April 23, 2024, 12:53:24 PM

1,531,645 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

procedurally generated games in a halfshell:

Started by Kalahari Inkantation, August 03, 2018, 04:51:07 PM

previous topic - next topic

goodjob;

Agreed.
2 (66.7%)
Disagreed. I will elaborate below.
1 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Go Down

Kalahari Inkantation

C.Mongler

this is thus far my experience with no man's sky, so no, i won't prove you wrong sir

TooB

what other fully procedurally generated games are there?

C.Mongler

Nyerp

i hate it so much when i find an indie game with a cool art style or gameplay gimmick and then i look in the description and see that fucking word:

r*g**l*k* smithicide;

Thyme

Quote from: Nyerp on August 03, 2018, 06:04:37 PMi hate it so much when i find an indie game with a cool art style or gameplay gimmick and then i look in the description and see that fucking word:

r*g**l*k* smithicide;

lol agreed, or the four horsemen of the apocalypse:

• Early Access
  • Survival
  • Open-world
  • Crafting

C.Mongler

Thyme

Quote from: C.Mongler on August 03, 2018, 06:22:10 PMcounterpoint: subnautica is good shit

Word? I heard it was janky, but then again the person I heard it from is known to be a Boyah-level grump, so befuddlement

Thyme

also tec i was about to recommend you watch his feature-length critique of botw but i'm sure you'd tell me "i'm not watching a 2-hour video telling me things i already know srsly" sillydood;

TooB

Counterpoint: Dragon Quest Builders is awesome.

Mando Pandango

would Rogue Legacy be considered procedurally generated? That game is great
Quote from: Magyarorszag on August 22, 2018, 10:27:46 PMjesus absolute shitdicking christ, nu-boyah

Kalahari Inkantation

August 04, 2018, 10:37:11 AM #12 Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 10:42:39 AM by Magyarorszag
Quote from: Thyme on August 03, 2018, 06:50:18 PMalso tec i was about to recommend you watch his feature-length critique of botw but i'm sure you'd tell me "i'm not watching a 2-hour video telling me things i already know srsly" sillydood;

i mean i'll watch it if you think i should, it's possible he's identified some problems that i failed to notice or forgot to mention, and it's also possible (esp. if his rant is two hours long) that he takes issues with some things that even i didn't find all that problematic

I'll just have to turn it up to 2x speed. Jesus Christ, what sort of Youtube viewer has that kind of attention span, and for some random nu-male's video game rant of all things? myface;

strongbad

i think procedurally generated games (done well) are some of the best experiences in gaming. you actually have to learn the mechanics as opposed to memorizing specific level design (which also has it's place in shmups and other games)

some of the best gaming experiences i've ever had have been in nethack, dcss, and spelunky. you find yourself in incredibly interesting situations that nobody pre-planned for you.

EDIT: if there is no permadeath procedural generation is dumb

Thyme

Quote from: Magyarorszag on August 04, 2018, 10:37:11 AM
Quote from: Thyme on August 03, 2018, 06:50:18 PMalso tec i was about to recommend you watch his feature-length critique of botw but i'm sure you'd tell me "i'm not watching a 2-hour video telling me things i already know srsly" sillydood;

i mean i'll watch it if you think i should, it's possible he's identified some problems that i failed to notice or forgot to mention, and it's also possible (esp. if his rant is two hours long) that he takes issues with some things that even i didn't find all that problematic

I'll just have to turn it up to 2x speed. Jesus Christ, what sort of Youtube viewer has that kind of attention span, and for some random nu-male's video game rant of all things? myface;

suit yourself ifeelbetter;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T15-xfUr8z4

it's separated in four chapters timestamped in the description, so feel free to take breaks or w/e

there's also a script: https://jphanderson.wordpress.com/2017/04/03/breath-of-the-wild-script/

Go Up