The true future of gaming: not having a whole game on the disc

Started by bluaki, August 01, 2018, 11:47:46 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

TooB

I'm ok with digital p4d, since I have it on vita, but yeah, still is lame

TooB

https://youtu.be/6SeUUfKkzZI

I guess there's still some hope for this crappy spyro situation.

I wanna be optimistic.

bluaki

Update on Spyro since it launches today:
the game ships with 31GB of content, but as was originally reported, only Spyro 1 is playable
after an additional 19GB day-1 update patch, Spyro 2 and 3 become playable.

Interestingly, this adds up to exactly the 50GB limit of content that could've been (but isn't) on a single BD50 disc sillydood;

also I made this thread before we found out RDR2 would be the first 2-disc PS4 game

TooB

Somehow I doubt they couldn't have compressed the game a bit more to be safe.

Whatever. I'll wait for a sale.

$20 IS when I'll buy it

YPrrrr

TooB

Quote from: YPrrrr on November 13, 2018, 01:23:38 PMI just want it on Switch pls

Then prepare for that glorious switch cover with the top 3rd all white with text exclaiming that you "may need an sd card."

YPrrrr

Quote from: Big Goop on November 13, 2018, 01:40:41 PM
Quote from: YPrrrr on November 13, 2018, 01:23:38 PMI just want it on Switch pls

Then prepare for that glorious switch cover with the top 3rd all white with text exclaiming that you "may need an sd card."
It can take up the whole box as long as I can play it!

bluaki

Quote from: Big Goop on November 13, 2018, 12:17:09 PMSomehow I doubt they couldn't have compressed the game a bit more to be safe.
My point is that it looks like they definitely could've fit all this content on the disc and they simply chose not to for whatever inexplicable reasons. Amusingly enough on top of that, they still crossed into requiring a dual-layer disc, so this decision doesn't even save them any money. They're spending just as much to half-fill a 50GB disc with only 31GB of data as they would spend to fill it to capacity.

Even though the download size for both the game and the patch combined add up to 50GB, it actually consumes 67.5GB of your hard drive space once installed because the installation decompresses some files.

All these numbers I'm giving are for the PS4 version. The Xbox One version has all-around bigger numbers, so unlike the PS4 version, its total download size is well above the limit of a dual-layer Blu-Ray disc.

Quote from: Big Goop on November 13, 2018, 12:17:09 PMWhatever. I'll wait for a sale.

$20 IS when I'll buy it
Thankfully they didn't price it at the full $60 of a typical retail game. It's $40 at launch. So seeing it go on sale for half that in a year or so doesn't seem like that much of a stretch.

TooB

strongbad

okay partially just being a devil's advocate, but so what?

TooB

Quote from: antmaster5000 on November 13, 2018, 05:37:27 PMokay partially just being a devil's advocate, but so what?

About spyro not being fully on disc?

If you don't see or have a problem with that, then there is no "so what."

Edit: not meant to sound as dickish as it does.

strongbad

Quote from: Big Goop on November 13, 2018, 06:14:17 PM
Quote from: antmaster5000 on November 13, 2018, 05:37:27 PMokay partially just being a devil's advocate, but so what?

I mean yeah it is kind of annoying but it's a minor inconvenience if nothing else

I don't understand why people buy physical media at all anymore so maybe that influences me

TooB

Quote from: antmaster5000 on November 13, 2018, 08:37:48 PM
Quote from: Big Goop on November 13, 2018, 06:14:17 PM

I mean yeah it is kind of annoying but it's a minor inconvenience if nothing else

I don't understand why people buy physical media at all anymore so maybe that influences me

Well, here's a couple examples of the problem with digital....

Go to the psn store or xbla and try to get Scott Pilgrim, The Simpsons or X-Men arcade games.

I mean, sure if they're still on your hdd, you can still play them, but with the sizes of games now (spyro being around 50 gigs) sometimes uninstalling a game may be necessary.

So, what if psn servers for that game go down in so many years? What if your hdd fails at that point?

Welp, you just lost spyro 2 and 3 in that "collection" you bought.
Idk, it's just something that bothers me, because I like to actually own what I buy.

bluaki

Quote from: Big Goop on November 13, 2018, 10:02:57 PMWhat if your hdd fails at that point?
If you have an overabundance of storage space on your PC, it's technically possible to create a backup of your PS3 or PS4 hard drive, by imaging the full hard drive into a single file that's like 1TB or however big the drive is. Unfortunately, because of encryption, even if the only data you care about is a single game that's like 2GB, you'll still need to image the entire drive's capacity. If the hard drive fails, you can write the backup image to a new drive that is the same capacity (exactly to the byte) or larger and the console will think it's the same drive.

Wii/3DS/Switch are a bit nicer about this because their SD cards have an unencrypted FAT filesystem (with encryption only at the file level), so a full backup only needs as much space as the actual data being stored.

Either way, if the motherboard inside your console fails, that backup immediately becomes worthless and you can't bring it over to a replacement console.

Go Up