (or would expect) them to be bundled together: they're all close enough to being level packs of each other that Nintendo should be able to very easily throw all of them together with the same engine and assets.

C.Mongler

>run mariomaker.exe
>import nsmb.nds nsmbwii.iso nsmb2.3ds nsmbu.iso
>export nsmball-stars.switch

there i did it for you nintendo argh;

bluaki

Quote from: C.Mongler on August 16, 2018, 11:45:32 AM>run mariomaker.exe
>import nsmb.nds nsmbwii.iso nsmb2.3ds nsmbu.iso
>export nsmball-stars.switch

there i did it for you nintendo argh;
Realistically, porting the entire series to the NSMBU engine basically amounts to, of what I can remember:
1. Recreating the levels, mostly with all the same NSMBU graphical assets but maybe just a few pieces would need to be redrawn
2. Recreate the world maps
3. Reimplementing the Gold Block, Gold Flower, Raccoon Suit, Mega Mushroom, and Blue Shell powerups
4. Adding back some controls for those rotating tilting platforms in NSMBWii since I think those were absent in NSMBU

and I think that's it. I don't think there are even any substantial physics differences between the games. That's well within the scope of what a single homebrew developer could do, so it's basically negligible effort at Nintendo's scale.

TooB

They'll all come to switch eventually...

And as separate  $60 releases

WAHAHAHA

bluaki

Quote from: Big Goop on August 16, 2018, 12:14:03 PMThey'll all come to switch eventually...

WAHAHAHA
Nintendo would make Wario proud. Or jealous.

Next up: New Super Wario

TooB

Quote from: bluaki on August 16, 2018, 12:17:36 PM
Quote from: Big Goop on August 16, 2018, 12:14:03 PMThey'll all come to switch eventually...

WAHAHAHA
Nintendo would make Wario proud. Or jealous.

Next up: New Super Wario

Real talk, I would love a new proper wario sidescroller.

ClassicTyler

C.Mongler

i mean i think most of us would like infinite mario levels instead of finite mario levels cmongler;

Go Up