The true future of gaming: not having a whole game on the disc

Started by bluaki, August 01, 2018, 11:47:46 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

bluaki

The latest culprit: Activision didn't feel like putting more than one-third of Spyro Reignited Trilogy on the disc, so you need a day 1 update before playing Spyro 2 or 3. Source: https://gematsu.com/2018/08/spyro-reignited-trilogy-requires-content-download-to-play-spyro-2-and-3

In this case, at least the extra content is in the form of an update. There's no download code included, which means game-sharing still works. No word yet on how big the update is; do you have to download the entirety of those two games or are the assets mostly on-disc and they just couldn't get the code working on time?

Before this, of course, Capcom also doesn't know how to put a whole Mega Man collection on one disc or cart.

TooB

Yeah, I've been getting more and more afraid of this as the months and years go on.

Like, what makes them think this is a better decision? If you need to finish some work on the game before it goes gold, that you need a patch to make 2/3 of your game playable, maybe you might wanna delay?

Nyerp

the future of gaming is mandatory streaming and once we reach that point i'll quit forever

TooB

Quote from: Nyerp on August 01, 2018, 11:57:35 PMthe future of gaming is mandatory streaming and once we reach that point i'll quit forever

Honestly, I'm kinda thinking the same thing.

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: Nyerp on August 01, 2018, 11:57:35 PMthe future of gaming is mandatory streaming and once we reach that point i'll quit forever

sadly this is inevitable, and perhaps the only reason it hasn't happened yet is because american internet infrastructure is absolute shite

bluaki

I wonder which one we'll have first: notable streaming-exclusive games or always-online DRM (maybe with a subscription too for good measure) in a console game that should be playable as single-player.

Whichever one happens, I'm out. At least it looks like the next generation will remain playable without streaming if you get the right hardware

YPrrrr

C.Mongler

don't let's

Quote from: YPargh on August 02, 2018, 04:43:16 AMYeah PC games have been like that for a while now blah
I got the disc for Prey and it just had some language stuff in there and I had to download the whole thing on steam

Samus Aran

C.Mongler

pc games havent legit come on discs since like 2013 where have u guys been lol

C.Mongler

bluaki

Update: the Spyro trilogy was delayed two months, from September to November, but Activision confirmed they're still not fixing the mandatory day1 patch to play more than one-third of the game at all.

In other probably-not-news that I just noticed when browsing Amazon: the Persona Dancing 3+5 limited edition bundle, aside from being $20 cheaper than buying both games separately (why are they even two separate games in the first place?) and bundling an artbook, also says this in the product description:
QuoteAlso includes a digital download code for Persona 4: Dancing All Night for the PlayStation 4 - the only way to get P4D on PS4!
I find it hard to justify not giving this port of P4D a physical release in the first place considering how well Persona series sells, but on top of that does this mean you can't even buy the PS4 port of P4D on PSN after it launches? Only people who bought the limited edition before it ran out can obtain it? This kind of artificial scarcity on a download-exclusive product is insane. This is similar to but way worse than all those preorder-exclusive retailer-exclusive DLC: locking a whole game behind preorder?

Here's a great way to make everyone unhappy: people who prefer digital games have to buy a physical release of P3D+P5D in order to get the digital version of P4D, people who prefer physical games can't get P4D on disc at all, people who don't buy preorders or limited editions miss out on a whole game, etc.

YPrrrr

Damn I was really hoping they'd get Spyro on a disc. This is going to suck when they discontinue PS4 online support

Thyme

Go Up