April 16, 2024, 05:14:16 AM

1,531,643 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

strongbad being a hobo thread

Started by strongbad, August 13, 2018, 11:02:36 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

strongbad

Just made it to Oregon! Chilling at a Starbucks past Astoria right now. Last night we camped at Cape Disappointment state park and it was unbelievable. Very cool beaches and a good site. Started biking at around 9am today. Fuck the bridge over the Columbia River. Can't believe that biking over that is legal. I felt like I was going to get hit by a car and fly into the river lol

We're averaging around 60miles a day which is pretty good for my schedule.

Samus Aran

write a book about your hobo experiences

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: antmaster5000 on August 13, 2018, 11:02:36 AMWe're averaging around 60miles a day which is pretty good for my schedule.

jesus befuddlement

Quote from: Samus Aran on August 13, 2018, 11:39:06 AMwrite a book about your hobo experiences

and agreed srsly

strongbad

Didn't really stop in Astoria haha just flew through

Sorry I intended on updating this thread more but I have had less time than expected.

Long term bike touring is a wild lifestyle. Been riding ~6 hrs and ~70 miles a day. Wake up at 630/7, make tea and eat some fruit and breakfast snack food (need to start making oatmeal). Pack up and ride 15-20 miles to the next town and hopefully find a Starbucks (lol) to get caffeinated and abuse their WiFi/charging. Usually do two more 20 mile stretches before we camp. So far we've done state or county parks every night, except for one night where a nice old couple let us stay on their private campsite for free, and another where we stealth camped off the highway. The hiker/biker spots are $5-8 at state parks so don't really mind paying in exchange for water, often a warm shower, and peace of mind. My buddy is on a tighter budget and would rather stealth camp every night but that is not for me as much lol

Just rolled into Eureka CA and am hanging at a Starbucks. Have stayed at some absolutely gorgeous state parks and rode some amazing stretches on the 101. Also some horrifying stretches lol. The red wood forest has been amazing as well. Saw some Elk from afar this morning.

Anything I should be excited for before I get to San Fran? Have about 280 miles and no idea what to expect.

reeper

The area from Northern California to San Fran is very beautiful and covered in trees and some nice mountains (nothing like WA).

It's a long long travel from there though since California is so god damn long.

I like the coastal towns up north like Bodega Bay. They're some small towns with ocean access.

strongbad

cycled down the Avenue of the Giants yesterday and it was definitely a trip highlight so far.  those redwoods are sexy

LCK

those fuckin redwoods bro

I drove the ave of the giants last year and stayed in eureka for a couple days too

Eureka is an interesting place.

strongbad

Lol I got weird vibes from eureka. Didn't hang out too long though.

Started on highway 1 yesterday (which I'll be on pretty much until Cabo, crazy). Planning to arrive to San Francisco on Friday and will spent Saturday enjoying the city. Going to hopefully get some work done on my bike and hit some good cafes and breweries.

Also my gf bought plane tickets to Cabo to arrive Oct 2nd and booked us an Airbnb for a few days before we head back hocuspocus;

C.Mongler

gonna stay on skid row with the other hobos?

don't let's

Have you made a skin suit out of other hobos yet? 

reeper

Quote from: antmaster5000 on August 22, 2018, 08:43:18 AMLol I got weird vibes from eureka. Didn't hang out too long though.

Started on highway 1 yesterday (which I'll be on pretty much until Cabo, crazy). Planning to arrive to San Francisco on Friday and will spent Saturday enjoying the city. Going to hopefully get some work done on my bike and hit some good cafes and breweries.

Also my gf bought plane tickets to Cabo to arrive Oct 2nd and booked us an Airbnb for a few days before we head back hocuspocus;
re in for a treat, the highway 1 is the best highway I've ever driven on in terms of sights and places to stop.

After bodega bay, San Fran and San Jose you'll hit the central coast (Mooro bay, San Luis obispo, Pismo, Avila) it's so beautiful around there. I'd check out Avila beach or at least Pismo if you're close and wanna see a solid California beach before you hit San Diego.

Plus Cabo is one of the best places to vacation in Mexico (though I want to check out Tulum one day). El Archo the water cave is a nice place to get a boat dinner/tour to.

Eureka and stuff is just small mountain town, they have all sorts of nut cases up in just about any mountain- but plenty of amazing people too. Just easy to find those hill billies lol.

Hiro

How are you getting all your stuff back up when you're done

C.Mongler

strongbad

Started in Seattle and did the Olympic peninsula first with a group of friends. Then me and one other guy continued south on the 101.

Thanks for the info reaper. Highway 1 is awesome so far. Less massive huge hills and more steep but short hills. Very pretty though.

Going to get my bike packed in a bike box at a bike shop and then fly home with it. Usually an extra $60 or something. I've seen terrible videos of the workers just throwing your boxed bike around and people having wheels and shit bend akudood;

Go Up