March 28, 2024, 01:30:13 AM

1,531,609 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Speedrunning

Started by Samus Aran, July 27, 2018, 08:49:02 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Samus Aran

yooo brought that sm64 down to 23:01!! even with tons of mistakes (died twice in HMC lmfao and also fucked up talon star and bowser fire sea a little bit)

the key is consistency. getting the general movement and strats down to the point where, even if you fuck up a bit here and there, you can continue to improve your overall time

i've pretty much got the first three worlds down pat. bowser 1 is still a bit slow but it's because i'm not yet comfortable with riskier strats. shifting sand land is SUPPOSED to be really easy but somehow even though i can do both stars perfectly when practicing, i end up choking during runs and losing like 30 seconds. same with the one star in lethal lava land. i lose like 10 seconds there every time because of some stupid mistake. hazy maze cave is usually fine, i messed up a lot in it this time tho.

honestly the biggest problem is the backwards long jump glitch. i'm still not consistent with it. sometimes i get it fast, sometimes i don't, and it's tough for me to feel like there's much i can do about it.

Samus Aran

son of a fucking bitch

i was on my best pace yet, an EASY 21:30 at worst. and who fucking completely choked on final Bowser? this guy. holy shit. almost an entire minute lost due to terrible throws. I EVEN ALMOST FELL OFF THE STAGE ONCE.

22:24. still my best time yet, but i'm SO mad i choked so bad after such an otherwise good run with only a couple mishaps.

Samus Aran

now down to a sloppy 21:19

y'all it feels so good to actually be getting better at this lmao. still soooo trash at bowser stages tho

Nyerp

Samus Aran

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVbbUcvwivA

here's the video

major time losses:

-slow and overly safe bowser level 1 (i'm still not very confident about this level), plus a few mistakes in it too
-completely fucking up lethal lava land red coins
-missed catching MIPS early, MIPS skip also somewhat slow
-as always, taking too long to do the BLJ staircases
-very slow bowser level 3. actually got to the point where i just gave up trying to do the wood blocks the fast way, and just rode the moving platform so as to not jeopardize my run even further

minor time losses:

-wallkick fuck up in whomp's tower (wild blue)
-triple jump bonk in whomp's tower (trying to get up to whomp). also mess up landing in the right spot after the boss fight.
-wallkick fuck up in whomp's tower (climbing the white tower)
-waste some time setting up wallkick angle in hazy maze cave
-wallkick fuck up in hazy maze cave (watch for rolling rocks)
-slow start to bowser fire sea, but this is only minor because i still make the cycle of the moving platforms

all in all, yeah it's pretty bad lmao. very sloppy. if i had a run that "felt" this good again, but with less bowser level mistakes, it could easily be under 20 min

Samus Aran

so in addition to mario 16 star, i decided to pick up a more relaxing, longer run of a different game as well. dkc2. it's not a very oft-run game, tho it definitely has its own small community. i'm mostly interested in any% because it's really fun to blow through the first two worlds with warp barrels. now i just gotta learn some wrong warps and skips.

strongbad

Quote from: Samus Aran on February 25, 2019, 08:28:56 PMso in addition to mario 16 star, i decided to pick up a more relaxing, longer run of a different game as well. dkc2. it's not a very oft-run game, tho it definitely has its own small community. i'm mostly interested in any% because it's really fun to blow through the first two worlds with warp barrels. now i just gotta learn some wrong warps and skips.
the old top melee player in WA (silentwolf, has retired due to hand problems) had some pretty high up times for dkc and dkc3 which i always thought was neat

they look like good games to run

Samus Aran

lmao this thread is funny for me to look back at my old awful times

my current 16 star pb is 18:24, on console. i take speedrunning mario slightly more seriously now i guess, and stream it semi-regularly

and ive recently been working on 70 star. pb currently is garbage, at like 1:04:xx, but with my current skills i can definitely pretty easily get a sub 1 hour time if i get a good run going

Samus Aran

i also briefly took up super metroid speedrunning, and regularly do randomizer races of super metroid with my girlfriend (she is considerably better than me at rando, i'm only better at running the vanilla game)

here's my splits for super metroid. for the record, "hamburger" refers to the first power bomb pack, "mode 7" refers to phantoon being defeated, "gravy" refers to gravity suit, "g4" refers to entering the golden 4 statue room above tourian, and "babysitting" refers to getting grabbed by THE BABY a few rooms before the final boss with mother brain

but yeah, 1:06:20 is my super metroid pb. i don't take this game's speedrun quite seriously enough to push it much lower any time soon, but i might get back to it eventually.

oh also "kpdr" refers to the boss route. doing kraid, phantoon, draygon, and then ridley is basically the vanilla, intended route. but it's actually faster (and much harder) to do phantoon first. i aint doin that shit tho lmao

Go Up