April 16, 2024, 12:43:33 PM

1,531,643 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Twilight Princess critique

Started by Hiro, July 30, 2018, 09:39:54 PM

previous topic - next topic

What would you rate Twilight Princess out of 5?

1 (5 or 6/10)
3 (30%)
2 (7/10)
2 (20%)
3 (8/10)
3 (30%)
4 (9/10)
1 (10%)
5 (10/10)
1 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Go Down

TooB

Samus Aran

that isn't really that awkward Tec lol

imo the actual bad cutscene in that game is the backstory of the DARK MAGICIANS that created the helmet thingy, and it's really only bad because for some bizarre reason it uses Link and his girlfriend as the character models for everything in it

TooB

Quote from: Samus Aran on July 30, 2018, 09:59:47 PMthat isn't really that awkward Tec lol

imo the actual bad cutscene in that game is the backstory of the DARK MAGICIANS that created the helmet thingy, and it's really only bad because for some bizarre reason it uses Link and his girlfriend as the character models for everything in it
is that the scene with all the dark links and their dumb evil smiles?

Samus Aran

Quote from: Big Goop on July 30, 2018, 10:00:59 PM
Quote from: Samus Aran on July 30, 2018, 09:59:47 PMthat isn't really that awkward Tec lol

hat the scene with all the dark links and their dumb evil smiles?

yes

Hiro

Quote from: Samus Aran on July 30, 2018, 09:53:56 PMi don't really like the weird idea game journalism has that 5/10 (which you're translating to 1/5) is bottom of the barrel godawful irredeemably bad and that games only become playable at 7/10
I mean I agree that it shouldn't be that way, but that's the way perceptions are at this point
again, I don't even think a 10 scale makes sense for ratings. What games do you think are a 4/10 vs a 1/10? Is a 5 or lower even worth buying, even if 5 means it's just fine?
Here's why I like the 7 scale:
1 - bad, do not at all recommend to anyone
2 - not good, maybe someone would like it though
3 - below average, has some redeeming qualities
4 - average, totally fine and worthwhile but not a favorite
5 - good or great, would recommend
6 - excellent, found it to be very noteworthy and memorable
7 - fantastic, possibly a new favorite and top 3 of the year

Hiro

also HOLY FUCKING SHIT THE LIGHTING IN THIS GAME IS DISGUSTING

Samus Aran

Quote from: Hiro on July 30, 2018, 10:03:50 PMalso HOLY FUCKING SHIT THE LIGHTING IN THIS GAME IS DISGUSTING

yeah all the bloom and brown is honestly the worst thing about the game's visuals lol, the ugly character models aren't as offensive to me as just the general look of the game

Kalahari Inkantation

tp was designed from the ground up to be the Next-Gen™ oot in all senses, lol

Thyme

now that you explain it it makes a lot of sense hiro

the 10 scale only makes sense because we're used to it because of school
and with this scale people tend to grade things like they would a test, ie anything below a 60 or 50 (depending on your school) being a failing grade

TooB

Quote from: Magyarorszag on July 30, 2018, 10:07:53 PMtp was designed from the ground up to be the Next-Gen™ oot in all senses, lol

True. Honestly, most games around this time look bad because devs thought bloom was a good thing.

TooB

Quote from: Thyme on July 30, 2018, 10:08:52 PMnow that you explain it it makes a lot of sense hiro

and with this scale people tend to grade things like they would a test, ie anything below a 60 or 50 (depending on your school) being a failing grade

I remember EGM had a 10 scale, but their 5 was average.

Hiro

Quote from: Thyme on July 30, 2018, 10:08:52 PMnow that you explain it it makes a lot of sense hiro

absolutely, yes. I basically treat 4 as a middle, and then there are 3 degrees of above or below average to give a good distinction between ratings.

Quote from: Big Goop on July 30, 2018, 10:09:39 PM

as someone who subscribed to EGM for a few years, a 5 was not average for them. While they were a bit tougher and  used the scale a  bit more, any decent game got a 7 or above, and bad games were a 5 or lower. 6 I remember being kind of mediocre in their ratings.

TooB

Quote from: Hiro on July 30, 2018, 10:14:31 PM

absolutely, yes. I basically treat 4 as a middle, and then there are 3 degrees of above or below average to give a good distinction between ratings.

Quote from: Big Goop on July 30, 2018, 10:09:39 PM

omeone who subscribed EGM for a few years, a 5 was not average for them. While they were a bit tougher and  used the scale a  bit more, any decent game got a 7 or above, and bad games were a 5 or lower. 6 I remember being kind of mediocre in their ratings.

Except when you read their ratings scale, they outright stated 5 is average.

Maybe they changed for newer issues, but that's what it was when I read them mid 00's

Samus Aran

agreed i actually like hiro's 7 scale a lot now that it's been explained

it's not really much different from what i consider a "proper" 10 scale, it just cuts down on the unnecessary extra slight differences in badness in the 2-4 area (which end up using words that are practically synonyms anyway)

good scale hiro good job

Hiro

what they say isn't the same as what they do
I read them from 2004 until their first closure in 2009

Quote from: Samus Aran on July 30, 2018, 10:21:33 PM

agreed i actually like hiro's 7 scale a lot now that it's been explained

it's not really much different from what i consider a "proper" 10 scale, it just cuts down on the unnecessary extra slight differences in badness in the 2-4 area (which end up using words that are practically synonyms anyway)

good scale hiro good job
i thought i'd explained it before but i'm glad some of you like it now wrench;
that's basically my reasoning for it, it can be seen as either a pared down 10 scale or an expanded 5 scale

Go Up