March 23, 2019, 05:30:58 AM

1,535,836 Posts in 46,068 Topics by 1,070 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

The true future of gaming: not having a whole game on the disc

Started by bluaki, August 01, 2018, 11:47:46 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

antmaster5000

Quote from: Big Goop on November 13, 2018, 06:14:17 PM
Quote from: antmaster5000 on November 13, 2018, 05:37:27 PMokay partially just being a devil's advocate, but so what?

About spyro not being fully on disc?

If you don't see or have a problem with that, then there is no "so what."

Edit: not meant to sound as dickish as it does.
I mean yeah it is kind of annoying but it's a minor inconvenience if nothing else

I don't understand why people buy physical media at all anymore so maybe that influences me

TooB

Quote from: antmaster5000 on November 13, 2018, 08:37:48 PM
Quote from: Big Goop on November 13, 2018, 06:14:17 PM
Quote from: antmaster5000 on November 13, 2018, 05:37:27 PMokay partially just being a devil's advocate, but so what?

About spyro not being fully on disc?

If you don't see or have a problem with that, then there is no "so what."

Edit: not meant to sound as dickish as it does.
I mean yeah it is kind of annoying but it's a minor inconvenience if nothing else

I don't understand why people buy physical media at all anymore so maybe that influences me

Well, here's a couple examples of the problem with digital....

Go to the psn store or xbla and try to get Scott Pilgrim, The Simpsons or X-Men arcade games.

I mean, sure if they're still on your hdd, you can still play them, but with the sizes of games now (spyro being around 50 gigs) sometimes uninstalling a game may be necessary.

So, what if psn servers for that game go down in so many years? What if your hdd fails at that point?

Welp, you just lost spyro 2 and 3 in that "collection" you bought.
Idk, it's just something that bothers me, because I like to actually own what I buy.

bluaki

Quote from: Big Goop on November 13, 2018, 10:02:57 PMWhat if your hdd fails at that point?
If you have an overabundance of storage space on your PC, it's technically possible to create a backup of your PS3 or PS4 hard drive, by imaging the full hard drive into a single file that's like 1TB or however big the drive is. Unfortunately, because of encryption, even if the only data you care about is a single game that's like 2GB, you'll still need to image the entire drive's capacity. If the hard drive fails, you can write the backup image to a new drive that is the same capacity (exactly to the byte) or larger and the console will think it's the same drive.

Wii/3DS/Switch are a bit nicer about this because their SD cards have an unencrypted FAT filesystem (with encryption only at the file level), so a full backup only needs as much space as the actual data being stored.

Either way, if the motherboard inside your console fails, that backup immediately becomes worthless and you can't bring it over to a replacement console.

Go Up