April 24, 2024, 01:21:45 PM

1,531,645 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

huge flaws in ur favorite games

Started by Samus Aran, July 30, 2018, 10:29:09 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

TooB

Quote from: Magyarorszag on August 01, 2018, 11:08:34 AMYou guys can have Trashley. I'll take Sheva.

I'd rather play as sheva, but then Chris becomes worse than Ashley.

Samus Aran

Quote from: C.Mongler on August 01, 2018, 04:55:07 AM
Quote from: Samus Aran on August 01, 2018, 12:47:13 AMit ramps up the tension

no it doesn't

Quote from: Samus Aran on August 01, 2018, 12:47:13 AMand it's VERY forgiving anyway in this regard

yeah, cuz it's boring

it's like mom telling you you have to make your bed before playing video games. is it that much of a hassle? not really. would i rather just not? yeah.

then hide her. it's literally almost always possible to simply hide her out of sight/range of enemies by simply telling her to wait, even when there's no dumpster to hide in

Kalahari Inkantation

actual complaint about re4:

what the fuck; is the point of distracting the player with such a banal task as basic inventory management

it just pointlessly diverts attention from the main game and wastes time :|

why does this grown man need mother to pack his lunchbox

Samus Aran

what, you think the game should just let you carry everything you pick up? what game does that?

or are you referring to the fact that the game unfortunately doesn't organize things in the case in such a way that uses all the space efficiently? because that bit is slightly annoying but it's such a tiny thing i've never even thought of it as a genuine flaw

i hope you're not genuinely feeling like the game doesn't let you carry enough stuff though because re4 lets you carry way, way more than is necessary lol. it's baby resident evil in that regard.

Kalahari Inkantation

no, i don't necessarily mind having a limited inventory, sometimes that's totally appropriate for balance reasons

Quote from: Samus Aran on August 03, 2018, 09:37:48 PMor are you referring to the fact that the game unfortunately doesn't organize things in the case in such a way that uses all the space efficiently?

this is what i'm referring to specifically, and indeed it is annoying and feels like a pointless time killer to have to go and solve this extremely basic puzzle minigame every time you pick up a new item

it's not a "huge" flaw but it's perhaps re4's most obvious fault (which i guess says a lot about just how good re4 is in general lol)

Samus Aran

confession: i take pleasure in organizing it very neatly goowan

Thyme

Samus Aran

here's another small nitpick i have about my favorite game. the wrecked ship in super metroid feels kinda...tacked on? like it doesn't really make a ton of sense in the overall context of the world, it doesn't really segue nicely into crateria and the actual interior of the ship doesn't really make any sense either - it doesn't feel like a ship at all.

Kalahari Inkantation

big 2d metroid nitpick and probably my only complaint about the 2d metroids in general (or super metroid and zero mission, at least):

the pacing of those games would be virtually flawless if not for the fact that enhancements like missile capacity upgrades/energy tanks/etc. are all randomly strewn about the map and essentially require you to play hide-and-seek to find them (or consult a guide)

sometimes their locations are obvious, but sometimes it means basically scanning and bombing arbitrary walls until you find a thing, which i think interferes with the otherwise excellent flow of those games

in fact, that is probably the only significant thing that makes super metroid any less than perfect lol

Kalahari Inkantation

mega tlou spoils:

the sequence of events between the end of the aqueduct (ellie passes out and both are captured by fireflies) to the end of the hospital is the most contorted, contrived part of an otherwise extremely natural-feeling experience

i mean i get why it kind of had to be but it still feels inconsistent with the rest of the game and leaves a mildly unpleasant aftertaste akudood;

C.Mongler

Quote from: Magyarorszag on August 04, 2018, 10:50:54 AMbig 2d metroid nitpick and probably my only complaint about the 2d metroids in general (or super metroid and zero mission, at least):

the pacing of those games would be virtually flawless if not for the fact that enhancements like missile capacity upgrades/energy tanks/etc. are all randomly strewn about the map and essentially require you to play hide-and-seek to find them (or consult a guide)

sometimes their locations are obvious, but sometimes it means basically scanning and bombing arbitrary walls until you find a thing, which i think interferes with the otherwise excellent flow of those games

in fact, that is probably the only significant thing that makes super metroid any less than perfect lol
yeah i kind of lose a lot of enjoyment out of metroid/metroid-like games because of this. i really liked Samus Returns inclusion of a WHEREDEYAT? button, however that game just had a lot of repetitiveness in bosses that counteracted the good will I had for it for including that feature so cmongler; lol

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: C.Mongler on August 17, 2018, 06:58:21 AMhowever that game just had a lot of repetitiveness in bosses

Well, it is a remake of Metroid II. I guess they couldn't stray from the source material too much. sillydood;

Samus Aran

they did try to stir things up slightly, but it still ultimately does have that same problem of repetitive metroid boss fights yeah

Go Up