April 23, 2024, 12:03:16 AM

1,531,645 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

hot take

Started by Nyerp, July 30, 2018, 06:23:08 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Thyme

Quote from: Hiro on July 30, 2018, 08:34:32 PMalso hot take: the ps4 doesn't have that many great games and this gen as a whole was a big disappointment

idk man i'm not gonna be rude to the gen that gave me witcher 3, persona 5 and breath of the wild

Thyme

there's your hot new way to do spoiler text btw hocuspocus;

Hiro

I mean the Switch is technically next-gen lol

Quote from: Thyme on July 30, 2018, 09:17:17 PMthere's your hot new way to do spoiler text btw hocuspocus;
nice I've been wondering how to do something like that
like why is there no highlight option anymore

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: Samus Aran on July 30, 2018, 09:05:23 PMjrpgs that feel like their exorbitant lengths are (mostly) justified

i wanted to ask this myself

What are some other examples? befuddlement

Samus Aran

i can't think of any other examples off the top of my head, most of my favorite jrpgs are around the sweet spot of 30-50 hours long

TooB

I can't think of a game off the top of my head that takes more than  around 40 hours without adding in sidequests or something.

Kalahari Inkantation

July 31, 2018, 10:11:31 AM #21 Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 10:15:41 AM by Magyarorszag
Quote from: Hiro on July 30, 2018, 08:34:32 PMalso hot take: the ps4 doesn't have that many great games and this gen as a whole was a big disappointment

not exactly the hottest of takes but nonetheless i completely agree

gen 8 utterly pales in comparison to gen 7, the universally-agreed-upon greatest generation of all time

every single gen 8 console is tremendously worse than its predecessor lol

silvertone

switch seems better than wii u

Kalahari Inkantation

switch, as of now, is just Wii U2

ME##

The Switch is the Wii U with good press

Nyerp

Quote from: Big Goop on July 30, 2018, 09:50:49 PMI can't think of a game off the top of my head that takes more than  around 40 hours without adding in sidequests or something.
according hl2b, tales of vesperia takes 50 hours if you ignore everything and ~70 if you don't. however, hl2b is a small website and only 252 people have their vesperia playtimes logged on it so maybe it isn't the best metric but i don't know about any other sites like it.

sidequests should be considered because most people don't completely ignore them. also, if you start thinking only about how long it takes the fastest players, then the logical conclusion is using speedruns as a basis which aren't representative of the average player's experience at all.

the witcher 3 is a good example of a game that lasts well over 40 hours for most people (probably at least twice that amount) and in my opinion it stretches some really good content across gigantic maps that bloat the experience. all the best stuff is in the sidequests, but your average player will likely fall into the trap of actually exploring the wilderness for 20 hours so they can cross those little map icons off their list, hoping to find something that isn't pointless filler (and ultimately failing).

Quote from: Magyarorszag on July 31, 2018, 10:11:31 AM

not exactly the hottest of takes but nonetheless i completely agree

gen 8 utterly pales in comparison to gen 7, the universally-agreed-upon greatest generation of all time

every single gen 8 console is tremendously worse than its predecessor lol
hot take the ps3 was a piece of fucking shit

if you have a good pc i can see why the ps4 has little appeal but i don't and my ps4 library is always expanding with good games. it's probably the console i've gotten the most enjoyment out of ever

name 5 good ps3 games lmao

TooB

Or at least 5 that aren't also available on ps4 now.....

TooB

This gen gave me Nier Automata.....

That alone makes me consider it better than 7

silvertone

Go Up