April 19, 2024, 04:38:47 AM

1,531,643 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

procedurally generated games in a halfshell:

Started by Kalahari Inkantation, August 03, 2018, 04:51:07 PM

previous topic - next topic

goodjob;

Agreed.
2 (66.7%)
Disagreed. I will elaborate below.
1 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Go Down

Kalahari Inkantation

confession: after all these years, i still have no idea what the term "r*g**l*k*" implies goowan

Quote from: Thyme on August 04, 2018, 02:11:15 PMsuit yourself ifeelbetter;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T15-xfUr8z4

it's separated in four chapters timestamped in the description, so feel free to take breaks or w/e

there's also a script: https://jphanderson.wordpress.com/2017/04/03/breath-of-the-wild-script/

...this script is longer than my doctoral thesis myface;

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

PROCEDURALLY GENERATED MAPS ARE THE WORST THING TO HAPPEN TO GAMING. WORSE THAT DLC. WORSE THAN PAID ONLINE. WORSE THAN GOD DAMN MARIO PARTY 9. ITS LITERALLY OUTSOURCING GAME DEVELOPMENT TO COMPUTERS. GAME DEVELOPERS ARE PUTTING THEMSELVES OUT OF A JOB SO PLAYERS CAN "HAVE A UNIQUE EXPERIENCE EVERYTIME" FUCK THEM AND FUCK THAT WHOLE MINDSET. FUCK ROGUELIKES. FUCK TH EWORLD

Kalahari Inkantation

C.Mongler

i thought it was pretty clear you meants games where you are surrounded by eternal plain mediocrity with the occasional delightful moments of bliss and joy.

Kalahari Inkantation

not quite but that is a valid interpretation lol

next guess

Thyme

that whatever is generated always ends up being very samey, ie it's gonna be a bowl of cereal no matter what

i didn't question it because it seemed obvious to me as well lol sillydood;

Hiro

i was just about to ask  what the hell a bowl of cereal means

don't let's

They procedurally generate the distribution of marshmallows in the cereal

Kalahari Inkantation

but you guys

it's simply impossible to predict the ratio of corn flakes:marshmallows:milk the next spoonful will contain

you could get a blue marshmallow and three corn flakes

a purple marshmallow, a green marshmallow and two corn flakes

you could even get three marshmallows, one of each color, if you're extremely lucky

And you are GUARANTEED a completely randomized set of marshmallows and corn flakes with every pour from the box. befuddlement

it's an entirely new experience in every bowl

an entirely new experience in every bite

Boyahflakes™: part of a procedurally generated breakfast, a healthy start to a procedurally generated day

Thyme

you're guaranteed a bowl of cereal every time hocuspocus;

Hiro

Frosted Flake Lucky Charms are real good btw

Thyme

Quote from: Thyme on August 03, 2018, 06:47:05 PM
Quote from: C.Mongler on August 03, 2018, 06:22:10 PMcounterpoint: subnautica is good shit

Word? I heard it was janky, but then again the person I heard it from is known to be a Boyah-level grump, so befuddlement

4 years later i can confirm it's janky

Too janky for me, at least. I can recognize why people would love it tho, the sense of exploration is great. But after the rocket platform spawned in diagonal because I built it right above my submarine, I had to call it quits.

Go Up